PDA

View Full Version : Just Junk From My Own Field

MartinL
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I've never posted any pics here, so why not. I spent part of yesterday and today in my back 2.5 acres, which was freshly turned under with a disc, shallow but nice digging without all the stubble. Here's the loot with about 80% left to walk off and hunt. Check the size of the small airgun pellets. The detector is working pretty good to screen those out of nowhere. Not terrible for 2-3 hours. It was just good to get outside, and the digging was easy. Sure ain't much back there though. Oh, I forgot, I did find two horse shoes. That's lucky isn't it ;-) martin

del
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
some pretty small targets Martin , what was the deepest target you recovered??

OxShoeDrew
11-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Martin, That's a lot of targets in a short time |:cheering:....is the field adjacent to your house? Is the field fairly homogeneous in metal content?

MartinL
11-14-2011, 09:17 PM
The deepest I've dug so far has been 6, most was down just 3-4. I currently discriminate everything under Vdi -5, unless it hits big, and then I just get curious enough to get it out to see what it is. I haven't taken my shovel back there yet, and there are a few holes I began that I'll dig later with the shovel. I do hear a lot of targets down in the iron range and I may get back and open up the discrimination and see what those are in time. Yes, it is attatched to the house, but there's a tree line and a stock pond near the house seperating it from common use.

A small pile of that flat, rusty metal junk came from one dig, so the finds do look bigger for the hunt time. I didn't keep everything either though. The part I have left to pace off is more in-line with the actual house, so I may get more interesting stuff later. My neighbor has maybe 10 acres, and I might get permission to check his out as well. I let him use my property, so I expect he'll say OK. Thing is, I think he may have quams aboout the holes since his horses could be at risk, so I may stick to the Leshe on his. I will of course reassure him that my holes will be nothing to be concerned over. In theory, not much of his land should be better than mine for targets since he built here after I bought in, but it sure would make for a nice fall for me to have the place to kill time in. martin

MartinL
11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I spent more time in the field today. Looks as if I found the other part of that snap, those odds would be steep though. More modern bullets and general trash, plus a 4th horse shoe. Third one down on the bullets photo is a flattened .177 airgun pellet, and assuming that it's one of mine, that sucker was at least 200 yards from the shooting bench at the house. I did dig several negative signals, like for the pliers. That brings up a question for you relic hunters. Do you attempt not to dig targets indicated purely as iron? My factory program in the V3i for Relic hunting cuts off everything below Vdi zero, like relic hunters don't want those targets. Is this correct?

Thanks. martin

del
11-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Martin i can olny speak for myself about relic hunting and iron ...

through trial and error i've have set up my machine to let me hear the iron in the ground but the smaller pieces like nail bits will mostly null out or sound very choppy or erratic at best . the large iron items like ox shoes , gun parts or tools will sound off better because of size and shape and where i set the discrimination. i do tend to dig some of the larger nails or spikes with the big heads because they fool the machine just enough to give you that great iffy sound but because of this i have recovered a many good coins laying next to the iron . other than the machines standard discriminator there are other forms of discriminating i can use like tone i.d. , sizing a target while its still in the ground , discriminating by depth and even using the signagraph on my machine to look for the telltale sign of smearing on iron . the better at knowing your machine's strengths and weaknesses and using all of its tools the better oof you'll be and the more successful too.

Dan

MartinL
11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
My V3i seems to do a fair job in mixed mode when it comes to a decision of what iron targets to dig. Between smearing on the display and the warbly tones, compared to the tone hits along with the 3 freqs lining up...I dig. I'm not to sure that would be the case on deeper targets though. This is really the first relic style hunting I've done, so I'm learning stuff. Thanks. Martin