PDA

View Full Version : Think I got some real ICE! UPDATE...is FAKE! BUMMER:(

hockeyguy
12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I got out for ~ 3.5 hours this am. It warmed up nicely and I had to remve a layer of clothing. I was going real slow...embarisingly slow as I didn't want to miss anything. I dug a few nails that really fooled me. I mean digging it deep and hearing a null with the probe but still a hint of hi tone possibilities. A rescan with the coil and a nice tone remains onlt to find the undesired culprit tom foolery!

Nonetheless, we dedicated detectorists continue on saying to ourselves ok the next signal I dig needs to be a definite coin, only to do the same thing. A few times it turned out good like on these 2 silvers and the couple wheats.

I got a signal on the fringe of copper/silver and spent a lot of time locating the sound due to the iron around it. I never did pinpont this sucker even after about 2.5 minutes. I dug down about 5 and ran my probe thru. In the side was a large item and I figured I had an old piece of copperb ut when i touched the probe to it, no sound. So in the hole I hear my target and it's definately a penny. Out comes this ring. I examined it for a few minutes, put it in the pouch and continued on.

I said to myself, self, when I get home, I will go with whatever my wife says, 'cause she's been rights every time I had a ring. I already figured she would identify it as junk in a few seconds, but this time was different. SHe looked and said I think it's real! SHe made specific commets about the setting, brilliance and finally, we ran it across a mirror and the mirrore was left with a scratch. Naturally, I will bring this to a jewler for confirmation, but me thinks this one is real!

Coming up as a copper penny at 7 25, Iam a bit surprised myself/

I am still working the old park that has given up some silver, IH's, the 1812 button and now this....guess I'll be there again.

Don't know if there's a resident jewler lurking here as good as the coin experts, but please chime in if you know something I don't/

HH

Aaron

RaZR
12-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I got a Mizar diamond detective. A hand held diamond tester for just such occasions. And haven't found another ring with diamonds since. But i know the ones in my first ring are real! (and real small) I can't remember how much it cost. I got it on E-bay. Hope yours is REAL. GL

HH

aloldstuff
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Nice hunting, going slow is key. Hoping that the ring is the real deal. Congrats on the silvers and wheats also.

silversearcher
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
thats a beauty :perfect10:

hope it's real

looks like you a had a great morning .... :wow: and silver too :omg: HH

milco
12-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice hunt, I hope that the ring is the real deal!

jkress
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
It's a great looking ring Aaron. :drool: I hope it's real for you.
If not, the Merc, Rosie and Wheats made for a great bunch of digs. :happydance01:
Congrats.

z118
12-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Nice digs! I hope the ring is real. For what it's worth, just about anything will scratch glass, including quartz and even other pieces of glass. Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

One way or other, congrats! Let us know what you find out!

CODY
12-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Very nice finds, let us know about the ring.

tanacat
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Major bummer! :crying02:

What is the ring made of-silver or gold plate? What's that stamp inside say, size 7? I've found about 30 rings total and only one of them has been gold :-\ I guess I don't check enough pop tabs lol I really love silver.

aloldstuff
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Man that really is a bummer. Good news is that you can now go and find the real thing. Hey at lest you got some silver out of the hunt.

Ill Digger
12-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Aww man! 8/ That is a bummer \:[ :(
It's still a fun find to make!
But hey! At least we know the silver is real! :yes: lol thumbsup01
I've found 2 or 3 rings this year that are stamped with a karat mark and are obviously not real. :rolleyes:
At least your was a definite maybe lol
You still had a good hunt! :yes: thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

del
12-05-2011, 07:08 PM
sorry the ring's ice is not real Aaron :hairpulling: but that place has produced an array of different and unique finds . i hope you get a few more weeks worth of hunts there .

Dan

Cheap Thrills
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Bummer !! Still counts as a ring find though . Nice going on the silvers and wheats . |:cheering:

silversearcher
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
:( Too bad it's not real.

But the Merc is in great shape :grin: HH