PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better coil than the stock one for the E-trac??

Spike
11-25-2011, 07:40 PM
I have been thinking about a small coil for my E-trac to hunt some trashy and old nail infested sites but as good as the stock coil is at seperation would it be worth it :dontknow: :dontknow: Dixie rebel likes his 8in joey coil and Coinnut liked the Sunray 5in anyone have solid proof that the stock coil is missing enough to spend the money and loose all the coverage over the stock coil any suggestions or coments would be helpful

Ill Digger
11-25-2011, 08:21 PM
I hate to be the first to comment on this thread because I probably have the least experience with a after market coil for a E-Trac. I was given the opportunity to tryout the Sunray X5. I only used it for about 3 or 4 hours in a park and switched back to the stock coil. :dontknow: One thing I noticed for sure was the lost of depth. The deepest coin I found was about 5 inches deep. And it was barely even a twitch of chirp of a signal :rolleyes:. A easy coin with the stock coil even in heavy trash IMHO . :yes: It did give great separation in heavy trash. One thing I did do with it that was pretty impressive (if I don't mind saying myself lol ) was pick-out a nickle right between 2 pull tabs!! lol I could just tell by the sound and VDI #'s. :yes: And I went back and dug up the tabs just to verify :yes: thumbsup01 lol

randy
11-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I've read good things about the 6x8 SEF by a poster I follow quite closely on another forum. Don't have much more insight other that IMHO its worth the research. May be my next coil for extreme ferrous sites, but I need to do more research myself.

Dixie Rebel
11-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Coiltec use to make all of Mine-labs stock coils before mine-lab started making them in house. The only thing that I do not like about the Joey coil is it is not water proof. I just silicone the wire connector going in to the coil. It is a good coil and separates trash really well. If I had to do it over again I would buy the Sunray X-5 coil.

dave in iowa
11-29-2011, 04:21 PM
i use a sunray 8 inch coil, works pretty good