PDA

View Full Version : Learning curve & a small reward

Ytcoinshooter
11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Enjoyed some time at a cellar hole with del & coinnut Saturday. We met at sunrise after logging over an hour drive time. Unfortunate for me the limited time shared hunting didn't land anything good in my pouch. We all were sporting a piece of blaze orange with shotgun blasts in the distance.
After we parted I decided to hit a place nearer where I live. Each time I would upgrade or by a new detector I'd return to this and another old and now little used park. I think many of us do this in an effort to compare or gauge the performance of a new detector andto build confidence and understanding of the V3i (or your new detector) in a familiar setting. First testing my smaller eclipse coils I found they are not any good with my V. They overload at gains at 10 + and signal loss was 37% (5.3) & 53% (6x10) no matter how I set up the V. I could only pick up targets near the surface with them. So on goes the stock 10 DD. I kept to an area with a little less trash, now very wet and the silver previously found was almost always 4+. I was using the 5 high pass filter, gain at 11, all metal and disc sens were set 70 & 85 respectively in the HiPro program. Hoping to find a cent/dime signal at 5+ and check the response with different filters didn't pan out this time. After an hour digging a few signals and a deep curtain or skirt weight that read quarter I tried the deep silver program with a couple of minor sensitivity tweaks and the disc accepting +50 through +95. Soon I got a repeatable lock on a quarter signal around 4. It is always nice to find silver from a site that's been hit hard and looks way better than more junk. Honestly, I would have been more impressed with a silver dime at over 6. Still i had about written this place off except for the very trashy areas I couldn't use my small coils in. I'm looking forward to more time learning thus detector. I'll be on the right track when I'm just posting finds and not discussing settings. I have much to practice to become proficient with this V3i. All the silver I have dug here in the past has had heavy tarnish & red stains from iron/minerals.
I would have put this up sooner but have been battling a cold since getting in Saturday after detecting.
HH-Bruce

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/d63bd71f.jpg

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/2d265c37.jpg

aloldstuff
11-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Looks like the right settings net you a silver wash. Excellent hunting

RaZR
11-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I wish there were more of those around. ;)
Great job digging that up. Just keep swinging and trying new settings and you'll be pulling out sweet silver hand over fist.

GL/HH

CyberSage
11-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Nice Hunt Bruce! A Silver quarter is an infrequent find in my neck of the woods. Congratulations. I think you will find that it's hard to beat the stock D2 coil. Even in trashy ground it has good separation. Don't be afraid to sneak that DS up into the low 90's if EMI permits. That's where your depth will come from. My sweet spot is 93 with an RX of 12. Glad you survived the hunt with Dan and George. lol

Jack

Epi-hunter
11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Congrats on the silver quarter! They are not easy to come by.

You and your v3i are definitely getting well acquainted! (Wish I could say the same for mine crying01 )