PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

silversearcher
11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I am a resident of Western Mass. Was turned on to detecting by a friend of mine Al or as you know him aloldstuff'. He went with me to get my first metal detector. A Whites Prizm V. Funniest part, we went back to his house to set up the equipment and try it out. My first find was in his yard. There was no beep just a visual as I swept past a dollar bill at the edge of the yard! Now a days he picks on me cause I have a knack at finding Canadian items. Doing an old field with him I found a 1914 half dime (canadian). On another dig with him I found a sterling silver ring and a Canadian Distillery drink measure. Al dug a few silvers and an old belt buckle.
I hope to get my 12 year old son into it. He has a good friend that collects coins and occassionally like to crh. I enjoy reading the posts and hope to be able to post some nice finds myself. Cant wait to find my first lc or wlh. :cool:

aloldstuff
11-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Glad your here, great forum, good people with a wealth of knowledge. Now lets work on getting you and the little one out to find that treasure.

Everytime I make a decent find I have to tell Chris about it and his standard response is I really need to get out. :poke:

Looking forward to some hunting time together.

SeabeeRon
11-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Welcome from the West Coast!

396nova
11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. Al will be a great mentor. |:confused:) I look forward to your posts. :clapping: Mass. is a great state for detecting. Good luck.

silversearcher
11-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Welcome from the West Coast!
[quote=396nova link=topic=7935.msg90563#msg90563 date=1321991068]
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. Al will be a great mentor. |:confused:) I look forward to your posts. :clapping: Mass. is a great state for detecting. Good luck.

Thank you for the warm welcomes. Not so sure about the mentor thing as much as maybe a bad influence, but definitely a great friend... lol
How's the hunting in Santa Cruz. Been there once. Beautiful place but all I found on the beach was the sunburn of a lifetime and some great volleyball. :cool:

del
11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
hello Silversearcher and welcome to the forum , Al sounds like a pretty good luck charm to have around when detecting and i bet Rob might agree with that too ;) ;) . it nice to meet you and glad you could join us here .

Dan

Epi-hunter
11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the forum! Another Western Mass hunter. You will find many others here from that area as well. Glad you found us thumbsup01

silversearcher
11-22-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm glad to be here. This is a great forum as well as resource for and about detecting. I'm sure I will learn a lot from the people on here. Only hope iI get to post some amazing finds like I read about here. I will be elated everytime I post a first. I've collected coins since I was young, but cant wait to find my first buffalo, seated or even copper.

randy
11-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Welcome from Chester County PA. Yes, an awesome forum, good luck, and hope to see you posting some silver soon.

pulltabsteve
11-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Welcome from Long Island, New York! You will love it here :yes:

jkress
11-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Welcome to the fun SS. :clapping:
Sounds like you are off to a great start. You wouldn't, by chance, happen to have a picture of the Canadian half dime? :->
I'd love to see it. :smitten: Never seen one before. I need to know what to look out for. lol

Tony Two-Cent
11-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Welcome to American Detectorist from central Illinois!

Any friend of Al's is a friend of ours!

Glad to have you here!

silversearcher
11-23-2011, 07:40 AM
sorry about the quality but these are my first finds, the dollar from Al's yard, the ring from a hunt with Al, the canadian 1/2 dime (doesn't say 1/2 dime, back reads 5 cents canada 1914 ) another hunt with Al, and the rosie from my own yard with a nice sratch from digging it up >:crying02: oops
The last is a cut and paste of what the 5 cent canadian coin should look like and I am extremely impressed having found such a small specimen with the WHITES PRIZM V

del
11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
congrats on the fishscale SS

You wouldn't, by chance, happen to have a picture of the Canadian half dime? :->
I'd love to see it. :smitten: Never seen one before. I need to know what to look out for. lol

Joe from 1858 to 1921 these are commonly known as a fish scale because they are a very small sterling silver coin .

jkress
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for posting the picture of the half dime silversearcher. Very cool looking coin. :smitten: Congrats.

Joe from 1858 to 1921 these are commonly known as a fish scale because they are a very small sterling silver coin .

Ahh, thanks for the info Dan. thumbsup01 I have heard the term fish scale before. Just didn't realize it was referring to the half dime.
I'll bet that baby is small. :shocked04:

Fire Fighter 43
11-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Welcome from Wisconsin

OxShoeDrew
11-25-2011, 04:08 PM
That Washington has a nice patina lol
Welcome from the nutmeg state.

Ill Digger
11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois! :grin:

CODY
11-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Welcome from Mississippi. Looking foward to your finds and post.

Jeff (or)
12-04-2011, 02:16 AM
It's great to have you here on American Detectorist!!!!!! :cool: :beerbuddy: