PDA

View Full Version : almost skunked today

randy
11-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I rarely get to hunt on Saturdays, but my wife and son had plans, and that means just one thing -- grab the detector and get out, especially when the forecast is 64 and sunny. <:

Headed for a site I've been eyeing for more than a year, the same sort of characteristics of my recent 127 silvers over two weeks site, but its far, and this is the first chance I've had at it. All was going well, the things I look for in a honeyhole -- deep wheaties and deep 60s clad flying out of the ground, short grass, wet soil, friendly locals, pleasant location, just one minor problem in terms of a honeyhole -- Where's the silver? >{ >{ >{

Not a single silver coin in 2.5 hours of hunting despite the honeyhole vibe of the site. Not sure why, but one of the hard problems in this sport is when to cut your losses, and since I had a fine backup site in the same town, I decided to table this site for another time.

The backup site is an old site that goes back to the seated era. And its large. And the research suggests that there was plenty of traffic there, at least up to the 30s. I had high hopes, but when I got there, I saw the grass had not been mowed in a while >:# >:# Its not like it was overgrown, but I'd be giving up 2 inches to hunt the site.

I hunted it for a couple of hours. Its a dream site, both in terms being able to read the site, the history, the old growth trees that tell you its not been regraded, the cultural features -- if you saw it, you'd pay to hunt this site. One small problem -- No deep targets >{ . I Couldn't even muster a wheatie in 2 hours. Are you kidding me? Decided to call it a day, and working my way back to the car, hit a beautiful deep silver signal -- figured this was a hunt saver, but it turned out to be a small silver bling at 8 inches. At least its an old silver bling, a silver pinky ring that is not stamped, which means older than 1905 IIRC. (And from the construction and tarnish on the band, it looks old).

Well, I had a couple of hours before dark, and quite a long silver streak that I was not gonna let die on an 8 hour hunting day, so I headed for my recent honeyhole from Thursday and Friday, the last parts of which I was saving for the farewell hunt. I didn't pull a singe coin in the first 45 minutes >{ >:{ >:#, but eventually nailed a 63D rosie <: :happydance01: happydance02 to keep my silver streak alive at 42 hunting days. Pulled a merc a bit later, and decided to call it a day, 2 silvers and one bling in a long 8 hours of hunting.

I wonder about the one site (the second of the day), that the E-Trac should have eaten up. Perhaps not enough patience. Perhaps too much obsession about my personal silver streak. Perhaps the uncut grass and the effect it had on my sweep speed (I like it slow, and you have to go a bit faster to fight thru the grass). Who knows :crazy: :crazy: It just reminds me, that despite an incredible run of good luck I've had lately, silver is still really hard.

Well, file this one in the TMI dept lol HH everyone,

RaZR
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Sometimes it's a good idea to drive the riding mower to the detecting site. rofl
The county has been saving money by not mowing very often. >:#
But at least you got some silver today! I got some clad and another toy car.
They will have to mow it sooner or later. Just keep watching till they do.
Then the E-trac will rip it up!!!

GL/HH

CODY
11-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Silver is Good! Really like the ring.

Tony Two-Cent
11-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I really like that silver ring! It looks old.

Only two silver coins today, maybe you're human after all. lol

Congrats on keeping your silver streak alive, Randy! :clapping:

Viking
11-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Great post. We've all been there. It seems like when a person is really yearning for something (a silver in this case), it's rarely found. I know I do best when I have low expectations.

Way to go on continuing your streak! <:

z118
11-27-2011, 06:03 AM
That's a really cool ring Randy. You almost skunked day would be a fantastic one in my book!

fsa46
11-27-2011, 06:24 AM
That ring alone would have made my day :yes:. Looks old and really like it :smitten: Randy, and that's what it's all about ....for me anyway.

DennisH
11-27-2011, 08:06 AM
A two silver day and a a old silver ring is a great day in my book. (Now your 127 sillver over two weeks would be a dream come true) Your YTD silver total must be awsome!!!

Fire Fighter 43
11-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Congrats on keeping the silver streak alive. I've also had sites like that, you just never know what has happened to the ground over the years. Maybe try it in the spring and see what pops up.

jkress
11-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Congratulations on keeping the streak going. You were quite persistent to do so. :clapping:
I'm sure you can't wait to get back to site B again when the grass has been cut. I really hate swinging through or above long grass... really throws my game off.
The ring is a nice one. I think your assumptions of the age are correct... an oldie. :happydance01:
Congrats on the Rosie and Merc. We all love to dig the Seateds and Barbers, but on tough days like this a Rosie and Merc are just as exciting to see come out of the dirt.

PL8MAN
11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Love that ring ! thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
11-27-2011, 05:27 PM
You got 127 silvers in 2 weeks? :shocked04: You'd think I'd remember that. Unfortunately...now that 127 happened everything else will seem a bit less. Nice problem though....and nice finds.

Ill Digger
11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Love that ring ! thumbsup01
:yes: Me too! :drool:
Of course who don't love a silver dime also! :smitten: :daydream:
Nice finds Randy! :clapping:
Congrats :grin:

aloldstuff
11-28-2011, 09:20 AM
And the streak continues. Very nice that your persistance paid off. Very nice post and how much would be the charge to hunt that area?