PDA

View Full Version : 2 hr. afternoon hunt

Cheap Thrills
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
After a very dissapointing silverless 3 hr. afternoon hunt at Golden Gate Park yesterday , I hit a local pounded spot for 2hrs. today . I needed a silver fix VERY badly . The Explorer SE got in my good graces again by giving me a faint , tingly chirp on a 7 deep , on edge 61D Rosie . <:
Not a big deal to most but the spots around here have been getting pounded for years . :yes:
The four other targets I dug up today were 3 zincolns and a flattened screw cap . I found out from a guy who has taken his dogs to this park for years that 2 years ago this park took a pounding for several days by two detectorists. Right away I had a hunch who they were. After a bit more conversation my suspicions were confirmed . This means this park has been hit with Explorers by two longtime local legends . I can only imagine the amount of silver that they pulled out of it . Hopefully , one day , I find some spot that they or others haven't hit .
Thanks for looking . :groovy:

Full Metal Digger
12-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Golden Gate Park? Is that the same park where all the people lived after the 1906 earthquake? I saw a video of a guy (from the 80's or 90's maybe) who regularly hunts that park.

Cheap Thrills
12-02-2011, 11:00 PM
That's the one . There are still a group of guys who get together and hunt it regularly several days a week and have been doing it for years . They lately have had a lot of hunts without finding silver there .My last decent hunts there were a couple of years ago where I had a couple of triple silver days and a day where I found a real nice Walking Half .The Explorer's and now the E-tracs have really helped in cleaning out the coinage . The good hunts there are now are when they do scrapes for reforestation or bulldoze out the homeless nests in the overgrown shrubbery ( and you better be one of the first ones to know about it) . Over the years I have pulled some great coins out of there but not lately . I have found a few Barbers from the 1906 campers my best is an 1895S dime . There is still a lot of great old coins in that park but they are really deep .Some of the really trashy areas of the park give out an occasional goodie but most lose patience with it .

jkress
12-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Oh that Rosie will definitely give satisfaction for a silver fix. <:
Nice job of squeaking one out that the others have missed. :clapping:

I didn't realize you are a fellow Explorer user. thumbsup01 The machine can really sniff stuff out of the depths and trash. :smitten:

Congrats on another shiny.

Cheap Thrills
12-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Oh that Rosie will definitely give satisfaction for a silver fix. <:
Nice job of squeaking one out that the others have missed. :clapping:

I didn't realize you are a fellow Explorer user. thumbsup01 The machine can really sniff stuff out of the depths and trash. :smitten:

Congrats on another shiny.

Thanks Joe , I hunt with a few different detectors but when I'm deadly serious and I want silver I reach for the Explorer SE thumbsup01 . My other detectors of choice are the White's M6 and the Teknetics standard T2 . Each fills a certain niche . :yes:

Ill Digger
12-03-2011, 12:23 AM
There are still a group of guys who get together and hunt it regularly several days a week and have been doing it for years

:shocked04: Well your doin' something right if your able to get anything out of a park thats hunted that hard! :yes: thumbsup01
And who don't love seeing silver in their hole! <:
Nice find! thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

Cheap Thrills
12-03-2011, 12:36 AM
:shocked04: Well your doin' something right if your able to get anything out of a park thats hunted that hard! :yes: thumbsup01
And who don't love seeing silver in their hole! <:
Nice find! thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

Thanks Timmy , speaking of seeing silver at the bottom of the hole I recently got a Nikon Coolpix
( the cheapest one of course ) lol and If I ever find a new spot with a bit of promise I just may do a video or two . :yes:

Ill Digger
12-03-2011, 12:52 AM
.... and If I ever find a new spot with a bit of promise I just may do a video or two . :yes:
thumbsup01 Cool! :yes: That'd be great! thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
12-03-2011, 03:16 AM
Digging silver is always a win thumbsup01

aloldstuff
12-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Those other two guys may have pounded that park but they left you a rosie. What else did the leave behind:huh: As I read somewhere the other day, a site is not hunted out until you say it is.. Congrats on the silver fix

tanacat
12-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Congrats on your silver :beerbuddy:

Fire Fighter 43
12-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Nicely done!

Cheap Thrills
12-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Those other two guys may have pounded that park but they left you a rosie. What else did the leave behind:huh: As I read somewhere the other day, a site is not hunted out until you say it is.. Congrats on the silver fix

Thanks Al and all who looked and posted . A site is not hunted out until you say it is .......that is pretty profound , it makes me want to go back five more times and possibly find another Rosie . rofl Actually , it is a good way of looking at it . :yes: Even though my finds there haven't been on a grand scale there is enough there to increase my skills and it is nearby and peaceful . thumbsup01