PDA

View Full Version : This V3i Sure Finds Small Stuff!

MartinL
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
I should maybe write this in general discussions, oh well, here it goes anyway. My neighbor used about 2 1/2 of my back property for his horses, and a few days ago he had the land disc-d up with a tractor and disk. It was a small rig, but it still turned under most all of the stubble, so I've been hunting it for maybe 2-3 hours since yesterday. I've had the V3i in intense tweak mode up front for quite some time, so it was ready for a good day or two. First off, there obviously was not much human activity back there because so far I've only found a scant bit of junk metal, the signals above -5 Vdi are rare, except for one thing...airgun pellets. I know there's be some behind my 55 yard airgun targets out in the field, as I shoot into the backside of my pond, so I chose to stay further back in the field. Still, even out at 100-150 yards, I got these vdi numbers of 3 and sometimes 8, and danged if the V hasn't pulled one of these small pellets out of nowhere. The .177 cal pellets are the Vdi=3, and 8 means a .22 cal. The .177 is less than the size of a 14 carat diamond. Two amazing things struck me. One, the V can find such a tiny object. Two, the guns can carry that far. I also found what looked like a 38 or 357 slug, along with another I couldn't identify, and also 22 cal rimfire casings. The V3i ain't no slouch ;-)

Besides the small pellet finds, I found one of those snaps like you used to get on plaid, wollen shirts...maybe you still do. Very small in itself! I still have well over 80 percent of the field to do, at least in one pattern, but I can fairly guarantee finds will be slim. Good exercise and good weather though, and you sure can't beat the digging when you mostly just shove the PPr into the loose soil. Not always but mostly. Using the 10 coil is cool without the stubble too.

Nothing fancy, but a fun couple of days. I think I will post pics up in general discussions anyway. martin