PDA

View Full Version : DFX Deep Silver program

starman2
12-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I have just recently purchased a new DFX 300. And since. Have added a Whites D2 coil. Been trying the unit out, to make sure everything is working as it should. I have been using my XLT most of the summer. And have had great results, using a deep silver program that I had got from ebay. Since the DFX allready has the deep silver program installed. I have been trying to get this program to work as good as the XLT. The first thing I noticed about this detector in this program. Are the many false signals I'm getting. Even just holding the coil in the air, without any motion. BEEP, BEEEP, BEEEP! A couple of places I was at. There were electric wires nearby. I figured I would choose a spot well away from the wires. But am still getting lots of false beeping going on. I have not played with the settings too much yet. Just trying to make sure the unit is good, before the ground freezes. I am working some spots, that I have cleaned out pretty well this summer. But thought I would see if there were any missed targets. I am really hoping this detector will work as good or better then the XLT. I chose the DFX because of the many different coils, that I can apply. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

del
12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
hey Starman2 , i also came from an xlt to a dfx and know just what you mean . the xlt is a very stable and quiet running machine and while the xlt and the dfx look virtually the same ( except for a few outside cosmetic stickers) they certainly don't act like it. at first the dfx comes across as very chattery and seems to fales more . the deep silver program is an experienced level or hotter program and because so you probably have to adjust some of the settings because or your ground , emi and or coil selection . remember that dfx is calibrated for the standard 9.5 inch coil and that d2 coil is bigger and a different type and some key adjustments will make your machine settle down . i myself almost never run my preamp at 4 because in most places the machine will run very quirky or unstable but at a preamp at 3 i still get very good depth and stability . try lowering you AC sensitivity down to where the machine starts to settle down first say around the mid 60's and if that doesn't help lower your pre amp 1number if that doesn't do anything you might have another issue . let me hear back please.

Dan

pulltabsteve
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Super advice Dan! The D2 is a hot coil, very sensitive. I even had to back off on the sensitivity on my M6. Starman, Im sure if you back off the settings as Dan suggested, you will really love that set-up.

starman2
12-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I did tune down the AC a couple times. It did seem to quiet a bit. Also turned down the DC. But put it back where it was. Didn't want to get too many things out of wack at once. Didn't do anything with the preamp yet. Just kind of experimented a little. I was afraid of losing depth. I will try your suggestions the next time out. So far no snow, as predicted. So tomorrow might be a better day. I've allready noticed the depth reading not being what they were supposed to be. I read about the different coils having an effect on this. So no problem there. Would I be wise to purchase a 9.5 for this detector, until I get used to it? I used the 9.5 on the XLT for the whole summer. So I'm kind of used to the way it reacts. The D2 seems like a great coil. I like the DD effect. But I really liked the 9.5 for pin pointing. And got great depth with it.

del
12-09-2011, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I did tune down the AC a couple times. It did seem to quiet a bit. Also turned down the DC. But put it back where it was. Didn't want to get too many things out of wack at once. Didn't do anything with the preamp yet. Just kind of experimented a little. I was afraid of losing depth. I will try your suggestions the next time out. So far no snow, as predicted. So tomorrow might be a better day. I've allready noticed the depth reading not being what they were supposed to be. I read about the different coils having an effect on this. So no problem there. Would I be wise to purchase a 9.5 for this detector, until I get used to it? I used the 9.5 on the XLT for the whole summer. So I'm kind of used to the way it reacts. The D2 seems like a great coil. I like the DD effect. But I really liked the 9.5 for pin pointing. And got great depth with it.

i'm not a great source for the d2 as i'm not a big fan of that coil but if it pinpoints like the 6x10 (the other DD coil of whites) i can give you some tips . in general , smaller targets will sound and act deeper than they are and large objects will sound shallower and moisture or lack of it will aid in this as well . the dfx will be its most stable with a 950 standard coil and would be best to break the machine in and get use to it but so would running the standard programs for a while . are you running the v.c.o. on the machine and the :huh: this will help with the pinpointing as sometimes it takes a few holes to figure out where the hot spot is . good luck Starman2 and please let us know if you need more help.

Dan

pulltabsteve
12-09-2011, 03:34 PM
If you are thinking of getting a 950 let me know. I have an extra that I used for maybe 2 hunts.

starman2
12-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the advice Dan! Reset the AC to a lower number. Actually about 70. The pre-amp was set to 2. I raised that to 3. Took the detector out in the back yard. Ground balanced. And started sweeping. Much more stable. Of course my back yard is empty. I made sure of that this summer. Ha! But I was picking up a few signals. Junk I think. Got some snow late last night. So I didn't venture out. Temps are supposed to rebound a little next week here. So hopefully I will be able to take the DFX out again. Somewhere, where I might find something. GOOD HUNTING!!

del
12-09-2011, 09:18 PM
machines in general but more so i've noticed with the dfx it will act a little erratic when the ground is saturated with moisture and especially so when just the top is wet (wet grass from dew , very wet leaves and even frozen water or frost on grass or leaves ) . i think the return signal gets skewed a bit to confuse the machine just enough to give it a false here and there and the DD coils seem to be the worse under these kind of conditions , thats when i will use the standard coil . turning the AC down can help as does turning down the pre-amp .

don't know if you've looked at this but heres a link to some very good info on the dfx
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=104.0

Dan

starman2
12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Just ordered Jeff Fosters book. Digging deeper with the DFX. Hopefully that will teach me of few things. And it will give me something to read. While waiting for the ground to thaw. Thanks for the info Dan!

Ytcoinshooter
12-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Hey starman2, read, read and reread Digging Deeper with the DFX. Take it out in the back yard with you. If you plant a test plot and practice what you read the relationship between settings will be clearer. I spent hours doing that with my old DFX ( XLT & many other detectors). Seeing how the preamp gain, AC sens, DC sens, filtering, recovery delay and sweep speed affect performance is necessary. Often one setting can compliment or offset another. It's in the book. Just dont over drive the unit. Good luck.