PDA

View Full Version : Which detector - Help me!!

woodennickel
12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
I need help! I am new to the hobby, and somewhat technical minded, and I need help picking a new md. Santa is bringing me a new one. OK, I'm paying for it, but he is bringing it!

Being in the east, WVa, I will be going after the usual - coins, jewelry and relics.
And, after having studied and studied about metal detecting and metal detectors, I have decided on either a Tesoro Vaquero or Tejon. Both have excellent ratings and reviews, and both have features I like. It's too bad that manufacturers can't give you a menu to pick and choose which features you want, like buffet style.

So help me out, please.

I like the Vaquero's multiple frequencies and simplicity of use. It has the best reviews out there, and some people have said they prefer it over the Tejon.

On the other hand, I like the dual discriminators on the Tejon, and especially the VCO. Some reviewers complained it was unstable and had auto-tune probs and was mushy in mineralized ground. From what I have read however, I don't believe that mineralization will be much of a problem in West Virginia. My neophyte instinct tells me that perhaps setup causes some of these problems for some people.

The Tejon is a little heavier and takes several AAs, but I believe the weight difference to be negligible and I can afford to buy batteries if that is what it takes to run the thing.

Thanks for the help.

dave in iowa
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
If you have the money buy a minlab e-track , best one out there

del
12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
hello Woodennickel , first let me welcome you to the forum and to say that the two machines your debating about are both very good detectors . i also like the dual discriminators and V.C.O. on the Tejon and for those two reasons and the fact its more of a relic machine , i would select it over the Vaquero. i know i didn't help you out much but there are a couple of members here that use tesoro and i hope they put in their two cents worth of good info to help you out more. again welcome to the forum.

Dan

Epi-hunter
12-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I will extend my welcome as well :)

You clearly have done your research. I believe in reading everything you can get your hands on, talking to anyone who will listen and respond, and finding out everything you possibly can before making the decision. You are taking the right approach! As a beginner it is difficult still, because you just have to trust some things on faith until you get in the field and learn them for yourself... and that's okay. That is absolutely the best thing you can do.

I am not familiar with Tesoro land machines (have heard nothing but great things about them) but I am an E-Trac user because it does well for me.

Del is the best and really knows his stuff, so I would agree with his reply to you just based on my knowledge of him. It sounds like you have done all the research you can, too. I think it might help to know if you primarily want to look for coins or for relics.

I didn't help much but I am confident you will do well with whichever you choose. :) Keep us updated and don't forget to post your finds! :)

woodennickel
12-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Well, thanks for the comments so far. It's nice to find a place with helpful folks.

Dave, the e-track is nice from what I have read, but it descriminates out my pocketbook. Thanks for the info, though.

Dan, or Del, I will display my youthful (Ha!), let's say....neophytic ignorance and ask why you say that the Tejon is a better relic hunter. I will be hunting old coins primarily, but relics also. There is a civil war site nearby, not a battle ground, just an encampment or fort site.

Epi, thanks for the kind words. Learning who to rely on for info is a big plus.

Thanks to all.