PDA

View Full Version : Help

lotus
11-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I need some advice. My parents recently purchased a home on an island off the coast of South Carolina. For christmas I am looking at buying a Metal detector for my dad to use along the beach. I have started looking at Hybrid detectors that can go in the water as well as land. I know nothing about detectors.

I would like some advice on a brand and/or type that can be used in salt water. I am looking at staying under the $400 - $500 mark. In my intial research I have been looking at the Cobra Beach Magnet Metal Detectors, however, some of the reviews I have read stated that it will not pick up gold jewlery.

I appreciate any advice

Epi-hunter
11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm assuming your father will use this only on the beach, correct? (as opposed to detecting in dirt such as parks, etc). Also, it makes a lot of difference whether he will be using it on wet sand or dry sand or in the water (beyond knee deep), or all three.

The machine you are looking at (Cobra) is one that I am not familiar with, and I don't think many members will be. It is an underwater detector (according to the description) so your father could use it to water detect as well as on the beach.

If you do not think he will go into the water at all but just stick to the sand (wet or dry), it may make a difference in choice.

If it were me, and I intended to detect wet saltwater sand as well as (potentially) some underwater detecting at depths getting well last knee deep, as well as dry sand, then I would look seriously at a Minelab Excalibur II. This is primarily a water detector and can be completely submerged, and does well in salt water.

I'm sure others will offer input as well. Again, welcome! thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
12-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Maybe you can research here
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/Detectorcategories/watersurfdivebeachdetectors.htm
People say they get the AT Pro for $500 but you'd have to look into it.
Good luck.