PDA

View Full Version : seeing double

Dixie Rebel
12-06-2011, 06:32 AM
This was posted on another forum concerning double cursors on the Etrac. I noticed my Etrac had done this since new but really paid no attention to it. But it seems to affect alot of etracs. As far as performance I see no lost. Minelab said they would replace the board or upgrade the software. If it does act up I will send it in but as of now I see no reason to do so. It just bugs me because I know it's not suppose to do that.. So all you Etrac user do me a favor. See if you have this problem and let me know.

Tony Two-Cent
12-06-2011, 07:02 AM
I have heard of this problem but have not experienced it myself. I will let you know if I do.

CyberSage
12-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Is the second cursor random or does it group near the other one when receiving a consistent target hit?

Bell-Two
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I have seen this on mine occasionally, it seems to me that the it displays both because of the fast recovery. I wonder and I have never tried this because I vary rarely use the digital screen, if you turned FAST off if it would stop. I don't feel it is a real problem since by using the digital screen you are not rely so much on cursor placement rather than relying on the numbers.

Dixie Rebel
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Is the second cursor random or does it group near the other one when receiving a consistent target hit?
Consistent target hit . I've found lots of coins so i don't think it's a problem. Just wondering if this is inherent to all Etracs?

Ill Digger
12-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I have heard of this problem but have not experienced it myself.
Me too. But I haven't experienced it.
:confused: Or at least I haven't noticed it :dontknow: lol
I'll have to watch more. I rely more on the numbers and the sound too :thinkingabout:

Dixie Rebel
12-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Take to MINELAB and they said the PCB board would need replacing. Said it was a software glitch glad I have a 4 year warranty. Just hate to let it go and a two week turnaround time.

CyberSage
12-06-2011, 06:25 PM
It would kind of be a cool feature if you could turn it off, and on, and set it for how much history you wanted to retain (2,3,4,5 hits). You could definitely see a pattern of hits visually this way. The current hit and a history hits would need to have a different cursor though.

Spike
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
It would kind of be a cool feature if you could turn it off, and on, and set it for how much history you wanted to retain (2,3,4,5 hits). You could definitely see a pattern of hits visually this way. The current hit and a history hits would need to have a different cursor though.
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: That would be a good thing sometimes

del
12-11-2011, 12:30 PM
i heard this is a pretty common problem with alot of e-tracs and is some kind off software glitch and does not hinder the machine's peformance or accuracy in any way . George said his does this from time to time , goes and then comes back and a few people he knows that have sent theirs it to be fixed have had the problem return.

Dixie Rebel
12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Got this from another forum and makes me feel better. Hi all, just an update on situation.... As I said , I sent the E-trac back and had an E mail to say received by Minelab next day and they would be in touch. Following day had a couple of calls from service dept to confirm details of problem and after testing to give the prognosis. They have confirmed that the double crosshair is a glitch in the software but have no remedy at the moment to correct it, however they tested and confirmed that it is to do with the machine working in 3 frequency ranges and that when it occurs it is the board showing two targets where it should only show the strongest target signal.
They also guaranteed that it has no adverse effect on the processing and functioning of the E trac which I am happy to accept after a long Q&A session with the Service engineer ( I am from an electronic engineering backround and can tell bull when I hear it but he was honest and straight shooting).
I was also advised if they revise the software they will collect, update and return my machine at their cost. I was initially worried that this glitch would develop further and this was taken on board and for my peace of mind they offered to replace the Processor board whilst advising that the glitch may still re-occur.
The other issue I had was the short cable on the Koss headphones as I was used to a longer one which allowed me to place the machine down without taking the phones off every time.
So within 3 working days I received my E back with a new processor board complete with display screen and touch pad replaced, my phones were fitted with a longer stronger cable and a letter outlining the work done including serial numbers of board replaced and the offer of software update if developed. As a good will gesture for inconvenience I also found enclosed a Minelab shirt, hat and maglite torch.
From the minute I sent an E mail outlining my concerns I was treated with courtesy and respect and as well as E mails they had the decency to phone me along the way. I was thanked for taking the time to return the machine as it allowed them to see the issue first hand and log it for the attention of their development team.
I hope this alleviates any concerns that some of you like I have had about this issue.
Finally I would like to say if any of you have any concerns or questions, please contact Minelab. They are a pleasure to deal with and it is reassuring to see that great customer service is still available with people willing to listen and go out of their way for their customers.:clapping:

CyberSage
12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
however they tested and confirmed that it is to do with the machine working in 3 frequency ranges and that when it occurs it is the board showing two targets where it should only show the strongest target signal.

Does this mean it is a 3 frequency machine? Hmmmm? ...

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=8175.0

RobW
12-14-2011, 02:08 PM
This has previosly been discussed on the forum. I too have this issue along with many others. But it definatly does not affect the detector. I don't even use the function. My biggest issue is VOLTAGE OVERLOAD