PDA

View Full Version : old button, ring, and merc

randy
11-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Got a late start today (work >:#), but got out and decided to warm up on sidewalk strips, where I found this old button. Rang as a silver Q. The back says Horstmann Bros & Co Phil, and the front says Philadelphia Maneto below the design. As near as I can tell, the design is from the :usaflag: of Philadelphia, and was adopted in 1877. Horstman started in the mid 1800s, but I couldn't really tell how long they were in business. I'm guessing late 1800s, early 1900s on the button, but any experts feel free to chime in. Seems to be made of bronze.

Onto a park in the area for my possible farewell hunt, as the pickins were getting a bit slim the last time, but I wanted to finish out a grid and hit a few different sections just to be sure. Finishing out the grid was tedious -- there were very few deep dig me signals, but one really deep silver signal turned out to be this sterling religious ring. Its a pretty nice looking ring, and comes in at over 6 grams, but I'm looking for at least one silver coin to keep my streak alive.

Decided to bag the grid and hit some other sections, but the fish were not biting anywhere. Had only mustered 2 wheaties so far, but near the end of the day got a really iffy silver signal in heavy trash, which pretty much all day had been iron falses >{, but was quite surprised when a hunt-saving merc popped out :happydance01:

HH everyone.

CyberSage
11-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Thats the way to hang in there on the Silver Randy! Very neat ring as well.

Dixie Rebel
11-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Good finds Randy congrats. That silver ring is cool also. thumbsup01

aloldstuff
11-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Very nice finds there Randy. A hunt saving merc, how many of those have we read about:huh:thinkingabout: The ring is really nice looking and and old button always gets me excited. Congrats on keeping the silver streak going.

silversearcher
11-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Great finds. :envious: nice detail on the button and ring.

Epi-hunter
11-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Great finds!!! Love the ring, and especially the button. Would love to find one of those :yes:

Fire Fighter 43
11-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Nice hunt, very cool ring and button.

Mudder
11-24-2011, 09:48 PM
:cheesysmile: WTG Randy, those Mercs will save the day every time. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: