PDA

View Full Version : In line filters

hftrsrskr
12-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Does anybody have any experience with those in-line filters that attach to the coil wire and claim to reduce EMI and RFI interference?

Jason in Enid
12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Never heard of them. I have seen frequency shifters, but those were mainly a gimick. I think the only real use they found was for competition hunters to keep from cross-talking to same-model detectors.

Are they still making these? I don't remember seeing one in many years.

del
12-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Does anybody have any experience with those in-line filters that attach to the coil wire and claim to reduce EMI and RFI interference?

hello hftrsrskr , welcome to the forum ;)
they do still make these for some detectors and some guys will swear by them . what detector did you want it for i might be able to help you locate some .

Dan

hftrsrskr
12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
I have a Vaquero and a Compadre and saw the filters on ebay for 6-7 bucks. Just wondered if they did anything.

del
12-08-2011, 09:17 PM
most of these you see are just standard ferrite bead inline filters and will reduce some emi from high power tension wires but most of your emi issues are under that khz and they won't do much if anything to help with that . you could give them a try its your buck.

Dan

CyberSage
12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
This is my experience with them Dan. They do help a little directly under high voltage lines, but have no effect most of the time. They are cheap, and radio shack carries two different types. Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money them.

MartinL
12-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Would there be a gain loss with an inserted device in-line? I'd think that there'd possibly be a 3db hit, half power with the extra connectors. Just a thought.

CyberSage
12-09-2011, 07:01 PM
It does not actually plug into the cable. It snaps on around it, or in the case of the circular ones the cable is just threaded through it twice.

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/mains/Part2FerritePic.jpeg

MartinL
12-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I see, it is a ferrite bead. Thanks. Does it mount near the box or near the coil? martin

CyberSage
12-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I would think as close to the box as you can get it.