PDA

View Full Version : Small Coil+TTF=Good Finds

Bell-Two
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Went out yesterday and to hunt an old house site at a park, we have pounded this place so severely it got to be if you found a wheatie you considered you were doing good. After reading a posting from my friend Terry’s (Goes4ever) post about using small coil, and TTF to hit a park site that he had pounded before and seeing his success doing that I was inspired to try the same. Using my Sunray X-8 my first target was the decorative case which has the two top pieces, part of the hinge and one of main pieces. It is a very interesting find. Found another piece that had engraving on it what it is I have no clue? Then between some iron I got just a very small signal reading 7-40 and I dug a 1951-D wheat. That impressed me because we have taken over 60 wheaties out of this site so I knew there were not many left. Found a very nice silver plated spoon that at first was a heart stopper dug my plug and I could see the back of the bowl shining through the dirt and I had visions of a Large Silver coin, well I am happy anyway with my find! Then just before I had to leave again amongst some iron I was getting a 12-35 jumpy but solid enough to dig of course. My only concern is that it was only a couple inches deep. Now this site is old enough (1820’s) to have about everything and in all our hunts I think the oldest coin pulled had been a 1916 wheat. On the plus side there was virtually no modern clad to be found except for the stray coin here or there. So imagine my delight to see an Indian Head emerge. My greater delight came when I saw it after washing it off. It is the most beautiful Indian I have ever dug and flat out about as good as any I have seen posted, this 1881 beauty made my day. Thanks Terry for the inspiration!

silversearcher
12-01-2011, 11:42 AM
:wow: thats some nice detail on the IH :omg: :drool: Great finds for a place thats been overhunted :clapping:

aloldstuff
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I am in agreement with the IH, that looks great. Using the smaller coil, do you have to go slower? Have you pulled any silver fromthe site?

Spike
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
That is one sweet IH :envious: :envious:

CODY
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
:wow: That is truly one beautiful IH. Congrats! And HH

Bell-Two
12-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I am in agreement with the IH, that looks great. Using the smaller coil, do you have to go slower? Have you pulled any silver fromthe site?

Yes you need to go slower, I probably did not go as slow as I should have but will go back again.

Yes silver has come from there mostly modern silver I have gotten a couple Rosey's and a Merc, my hunting partner has gotten a silver Washington, two Roseys and two Mercs, another friend got a Walking Liberty half. Over 60 wheaties too plus some artifacts. So far this is the only 1800's coin to come out.

Viking
12-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Whew, that is a beautiful coin! :smitten: Nice job! |:cheering:

Do you feel like you get much depth with TTF? In trash laden sites, I sometimes feel like I'm only finding items 1-3 inches deep. Do you find that you can see through this layer into the forbidden zone below with TTF?

Bell-Two
12-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Whew, that is a beautiful coin! :smitten: Nice job! |:cheering:

Do you feel like you get much depth with TTF? In trash laden sites, I sometimes feel like I'm only finding items 1-3 inches deep. Do you find that you can see through this layer into the forbidden zone below with TTF?

Depth doesn't seem to be a problem the match safe was at least 5 and I have dug a Buffalo at 8+ inches using TTF.

JTGOLD
12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
great looking IH and nice finds,wtg.

li tom
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I use the Sunray X-8 90+% of the time.I hunt mostly trashy sites and gives the best combo of depth and getting separation.Beautiful IH.

Tony Two-Cent
12-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Nice bunch of finds but that Indian Head is mesmerising! Holy cow, what a gorgeous coin! |:confused:)