PDA

View Full Version : Sunray X-1 probe

Jason in Enid
10-27-2009, 09:44 PM
After giving up on a couple 10-12 inch deep holes today, I decided that the extra depth of E-Trac requires the use of a probe. I have decided to go with the Sunray brand after ready many user reviews. So my question for you sunray users is....

Where is the best palce to buy one (I don't have a local dealer)

Dave
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
I would buy one from here. This way you know what you are getting. http://www.sunraydetector.com/

OkieDigger
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I've thought about getting one, but when I look at the price and how well I do with my Vibraprobe 570 I just can't see a reason to do it. I know people that love them and people that hate them. I like the idea of having the FE CO numbers showing while you're pinpointing, but the cables and flipping switches seems like a hassle.

Jason in Enid
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I would buy one from here. This way you know what you are getting. http://www.sunraydetector.com/

You can't buy from them.. That's just the manufacturers website.

Second, the reason I asked was becuase the dealer has latitude in what they sell an item for. Some stick to MAP and won't budge. Some will. I was hoping to find a word of mouth dealer who would sell cheaper.

OkieDigger
10-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Their website says you can order one directly from them.

marchas45
10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I love my Sunray Probe don't know how I lived without it. You just have to make sure you throw the switch back again after using it and I haven't lost one yet :grin: :grin: :grin:
You can also keep checking the TeasureNet board Treasure Related Stuff for Sale http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=23e2db02158acfc37cd09c4cac2c80 ee&board=289.0
I get some great deals from that board, or you can get them from any Metal Detector Store but like you said there all the same price, usually.

coinnut
10-29-2009, 04:08 PM
First let me say I love that probe. It has made digging deep and masked holes so much easier, safer and quicker. I can't believe how good it works!!! The target ID is real nice when your target is next to iron. That's where it shines. Not to mention you will never scratch another coin again :grin: Down sides:huh:thinkingabout: I have had the toggle switch click over on me many times. I hunt in the woods and branches and bushes catch the switch and turn it to probe!!! But it's easy to tell because the probe is detecting everything in your pockets and pouch. It goes crazy. That's how I know if the switch got flipped. Second minor drawback is that it is perminently mounted (welded:huh:) to your upper rod....so you have to send in the rod to them to attach the box. There is no other way around it!! But changing coils is faster, since all you need is the bottom rod for each coil and it hooks up to the control box of the probe. No more pulling out the top rod (gently ;)) and pushing it in carefully. Out of a 1- 10 rating, I give it a 20 :grin: thumbsup01

Jason in Enid
10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Their website says you can order one directly from them.

I must be going blind because I can't find any thing resembling an order form or even anything mentioning ordering.

OkieDigger
10-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Go on the left side under Minelab and X-1 Target Probe. Click on it and scroll down. It's highlighted in yellow. Hard to miss. ;)

Jason in Enid
10-29-2009, 05:21 PM
NOTE: Your Explorer II or Quattro upper shaft must be sent to Sun Ray for the X-1 Probe installation or a new one may be purchased from your dealer or direct from Sun Ray. Contact your local Sun Ray Dealer or Sun Ray Detector Electronics direct for full details. When ordering X-1 be sure to state which arm you swing with (right or left) for proper probe switch installation.

This is the closest thing to ordering. No link, no order form.

Oh well, I guess I'll just pick one of the MAP priced guys.

OkieDigger
10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
You could just call them. :grin:

coinnut
10-29-2009, 05:55 PM
You could just call them. :grin:

And actually have to talk to someone in person:huh: Who does such a thing anymore :grin:

angellionel
10-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Like coinnut, I too love my X-1 probe. I've had the the toggle switch click situation happen as well, but it really isn't much of a bother. ;) I also like the fact that the probe responds to targets like the coil does, which is a definite plus. thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
You can't buy from them.. That's just the manufacturers website.

Second, the reason I asked was becuase the dealer has latitude in what they sell an item for. Some stick to MAP and won't budge. Some will. I was hoping to find a word of mouth dealer who would sell cheaper.

You can... Ralph is the owner. I know him and his wife... great, reliable people. I bought my e-trac from him actually (he carries Minelab)

angellionel
10-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Here's how I deal with the X-1's loose cable. Notice where I have the X-1 probe placed on my E-Trac, with the cable hanging loosely.

The second photo illustrates how I place the cable loop over my hand, with the third photo showing how it holds without interfering in any way. It works well for me. thumbsup01

OkieDigger
10-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't dig that 15-01, it's junk.

angellionel
10-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Don't dig that 15-01, it's junk.

:grin:

I'm sure. :grin:

Jason in Enid
10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for that tip Angel, I have been wondering how to deal with the loose cord.

Bentfork
10-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Angel, do you feel the cable on the probe interferes with the search loop? I've wondered myself about that.

Gary

coinnut
10-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Angel, do you feel the cable on the probe interferes with the search loop? I've wondered myself about that.

Gary

For me anyways, That cable get in the way when you grab the detector or sometimes it gets hooked on my pouch. But it doesn't interfere with the coil, that I know of. When you use the probe the coil is off, and when you use the coil the probe is off. Both can't be on at the same time. In Angel's case it seem to guide him to silver, like a divining rod :grin:

angellionel
10-31-2009, 09:26 PM

Gary

I don't believe the cable interferes with the coil, but I haven't tested that belief. It sure did bother me to see it hanging as it did though. Like coinnut indicated, the annoyance was in its getting hooked on other things. I solved my 'problem' by using the method I described above. :)

For me anyways, That cable get in the way when you grab the detector or sometimes it gets hooked on my pouch. But it doesn't interfere with the coil, that I know of. When you use the probe the coil is off, and when you use the coil the probe is off. Both can't be on at the same time. In Angel's case it seem to guide him to silver, like a divining rod :grin:

I want it to guide me to gold, but it keeps refusing to do so. :grin:

Jason in Enid
10-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a new X-1 probe and a set of Killer B's headphones. They should be in in a few days!

Bentfork
10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
the annoyance was in its getting hooked on other things.

I know what you mean. The cable on my X-1 gets underneath the foot on the upper most part of the shaft below the armrest. When I set the Explorer down I have to pull it out from under it. But the DX-1 on my MXT gets caught on my Lesche digger sheath as I swing.

I was just wondering because of the pics if you experienced some interference with the cable flopping around. It probably is far enough away from the loop, but the cable having wire in it made me wonder...

G.

angellionel
10-31-2009, 10:51 PM
I know what you mean. The cable on my X-1 gets underneath the foot on the upper most part of the shaft below the armrest. When I set the Explorer down I have to pull it out from under it. But the DX-1 on my MXT gets caught on my Lesche digger sheath as I swing.

I was just wondering because of the pics if you experienced some interference with the cable flopping around. It probably is far enough away from the loop, but the cable having wire in it made me wonder...

G.

I haven't experienced any problems actually. When I hold the cable as illustrated above, it remains firmly still - no flopping at all. One of the reasons for my holding it that way is that I didn't want the loose cable to perhaps interfere with the coil's operation. I'm not sure if it does, but I didn't want to take any chances. :)