PDA

View Full Version : Masonic Button:huh:

miller6670
02-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I found this button a while back and have yet to find it in any referance books or on line. Just wondering if anyone could identify it. I looks like the square and compass of the Masons on the top, but just now sure. I believe it dates to the late 1700 early 1800's. :-\. Any thoughts?

coinnut
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice button!!! Did I say Nice Button already? lol Very nice button :yes: I know you shouldn't clean it until you find out about it, so is there any way you can sketch out what you see on it? We'll even take a bad sketch lol This way we can try and match it up or even e mail it to some button collectors or button clubs. I looked through Albert's Book and did not see much like it there. Someone knows what that button is and it may just be a matter of getting a good sketch of it, out to some serious collectors. Worth a try.

miller6670
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah that's not a bad idea...I will give it my best shot and post it tomorrow. Thanks for looking and for the help!

del
02-09-2010, 06:51 AM
hello Miller buttons usually give more information from seeing the back than they do from the front , on the back is there a makers mark or a design or logo and is it a one piece button or a two piece these also help in determining the era it was made . more info will help greatly .

Dan

miller6670
02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Here is my drawing of the button I hope this helps.

hello Miller buttons usually give more information from seeing the back than they do from the front , on the back is there a makers mark or a design or logo and is it a one piece button or a two piece these also help in determining the era it was made . more info will help greatly .

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan and you are correct, but in this case there is no makers mark or any markings on the back. It is also a one piece. I think it is probably early 1800's, but I'm just not sure. Thanks again for looking! :yes:

del
02-09-2010, 02:03 PM
very interesting button how about a back picture still , like to see the shank if its cast or a wire shank and how it fastened to the button itself and the thickness of the actual button . sorry for all the requests .

miller6670
02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
very interesting button how about a back picture still , like to see the shank if its cast or a wire shank and how it fastened to the button itself and the thickness of the actual button . sorry for all the requests .

No problem! I think the shank is wire and the button itself is very thin.

del
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
hey Miller the button does look pretty old and the shank in the pictures to me look like it was cast along with the button at the same time . i can't tell from the pictures but is there a seam line (from a mold ) on the back that runs down the middle of the back.:huh:

Dan

miller6670
02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
hey Miller the button does look pretty old and the shank in the pictures to me look like it was cast along with the button at the same time . i can't tell from the pictures but is there a seam line (from a mold ) on the back that runs down the middle of the back.:huh:

Dan

No there's no seam and it looks to me like the shank was added. I can see, what looks to be, solder at the base of the shank.

ProPointer
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm not very smart at buttons and stuff but....does the shank on the back mean it's pre revolutionary war period?

miller6670
02-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Well, The way the button was made can tell a lot about when it was made. In this case, I believe it is from the late 1700 early 1800's, but still not sure.

tanacat
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, The way the button was made can tell a lot about when it was made. In this case, I believe it is from the late 1700 early 1800's, but still not sure.

Hey check this out! The Blairwitch symbol....

http://www.radioliberty.com/Symbolsandtheirmeaning.html