PDA

View Full Version : New to everything

woodennickel
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Hello,

The name is Mike and I have been metal detecting about a week! I live in Parkersburg, WV and would be interested in meeting other mders in the area.

I have always had a desire to do some metal detecting, so when my buddy bought a good Tesoro at an auction, I told him if he say another md to get it for me. Lo and behold he got one the next week.! It's an old White's Coinmaster 5000. It's a good starter md, but I already have the itch for a newer one, so I believe Santa is going to bring me a new Vaquero for Christmas.

OK, so I just started, but during my very first time using my new, old detector, I found a 1941-D Liberty walking half dollar at my friend's house. What a way to start!!!

I plan on retiring in less than three years and plan to fit in metal detecting between my wood turning and keeping the homestead in proper shape. Also, I have eight grandkids to teach so much to, including metal detecting.

It's a pleasure to be new to mding and to the forum.

Jeff (or)
12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey Mike, welcome to the forums and metak detecting, that 1941-D half is a great first find!!! Here's to finding many,many more!!!!! :beerbuddy:

aloldstuff
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Welcome Mike from western MA. Eight grandkids = 8 detectors. Welcome to a wonderful hobby and finding a Walker is fantastic. Hope you can overcome the addiction that most of us on here have. LOL

Ill Digger
12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey Mike! :groovy:
Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois! :grin:
Glad you found us!
You'll love this addiction hobby! :yes: thumbsup01 lol

woodennickel
12-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the welcomes everybody. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the forum. I like the sort of technical side of things, and I'm sure everyone's patience is sometimes tried by we who are learniing the hobby. Sounds like a great bunch of folks. Thanks!

Tony Two-Cent
12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mike!

It sounds like you are off to a great start! A walking liberty half is a great find!

Glad to have you here!

del
12-07-2011, 04:26 AM
hello Mike and welcome to the forum , congrats on your silver walking half :smitten: :smitten: a great coin

randy
12-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Welcome from Chester County, PA. Nice find on that walker.

Epi-hunter
12-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike! Great first find! :shocked04: :clapping:

CODY
12-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Welcome from the grand old state od Mississippi. Sounds like your off to a good start. Looking forward to your post and finds. HH

jkress
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Congrats on being so close to retirement... unlimited metal detecting time. :yes: lol
You've opened the book to a very fun and addicting hobby. I can imagine you've been bitten by the
treasure bug by the Walking Liberty you have found. They are a tough one to come by.
Please feel free to join in the fun here. We love to see pictures of any finds. thumbsup01

starman2
12-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike. I'm new too. Enjoy the ride!!

Fire Fighter 43
12-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. Congrats on finding a Walking half if that won't get you oozed nothing will. Goodluck and HH

396nova
12-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Welcome from another SE Wisconsin detectorist. Glad you found the site. thumbsup01 You will find plenty of help here. :clapping: You have a great location for detecting. You are off to a great start.

OxShoeDrew
12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm almost sorry you found a walking half during your first week ....as you are now an addict. :dontknow: I bet you now size up every yard, field, sidewalk strip, beach, inch of dirt for it's detectabilty.
Its a great addiction though. <: I wish you luck and hope one of your grand-children finds a large cent on their first time out. Good luck this coming week and welcome to our forum!

two_bit_digger
12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Congrats on that big silver half!!! perfect way to start. :beerbuddy:

There's no way around it now...you're hooked for life.