PDA

View Full Version : 1 COLONIAL HUNT 2 COPPERS 3 MUSKETBALLS

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
had the afternoon off so i made a beeline back up to my very 1st cellar holes that got me hooked on this aspect of the hobby.
a few buttons,2 tombacs,1 pewter button some broken shoe buckle frames 2 lead musketballs & 1 made of pewter.I asked this question before but never got any response on it.If lead was unavailable was it common practice to pour pewter for shot? I've dug several and just curious?
Last 3 targets were all coins.a 1865 indian head penny,a holed 1787 Connecticut copper and a ? KGI? not sure what it is? :confused: Dan? help!
this makes 70 IH's on the year and not far behind in the large copper dept at 65 3/4 I hope I can make 70!
see how much time was spent laying the stones in the old road.makes you appreciate how hard these colonists worked and what pride they took in their travel routes

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-05-2011, 08:07 PM
last set of pics

del
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
yup those spots up there could keep you busy for quite sometime Dave , with all the sites and all the pens and fields :smitten: :smitten: . they could have used pewter to cast some musket ball , after all pewter is just lead and tin and why throw out some of that old broken pewter spoon , fork or buckle when you could melt it down a re-use it as shot. the coin is hard to call it almost looks like a King George Ist bust type but the rest of the coin doesn't , regardless its a clonial copper and another for the pile :cheering: :cheering: . hey congrats on your chaincent making the whites stories for December :beerbuddy:

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
yup those spots up there could keep you busy for quite sometime Dave , with all the sites and all the pens and fields :smitten: :smitten: . they could have used pewter to cast some musket ball , after all pewter is just lead and tin and why throw out some of that old broken pewter spoon , fork or buckle when you could melt it down a re-use it as shot. the coin is hard to call it almost looks like a King George Ist bust type but the rest of the coin doesn't , regardless its a clonial copper and another for the pile :cheering: :cheering: . hey congrats on your chaincent making the whites stories for December :beerbuddy:

Dan

thanks Dan! yeah these sites have been good ones for sure |:cheering:

aloldstuff
12-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Another nice hunt Dave, I'm betting that you will hit the 70 copper total for this year.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Dan

CONGRATS to you too Dan on your pocket spill! just looked at the site now |:cheering:

Ill Digger
12-06-2011, 12:12 PM
8/ Oh man! :shocked04: Just like that!.....2 more colonial coppers!?! :shocked03:

, regardless its a clonial copper and another for the pile :cheering: :cheering:
You guys make me wanna :barf: lol

Out of jealousy of course :envious: |:confused:) lol
Another awesome hunt Dave! |:confused:)
Congrats :grin:

OxShoeDrew
12-06-2011, 05:39 PM
What a beautiful road! Sometimes I spend too much time looking at the beauty surrounding these sites and forget to detect :rolleyes:

tanacat
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
hey congrats on your chaincent making the whites stories for December :beerbuddy:

CONGRATS to you too Dan on your pocket spill! just looked at the site now |:cheering:

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: I've not been around here enuff lately! I'm missing out on all of the excitement thumbsup01 Congrats to the both of you!

Off to look for a &quot:grin:el coin spill thread... Hey Dave, how do you find your White's story?

see how much time was spent laying the stones in the old road.makes you appreciate how hard these colonists worked and what pride they took in their travel routes

That is one amazing road Dave- great pic! :)

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks Tana! here's both our stories on the same page
http://whiteselectronics.com/component/story/month_201112.html?start=12