PDA

View Full Version : Back to where the buffalo roam...

Tony Two-Cent
11-25-2011, 09:54 PM
It was such a beautiful day today, I decided to go back to the site where I found all of the buffalo nickels the other day. Once again, I was amazed at the quantity of coins that this site is producing. Such a small area, and I have hunted it many times, yet every time I find more there.

This site is really teaching me a lot about finding nickels with my E-Trac. I have often read that a solid 12-12 or 12-13 that doesn't bounce around will most likely be a nickel. That may be true, but at this particular site the nickel signals are bouncing around quite a bit, anywhere from 12-09 to 12-16. The ferrous number would often bounce too, from 10 to 14 and everywhere in between. Since this site doesn't have a lot of trash, I was able to dig the questionable nickel signals, and many of them were indeed nickels. I dug some can slaw and beaver tail pull tabs too, but that's going to happen when you dig nickel signals.

Anyway, today I ended up with 10 wheat cents, 12 nickels including 3 buffaloes and 2 war nickels (no Vs this time), 2 Mercs and a Rosie, plus some clad. The Rosie was a real head scratcher because it was a very obvious silver dime signal. How did I manage to miss it on previous hunts? Who knows. Both of the Mercs were very iffy signals until I got the plug opened up and then they both sang beautifully.

Here are the 10 wheat cents, the earliest being 1918:

Here are the 12 nickels.

Here are the 3 buffalo nickels, dated 1920, 1924 and 1936:

Here are the 3 silver dimes. I am really surprised that I'm still finding silver at this site!

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Ill Digger
11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Man Tony! :shocked04: Your cleaning up on this little lot! thumbsup01
I bet there are lotsa good finds still yet to be had! :yes:
And your just the man for the job! thumbsup01
Nice finds! :cool:
Congrats :grin:

CODY
11-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Excellant! WTG thumbsup01 Wheats, buff's and silver. Too cool.

Viking
11-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow, very impressive! I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your finds! |:cheering:

Maybe you can help with a problem I'm experiencing...I went to a site last week and found 4 silvers in 4 hours. Then I went back and found 2 more silvers in 4 hours. The next day I gridded an area thoroughly for 3 hours and found 0 silvers. Either I'm super thorough on my initial passes, or I'm unable to elevate my skills to find the tough ones... :dontknow:

What are you doing differently at this site on return trips to keep it productive? What were these silver signals like today; were there high ferrous (24+) numbers mixed in with the good target, or were they still consistently 10-16 Fe or so? One way hits? Extra deep? I look forward to your response! :beerbuddy:

randy
11-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Thats a nice pile of silvers and old coins. thumbsup01 That E-Trac is sure sniffing them out for you. Sounds like that site has more to give.

dave in iowa
11-26-2011, 01:04 AM
You are the KIng of Nickels , ,, i find some , but i know i miss them also. next season ,,,,,,,

Tony Two-Cent
11-26-2011, 08:19 AM
What are you doing differently at this site on return trips to keep it productive? What were these silver signals like today; were there high ferrous (24+) numbers mixed in with the good target, or were they still consistently 10-16 Fe or so? One way hits? Extra deep? I look forward to your response! :beerbuddy:

I guess the only thing I do to keep the site producing silvers is to slow way down and investigate the one directional signals. Both of the Mercs were mostly one-directional, with just a slight hint of a signal in the other direction. I don't get high ferrous numbers because I'm still hunting in the factory coins mode which discriminates ferrous signals above 17. At other sites I have tried opening my pattern up to accept ferrous numbers up to 26, but I got so many false signals it drove me batty.

Neither of the Mercs were excessively deep, both were about 7 inches. Maybe the moist soil is helping the silver signals this time of year too.

jkress
11-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Excellent finds Tony. :clapping:
You are really pulling some nice coins out of area. Especially those nickels. :shocked04:
Your patience is paying off. Congrats.

RaZR
11-26-2011, 02:59 PM
That be one swweeeeeet spot you got there. Congrats on the silver + buffs.
I see great things in your future from that place. Do you run your manual sens
higher than the set coin program? Is this area old enough to have that seated you're looking for? Hope you keep finding good stuff there. And don't run outta nickels. :grin:

Snapolson
11-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Good Grief!! What a haul! Congrats! :perfect10:

Shipwreck
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
thumbsup01WtG Nice Hunt thumbsup01

CyberSage
11-26-2011, 07:51 PM
This site is really teaching me a lot about finding nickels with my E-Trac. I have often read that a solid 12-12 or 12-13 that doesn't bounce around will most likely be a nickel. That may be true, but at this particular site the nickel signals are bouncing around quite a bit, anywhere from 12-09 to 12-16. The ferrous number would often bounce too, from 10 to 14 and everywhere in between. Since this site doesn't have a lot of trash, I was able to dig the questionable nickel signals, and many of them were indeed nickels. I dug some can slaw and beaver tail pull tabs too, but that's going to happen when you dig nickel signals.

Thank you for sharing this information. Great Hunt Tony! What a fun site this must be to hunt.

Tony Two-Cent
11-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Do you run your manual sens higher than the set coin program?

I almost always have my sensitivity set at Auto +3. I like the stability of Auto Sensitivity. I have tried using manual sensitivity, but it seems to cause too much falsing for my taste.

Is this area old enough to have that seated you're looking for?

I have found an 1891 Indian Head cent at this site. Between the sidewalk and street I found an 1892 Barber Dime. The town was founded in the 1870s, so I guess it's possible there may be seated coins lurking.

Fire Fighter 43
11-27-2011, 12:15 PM
You have one sweet honey hole there, congrats on another great hunt.

aloldstuff
11-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Tony, look if you can't post up at least 8 buffs why bother |:cheering:. Congrats on another great hunt. That spot is fantastic. Must be nice that the trash level is very low, giving you the opportunity to dig most of the signals.