PDA

View Full Version : Lone Merc saves weekend

Cheap Thrills
11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Didn't hunt on thanksgiving day and only got in about 1 1/2 hrs at a hunted out spot the next day and only found some junk and about 12 cents . My wife told me Saturday that she noticed a lot that I hunt had been scraped so Saturday and Sunday I got about 7hrs. in on it .

I've hunted this lot very heavily the last couple of years getting not much of anything but a about 3 or 4 Rosies , a silver Washington , about a dozen Wheat ( not a lot of clad either) a cool Bethlehem Steel ID badge lots of keys and pounds of junk . Judging by the amount of pulltabs and screw tabs I have removed from here I would say many livers where destroyed at this location .

Saturday gave me 2 wheats a 57D and a 5:clapping: , 6 memorials , a clad Dime , a bit of junk and a fake gold ring I eyeballed that was partially uncovered in the dirt ( I really thought I had something there for a few seconds ) .
Sunday gave me the 40D Merc ( my only Merc from this spot ),a 45S and 56 Wheat and 67 cents in clad , a U.S. Army button and a pouch full of junk .

I'll be keeping my eye open to see if they move any more dirt around this lot . This has been a vacant lot since the 60's when they tore down a gas station that was there . I've been told this property belongs to a Doctor . It is tilled a couple of times a year to keep the weeds down . This is one of the very few vacant lots left in town .

I thought it was pretty darn nice of them to put those Porta-potties there for me . thumbsup01 lol

Thanks for looking and Happy holidays . :groovy:

aloldstuff
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Nice going on getting that merc and the wheats. Are those his and her porta-potties?

randy
11-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Gotta love the hunt saving merc. Hopefully there is more there for you.

SeabeeRon
11-28-2011, 08:26 PM
WTG keeping an eye open for those scrapes!! |:cheering:

CyberSage
11-28-2011, 09:21 PM
NICE! That's the way to take advantage of a new scrape. I wish I could get my Wife to scout for me. lol

Jack

hockeyguy
11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Bummer and surprising there isnt more silver there
Gotta be there sheik

Cheap Thrills
11-29-2011, 02:33 AM
Nice going on getting that merc and the wheats. Are those his and her porta-potties?

Thanks Al . Interchangeable as long as you are able to sit or stand .

Gotta love the hunt saving merc. Hopefully there is more there for you.

Thanks Randy , I was very happy to get the Merc .

WTG keeping an eye open for those scrapes!! |:cheering:

Thanks Ron , I was lucky my wife spotted it as it wasn't in my plans to even check out that place for a while .

[quote=CyberSage link=topic=8005.msg91306#msg91306 date=1322533293]
NICE! That's the way to take advantage of a new scrape. I wish I could get my Wife to scout for me. lol

Jack

Thanks Jack , If I was a real Sheik I'd have several wives scouting and doing the digging for me . I would also have several different wives carrying all my detectors and different coils so I could compare signals on undug targets . :yes: :daydream:[quote=hockeyguy link=topic=8005.msg91308#msg91308 date=1322533951]

Bummer and surprising there isnt more silver there
Gotta be there sheik

I've always thought there should be more silver there too . I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if they move any more dirt around .

jkress
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Love those Merc saving hunts. :clapping:
The button looks a little older. Any idea on it's age?
Congrats Sheik.

Cheap Thrills
11-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Love those Merc saving hunts. :clapping:
The button looks a little older. Any idea on it's age?
Congrats Sheik.

Thanks Joe . The button looks old as far as its decomposure and the lettering on the back but the front seems to be WW2 to present design . When I found it there was what appeared to be a clump of dirt on the back . I scratched it off with my fingernail . It was apparently a blistering of the outside metal casing of the button . The removal of the blister exposed a white material that is soft enough to be scraped out with a pointed toothpick . I can't tell if it is some type of plastic or a metal alloy that broke down over the years . All of the oldest finds that I have found at this lot so far have been 50's or 40's era . Maybe someone out there is a Military button expert ? Here's some better pictures .

:groovy: