PDA

View Full Version : Tumblers

MartinL
12-06-2011, 11:32 PM
A few questions before pulling the trigger on getting a rock tumbler. If I were to get a single barrel unit and intend on doing my pennies in one run, and dimes and all the rest of the coins in a second run, do you change the gravel between runs or do you just rinse it after the pennies? Is it a mistake to not just get the 2 barrel unit in the first place? A run or two will basically get me all caught up, so a single can easily do the short term job. Thanks. Martin

Ill Digger
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
This is the little tumbler I've been using for the last 2 years :yes: lol
[attachimg=1]
My buddy uses one like this....
[attachimg=2]
....and is done in a fraction of the time it takes me. lol :yes: thumbsup01

I'll be picking up one like his when this little one I got burns up lol

do you change the gravel between runs or do you just rinse it after the pennies?
No. You don't need to change it. Just rinsing them off inbetween each batch of coins is good enough. :yes: thumbsup01
Sometimes you might need to add a little more stone. You see sometimes the stones that you keep reusing will wear down themselves. And some will break and get lost with the rinsing cycle. Once you get set up and running you'll get to a point were you can just tell .
There's also another discussion on tumblers here you might like to look at thumbsup01 :
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=7997.msg91164#msg91164

Bell-Two
12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Watch Harbor Freight ads, they will probably have them on sale here soon, this time of year they run a lot of sales. I have both the single one and earlier this year got the double one on sale for not much more than the single one cost.

p52ntwrk
05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
you can make one from a little motor that doesnt spin to fast, i took a table top shadow projector carousel type thing apart. i basically just made a jig from wood and mounted the base to it and use a paint can as the tub.

ill try to draw it in paint excuse my interpretation as ive thrown it away a year ago.
they are about $50 on ebay
btw i used wood ash water and white sand in the tumbler
also i tumbled rocks not valuable stuff

good luck what ever you decide.
make sure the motor has some torque to it, my carousel spun glass ornaments so it worked great :rolleyes: