PDA

View Full Version : Personally My Best 2 Day Hunt, Nothing Special

MartinL
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Many here may know that here that I've sorta lived a reclusive detecting career since getting into the hobby last year, totally draining my own property but still pop a surprice coin or two once in a great while, but nothing in recent history. I took the holidays and visited my brother in NW Arkansas, we had permission to hunt the vacant soccer and baseball field, which we did, but total hunt times for 2 days for me was maybe 4 hours. One big highlight here is that since getting the V3i last summer, I've never had this kinds of fun. Trust me, I have an ENORMOUS number of hours of gleaning the information from many discussion boards on detecting, tweaking the V3i here at home for optimal performance, then hit this sweet ground there. One very interesting scenario was finding 4 quarters in the middle of the soccer field, all within the area of maybe 2' circumference, and then two more by the goalie area, quarters nearly stacked next to the other. One person surely lost all the quarters.

Most of all the other coins were found in the grassy areas where people parked over the years for the baseball events. There's a good 80% of the area I left undetected, so more fun is to be had. I had hoped for gold in the one soccer field I partially hunted, so next time, I am going to the older section with other soccer fields. It was the most fun I have had with the v3i, so I figured I owed it to the community to actually post a happy-gram. Martin

aloldstuff
11-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Martin, glad to see that you had a fun hunt. With all the info that you have gathered, I was wondering when it was going to be put to use. What program were you using? I also use the V3i and had the Hi-Pro program going this weekend (1st time). WOW, did that program produce, 9 wheats and 2 silvers. Hopefully your future hunts will be as rewarding.

MartinL
11-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I was using the factory C&J with many, many tweaks made over time here in the home garden. Some initial tweaks were from Fox's Max 10DD program, most were personal ones though. For some reason the max program of his was really discouraging, so I went the factory C&J and reworked it. There was likely lots of stuff I missed. Reason I say this is that one swath I made was re swept by my brother with his tired 1260 Fisher, and I thought at the time, Sorry Mike, I just swept that run. He popped a quarter before deciding to go home to help the wife with the turkey dinner. I was semi cherry picking...anything reading in the mid 20s and low 30, even the 50 VDI numbers were passed up by me(I did find a worn penny or two at 50 when the bars all lined up.) He dug lots more holes than I on each hunt, but got lots of pull tabs. I only dug maybe 3 PBs and several beaver tails though. I mainly let the V3i tell me they were likely PBs and moved on. I beat him on coinage, but probably because he was digging a lot more. Mike does know his 1260 though. Last time I was here way back in time, he smoked me with coin finds, same general area. I got better with the V3i since then. Danged I am stoked to get to hunting sweet ground again, especially since I've learned the machine after all these dull hours of playing with it here in North Texas.

One satisfying aspect this time was the certainty of finding a quarter or dime/penny signal. The polar chart on the dimes/penny signals, gave a longer 2.5Khz line in the polar chart than for pennies, and I said, That's a dime. It was never a penny, it was in fact a dime :happydance01:. Some of the 83 signals were cans and globs of solder, yet I loved seeing the quarters. Martin

CODY
11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Thats a pile of finds. WTG thumbsup01. Having fun is what its all about.

CyberSage
11-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Martin! What a great hunt. I noticed you have some nickels mixed in with the rest of the loot. Good job. All your hard work and research has paid off in your ability to find those coins. looking forward to your future hunts. Thanks for sharing.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

tanacat
11-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Glad to see the new place deliver :) That's a good amount of clad- what was the total? Yeah I bet this experience will get you out- give you incentive to try some new sites closer to home as well.

If you want to do some research of your area, www.historicmapworks.com (http://www.historicmapworks.com) is a good place to find old county maps. I esp like 1877 map of my county showing the placement of old homesteads, driveways, voting places, P.O.s and country stores back in the day.

MartinL
11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I added it up, $4.06 total. Yes, I was pleased with the nickels. I usually get teased by 19 Vdi signals here, and dig part of a pull tab, which I did there also a few times. This ups my overall nickel finds since detecting after May '10 by more than 2X. My brother wrote today and said we pretty much have the run of the place, including the employee sidewalks. That guy is an icon with that mothballed plant, which is good for me ;-) One of the best aspects ot it all is that my brother and I share this time. He's usually mired down with family so any time I get his personal company is genuine. I don't mean to over do the history of my practice here at home, but ton's of hours spent streamlining the V3i in my garden here has me flying through the live controls, and initial setup time is fast now. The soil there was so improved over my Texas dirt. My Pro Pointers were great in the secondary PPing those signals 2.25 or less, BEFORE the Lesche hit dirt, and digging plugs was a great improvement there. My 10&quot:grin:cheesysmile: was good, even under the power lines also. That was partly because I worked near power lines here when tweaking. OK, I'll try to be less exuberant over all this since I didn't find unique treasure, but it sure was fun after all this time of just learning. Y'all here, and several from other boards, and the patience from you helpers during my stresses, has paid off. I had a feeling that it would just take a trip to fresh target areas, and it became a fact. I don't profess to be a guru, but the immense time I spent here practicing has to almost be a Guiness Book Of Records in itself. One last thing. My, and my brother's body really felt the work the next morning. This digging certainly gets you finding muscles you forgot you had! Good pain though. martin

Ill Digger
11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Many here may know that here that I've sorta lived a reclusive detecting career since getting into the hobby last year...

.......It was the most fun I have had with the v3i, so I figured I owed it to the community to actually post a happy-gram. Martin
Now thats how we like to see our members posting!! :yes: :clapping:
Alotta times a change of scenery (as I like to put it) can make all the difference in the world!
Nice haul Martin!! thumbsup01 :clapping:
Congrats :grin:

jkress
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Way to go Martin. :clapping:
Glad to see you putting all your knowledge on the V3i to work. Definitely a productive hunt.
Looking forward to the other 80%. :->

Cheap Thrills
11-30-2011, 01:16 AM
A nice haul of clad there Martin . I'm confident you'll be posting silver and gold soon . :yes: |:cheering: