PDA

View Full Version : Angel's advice pays off

jkress
11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
With frozen ground just around the corner, I made room for a late afternoon two hour hunt.

I've been very happy with my park hunting results this year but I still feel like I am probably missing many silver coins from the heavy trash areas.

So... to the expert I went with more questions a couple days ago. Once again, Angel had fantastic insight for tapping into coins I consider to be from the 'Forbidden Layer'. lol

Taking his advice for one directional targets, I headed to a park that has not produced for me on my last couple of trips. Started right in a trashy area that I felt had to hold more coins. After some experimenting, I pulled a Wheat cent. Feeling a little more confident with what I was listening for, soon another Wheat popped up. Then the Roosevelt, more wheats, the Barber :happydance01: , another Wheat, and finally the Merc.

I was amazed at what was still resting in a small 20x30 foot section of pull tabs and iron. Of course I ended up with 5 or 6 rusty square nails and a few of the rectangular pull tabs that almost sound like IH's... but I'll take that ratio of iron to keepers any day of the week. <:
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-188.jpg

Thanks again Angel. thumbsup01

CODY
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice finds! :perfect10: Thanks for sharing! thumbsup01

dave in iowa
11-16-2011, 10:25 PM
great hunt joe , better than my spoon lol

Viking
11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Dang, must've been good advice! Do tell! :->

CyberSage
11-16-2011, 11:01 PM
That's just awesome Joe! Congratulations on some hard earned Silver. I feel I got a huge head start with my E-Trac from reading Angel's post. He definitely has the magic. The trash areas are the key to great finds.

Jack

milco
11-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Fantastic! All that from a 20x30ft area in a park....WOW!! |:confused:) I can turn off disc completely on my machine and dig every single thing that beeps and not have those results!

Cheap Thrills
11-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Sweet finds Joe , you learned well . :yes: |:cheering:

silver star
11-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Big congrats on silver and wheat's :clapping:. WTG!!! Good luck and HH. Mike

del
11-17-2011, 03:41 AM
:shocked04: sweet barber quarter Joe :smitten: :smitten: :clapping: :clapping:

fsa46
11-17-2011, 05:30 AM
That's great Joe, and it's not over yet. :clapping: Don't you just love it when you have the confidence in your machine and what you're doing with it. :smitten:

randy
11-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Trash is your friend :smitten: Congrats on the barber Q and other silver <:

skribnodsister
11-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Holy smokes Joe |:cheering: You do so well finding that silver! Big congrats :perfect10:

tanacat
11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Wow- that's wonderful Joe... congrats esp on the Barber quarter :yes: Gives us all incentive to not give up on the old parks :) In fact, I think I'll go hunt one of my old parks today lol

aloldstuff
11-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Looks like Angel's advise was well taken. Congrats on getting all those keepers is such a small area. Very nice Barber, merc, rosie, and some wheats.

bob_e99
11-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Angel's advice appears to be a real nugget. Anything you can share?

Congrats on an extremely nice hunt. Those barber coins are beautiful and that one looks to be in pretty good shape.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Epi-hunter
11-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Great job Joe!!! You are really learning that machine inside and out. Love the silver, especially the barber!! :perfect10:

And the best part is that you know there is still more there :yes:

Ill Digger
11-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Anything you can share?
Yeah really!! :shocked01: I'm all ears! :-> lol

Man what ever he said, it sure payed off! :yes:
Great finds! Specially the 1800's (barely :poke: lol) Barber quarter! <: :clapping:
Great hunt Joe!
Congrats ! :grin:

angellionel
11-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks, Joe. :embarrassed: I wish I could take credit, but the fact is that you are doing your own thing. :clapping: That Barber quarter is just so beautiful! :loveit: I have a feeling that location will be seeing more of you. lol

jkress
11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. I appreciate it. :)
It was a fun hunt for me.

Dang, must've been good advice! Do tell! :->

Angel's advice appears to be a real nugget. Anything you can share?

Yeah really!! :shocked01: I'm all ears! :-> lol

lol No secret recipe to reveal. Just much of the same stuff he has been sharing in his posts all along the way.
I'm sure most of you already incorporate these techniques in your hunting.

One of my questions was regarding one directional hits. Normally I like to have a potential target sound consistent from a couple different angles. Of course the targets that sound perfect from all angles are no brainers, but I wanted his opinion on how to go after the 'small window' hits.

Obviously his advice stressed the importance of griding from multiple angles. Because in heavy trash, once a piece of junk metal enters the sweet spot of the coil (double D type) with a coin... the coin can produce a very distorted sound.

From what I understand, the key is to catch a 'whiff' of the good tone amongst the trash and isolate that target for further investigation. Sometimes just a small movement of the coil will give the green light to dig. Change the angle a couple of degrees and the 'dig me' signal breaks down pretty quickly.

Believe me, I'm still experimenting with this process. Who knows, next time out I may dig only nails. :rolleyes: But ya' gotta try.

jkress
11-17-2011, 06:57 PM
You help much more than I think you realize. :yes:

I have a feeling that location will be seeing more of you. lol

Oh yes. Not sure how long before the frozen ground shows up... but I'll be digging holes at this park until it does. Problem is, I've got about 5 other parks I need to recheck again. :twirlingeyes:

Tony Two-Cent
11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Great post and wonderful finds, Joe! That Barber Quarter is a beauty for sure! :smitten:

No doubt about it, those one-directional signals are sometimes old coins. There is definitely an art to deciphering which one-directional signals are worth digging. As you have demonstrated, if sometimes pays off nicely to lean towards dig.

RobW
11-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Great advise, and yes it is true. And yes, you dig trash, but if this were easy 1) everyone would be doing it 2) they wouldn't call it hunting...thanks for the nugget

What I'm trying to figure is the DEEP stuff....signals get all crazy :twirlingeyes:

Ytcoinshooter
11-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Impressive. thumbsup01

MinelabIowa
11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Great job on the 1899 barber quarter. Congrats on your other finds also!

SeabeeRon
11-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Joe, you have snatched the Pebble from the Master's hand! :perfect10:

jkress
11-18-2011, 11:15 PM
There is definitely an art to deciphering which one-directional signals are worth digging.

:yes: :confused: :confused: Ah... the metal detectorists conundrum. :hairpulling: Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.
Thanks Tony.

What I'm trying to figure is the DEEP stuff....signals get all crazy :twirlingeyes:

Thank you Rob. Yep... the DEEP ones are next on my list. :shocked04:stretcher:

Impressive. thumbsup01

Thank you Yt. :)

Great job on the 1899 barber quarter. Congrats on your other finds also!

Thanks Joe. Hopefully you are getting some swing time in before the ground freezes. Let me know if you want
to go out for a hunt yet this year around town. I've got a few spots worth hitting.

Joe, you have snatched the Pebble from the Master's hand! :perfect10:

rofl rofl rofl I got a big kick out of reading this. But... not quite. :) Thanks Ron.