PDA

View Full Version : 7 Hour Hunt at 1850's Farm House

milco
11-17-2011, 08:41 AM
My uncle, his friend and I managed to make it out yesterday for one last big hunt before you know what comes. They got there at daybreak and I arrived about 9am. We hunted until 4pm. It was sunny, but the temps were right around 40, and the wind was pretty strong. This was a highly anticipated hunt, but like many rural old farm houses, lots of ground manipulation and we all agreed definitely hunted before. There were very few solid hi tones in the area that we determined was undisturbed in the front yard. I managed to find the items below and only three coins, 1916 wheat, memorial and zincoln. The button below says Saveland Fayes & Co - Superfine. When I dug it the lettering was very clear but when I got it home and mistakenly ran a very fine brush on it, the letters just crumbled, lesson learned. I am also trying to determine what the sharp pronged brass item is next to the old pocket knife?

Totals were:
(4) Indianheads
(8) Wheat cents
(1) Merc & (1) Buffalo in the same hole
13c in clad
30+ pounds of trash

bob_e99
11-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Congrats on being able to hunt such an old site and congrats on your finds. I am really amazed at the amount of trash :wow:

That's a lot of digging.

Ill Digger
11-17-2011, 08:53 AM
:yes: Yeah, those old farm houses can be hit or miss sometimes :dontknow:
A lot of times I'll go back at a later time and try it again.
I'm often surprised at what else shows up :shocked01: :confused: Sometimes it pays off.... sometimes it don't :dontknow:
At least you guys were all able to pull a few keepers thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

aloldstuff
11-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Very nice that you were able to hunt a nice old farm. You sure did pull a lot of trash out of there. Congrats on your finds.

RobW
11-18-2011, 03:54 PM
What farmers and trash/junk........no way....... rofl

It always amazes me the piles of stuff farmers have laying around

angellionel
11-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Finding IH's and wheat cents make the site a promising one. With so much trash being dug and eliminated, another hunt at that site may prove worthwhile. :yes:

randy
11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but that's an awesome looking site to hunt. Its all about the hunt, not the finds. Hope the dreaded white stuff is late in arriving for you.

jkress
11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Wow... just look at that house. :drool: You all did quite well considering the level of trash there.
Nice looking button D. That's gotta be an old one.

They sense of urgency is getting greater to get out and hunt now. Not too many days left. crying01

396nova
11-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Interesting assortment. thumbsup01 I have permission at 2 old farms like that, those chopped up aluminum cans are fun. >:{ and all the iron >:# This detecting stuff is great. :clapping: Nice post, not much detecting time left. :frozen: