PDA

View Full Version : No buffaloes today, just a couple of Indians

Tony Two-Cent
11-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Nothing too exciting to report today. There was a 70% chance of rain today, so I didn't want to hunt too far from home. I went back to the old ball park that isn't too far from here.

I got off to a really slow start, in fact I didn't find a single coin for almost an hour and a half. I was persistent though, since I didn't really have any other place to hunt nearby. Finally I got two wheat cents in the same hole, and then a little later an Indian Head cent. The Indian Head made me feel a little better about the hunt, but I was starting to fear that I would have to endure the Silverless Drive Home of Shame. Thankfully, good old FDR saved me from that! Then I found another Indian Head and a couple more wheats.

It never did rain, but my arm started feeling the affects of two straight days of hunting, so I headed home. The Rosie was my 70th silver coin of the year.

I think these Indian Heads may clean up a little better, but I didn't want the patina to come off like it did on a previous Indian Head I found at this site.

Both sides of a token I found today. I have found these before, but I don't know what they were used for or how old they are.

Shipwreck
11-26-2011, 06:03 PM
thumbsup01 Cool Tokens thumbsup01 nice hunt

milco
11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Very nice hunt, glad you pulled a bunch of oldies after the slow start! Those are IL tax tokens. A great resrouce for tax tokens is the ATTS - http://www.taxtoken.org/

dave in iowa
11-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Ive found a few of those tokens , they are tax tokens of some kind , not sure though

randy
11-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Sweet hunt. Love the token. I take its not silver, but it sure looks it from here. And the IH is very nice :smitten:

RaZR
11-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Congrats on the NON sdhos. Thanks to Frank. And the pair of princesses. Those are some cool tokens too. I'll have to see if we had any tax tokens in Michigan.
Never found any.

GL/HH

Tony Two-Cent
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I soaked the Indian Heads in olive oil and gave them a gentle cleaning. The 1891 cleaned up OK, but the green patina started coming off of the 1907 as I feared it might. The same thing happened to a previous indian head from this site. I guess I should learn when to leave them alone.

Fire Fighter 43
11-27-2011, 11:58 AM
WTG, nice hunt.

Ill Digger
11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Those weathermen sure can miss the boat sometimes can't they! :rolleyes: >{ lol
A Rosie to the rescue <: And we all love our Indians! :smitten: :yes:
Nothin' wrong with a hunt like that! thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

jkress
11-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Fantastic hunt Tony. :clapping:
You hit all the coins I like to find while hunting... silver, IH's, Wheats and a token. :smitten:
The token is a very nice one by the way.
Congrats.

Here is some info from the American Tax Token Society that Milco had pointed out...
Merchants had to pay sales tax to the state on the total amount of sales made by the merchant during each day's sales. You can imagine that if the sales tax rate is 3% and a child buys a 10c piece of candy there is no way to collect the three-tenths of one cent. If you rounded down that meant that the merchant could not collect anything for the tax. If you rounded up the state was gaining 7 tenths of a cent on every 10 cent sale. You can see that if the merchant sold 100 pieces of candy he was loosing 30 cents a day in tax revenues to the state, so the token was born. This allowed the merchant to take 11 cents for the first piece of candy and give change back in mills. The next time you wanted to buy a 10c candy you could present the merchant with the 10c and a token and complete the transaction. This allowed the merchant to collect the sales tax on each transaction.

aloldstuff
11-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Tony, congrats on #70 in the silver dept. A couple of IH's would make my day. Nice hunting....those weatherpersons can lie....

DennisH
11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
You better get out there for more buffalo's before the Indians start getting hungry.

Full Metal Digger
11-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Nice finds Tony. Funny how them indians always have a good side and a crusty side. I can never figure out if the the good side was the side facing down or up in the ground. Love those retailers tokens. They only made them May 1933 to May 1934. I can't believe you are already up to 70 silvers! Seems like yesterday you were hoping for 50. Not bad considering you started late this year by jumping back into the hobby with an e-trac! Best wishes buddy I hope we have a December warm spell so we can hit that park. I go under the knife on Thursday and will be out a couple weeks. Best wishes and HH, Dave.