PDA

View Full Version : Crack die Buffalo?

skribnod
11-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I made it out today to a couple older parks in the area today with Donna ( Skribnodsister). It was not as productive as our previous hunts but still nice to get out and hear some beeps, so we hit the bean field one last time. I am not familiar with die cracks so I wanted to get some opinions on the buffalo I found. Thanks for looking.

BOWSER
11-20-2011, 04:20 PM
There have never been any refunds as far as dreams are concerned

RaZR
11-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't think that's a die crack. They usually are pretty small defects that would have corroded away on one that toasted. But still a nice old buff! A bean buffalo!
;)

GL/HH

skribnod
11-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I thought at first I hit it with the lesche untill I realized they were actually raised and part of the nickel itself. Strange part is that they are raised and not foriegn material.

Tony Two-Cent
11-20-2011, 08:52 PM
It is very common to see raised lines like that on older dug nickels. I guess it's caused by irregularites in the grain of the planchets, that become more pronounced after the coin has been in the ground for a long time.

del
11-21-2011, 07:14 AM
It is very common to see raised lines like that on older dug nickels. I guess it's caused by irregularites in the grain of the planchets, that become more pronounced after the coin has been in the ground for a long time.

i agree with Tony , i've seen this in some of the colonial coins as well .

CODY
11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Good finds.

MinelabIowa
11-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Tony hit the nail on the head. I agree with him. Nice looking nickel!

aloldstuff
11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I know that there is something called a CUD, which is excessive metal on the planchett. I'm thinking that is what it is.