PDA

View Full Version : 3 amigos

coinnut
02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Got a chance to do some cellar hole hunting with Angel and Del today. Went to our usual place. It's giving up fewer and fewer targets, so we need a new spot lol Did manage a nice complete shoe buckle (sorry HeavyMetalNut ;)), and a real corroded Connecticut copper. This is the third Conn copper from this site. Other usual items include lantern parts, them dreaded &quot:grin: buckles, a small ox knob (whippee) and a neat silver plated item. I think it may have been decoration, possibly for a horse. A good day out none the less. At least we can dig (well mostly :ticked:)

del
02-13-2010, 05:33 PM
hey pretty good day out :yes: ( FOR YOU :ticked: ) i guess that good feeling i had wasn't for me lol lol very sweet shoe buckle i think thats the first one i've seen this year ;) and the Connecticut is better than i thought it would be :yes:.

it was good to see Angel out today ( he must of thought we were nuts before to be out there in the snow and cold that long lol) but after out with us most of the day today i'm sure he doesn't think it . rofl now he must be absolutely possitive we're loonies to the core. :crazy: :twirlingeyes: rofl rofl hey Angel had a good time out there today , our next time out with ya ( if theres a next time lol lol) will be more productive i'm sure . enjoyed the conversation on the road and the laughs . thumbsup01

well here's a few pictures of the sites and my meager day of finds and last but not least couple of shots of Angel and us . ( by the way i have about twelve extra pictures of me and Angel on my camera if anyone want some , thanks George . :crazy: :shocked04: :poke: lol rofl)

coinnut
02-13-2010, 06:17 PM
well here's a few pictures of the sites and my meager day of finds and last but not least couple of shots of Angel and us . ( by the way i have about twelve extra pictures of me and Angel on my camera if anyone want some , thanks George . :crazy: :shocked04: :poke: lol rofl)

Those extra pictures are just in case you delete the first ones. rofl Not that I think you don't know how to work your camera or anything :huh: :-\ :-\ lol That Connecticut is really trashed. I had to hold it just right to see the letters. But it was probably dropped when it was new. Lots of good detail on the parts remaining, but the water killed it. It was a good hunt for me and Angel lol Maybe you should be the next one to sell your DFX? :poke: :poke:

del
02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Those extra pictures are just in case you delete the first ones. rofl Not that I think you don't know how to work your camera or anything :huh: :-\ :-\ lol Maybe you should be the next one to sell your DFX? :poke: :poke:

if i know how to use my camera :confused: :confused: i am continually amazed you have it upstairs to understand that e-trac , buddy. :poke: :poke: lol sell my DFX?? those are fighting words now :ticked: :bop: lol lol just for that comment i feel that this DFX of mine will make you eat those words on our next hunt . :yes: ;)

John M
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
The site still is giving up some things.The shoe buckle is a good find and the copper as well.Dan the pewter item looks like a finial of some sort or possibly the bottom part of a hanging chandelier.Hope Angel did ok with you guys.Things do look to be slowing down at that site.

coinnut
02-13-2010, 06:47 PM
just for that comment i feel that this DFX of mine will make you eat those words on our next hunt . :yes: ;)

I hope you have that warm and fuzzy feeling about a site again lol I do my best work when you get a hunch :poke: Peace brother ;)

coinnut
02-13-2010, 06:50 PM
The site still is giving up some things.The shoe buckle is a good find and the copper as well.Dan the pewter item looks like a finial of some sort or possibly the bottom part of a hanging chandelier.Hope Angel did ok with you guys.Things do look to be slowing down at that site.

Thanks John, at least someone appreciates my efforts lol I'm thinking that maybe that piece Dan found is a candle snuffer?? Or maybe not :confused: That site is leaving less and less for us. I think we are gonna give it a rest for real, this time :rolleyes:

angellionel
02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey, those are still some cool finds guys. thumbsup01 George, you should have left that buckle where it was for Dan and I to pick up later. We were already heading that way. lol That is a sweet find. :yes: The CT copper still has some good details considering where it had been. Great photos by the way.

Here are my finds for the day, three full buttons and half of another. The other stuff includes the handle of a pewter spoon, and several other pieces that sounded really nice. ;)

del
02-13-2010, 07:24 PM
ya Angel i should of told you George is a greedy little pig when it comes to finds lol lol he rarely shares . :poke:

very nice looking buttons .

hey John you've been MIA lately hope all is well my friend ?? the item is deffinately pewter , maybe the top to an old inkwell or like George said a candle snuffer . it was at the second site and someone started to dig a hole and left it , it was a great sounding target almost like a coin sound and it was all of 12 to 14 inches down .

John M
02-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I have been taking care of some things.Always ready to get into the swing of things just let me know when.

Nice button finds Angel.What did you think of that site...besides having to be part deer to get in there.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
nice stuff guys! that buckle is sweet!!!!!!! thumbsup01
dan with the glasses rofl just bustin yer chops dan :poke:

del
02-13-2010, 07:50 PM
nice stuff guys! that buckle is sweet!!!!!!! thumbsup01
dan with the glasses rofl just bustin yer chops dan :poke:

hey no sticks in the eye thumbsup01 :grin:

coinnut
02-13-2010, 07:54 PM
ya Angel i should of told you George is a greedy little pig when it comes to finds lol lol he rarely shares . :poke:

That's not true :bop: :bop: I share...you get all the junk rofl rofl.... :angelic:

angellionel
02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I have been taking care of some things.Always ready to get into the swing of things just let me know when.

Nice button finds Angel.What did you think of that site...besides having to be part deer to get in there.

I thought it was a great site, one with potential. As with any such large areas, it isn't possible to cover it all in just one trip, so I can see why Dan and George continue to hit it. I did have a great time, and enjoyed both the walk and the detecting. I sure needed the time out after being locked in by old mean winter for the past several weeks. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 09:39 PM
angel? is that a button to the left? in top pic ? like to see that one cleaned up! thumbsup01

angellionel
02-13-2010, 09:50 PM
angel? is that a button to the left? in top pic ? like to see that one cleaned up! thumbsup01

It is. :yes: I do have to clean it. I'll post it when I do. :)

Ill Digger
02-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Cool pics ,nice finds, and got to hang out with some of the guys.
Sounds and looks like a good time !
Congrats to all :grin:

CyberSage
02-14-2010, 03:22 PM
That looks like a lot of fun guys! Thanks for sharing the hunt. Nice bunch of finds.

Jack

tanacat
02-15-2010, 02:47 PM
That one 'decoration for a horse' - the silver plated one, that's neat... So intricate!

John M
02-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Dan,
Was poking around looking at different sites and noticed this carriage lamp.The bottom section almost looks like the item that you dug this weekend,another possibility but not sure.

sniffy
02-15-2010, 05:52 PM
That shoe buckle is friggin sweet, and EXACTLY like one I have.

tanacat
02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Dan,
Was poking around looking at different sites and noticed this carriage lamp.The bottom section almost looks like the item that you dug this weekend,another possibility but not sure.

Wow that's neat that you came across that John- it sure looks like it! thumbsup01

coinnut
02-15-2010, 05:56 PM
That shoe buckle is friggin sweet, and EXACTLY like one I have.

Who would have thought .... mass production in the 1790's lol lol But a lot of them are the same. Same mold, same cast I guess :rolleyes:

John M
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Wow that's neat that you came across that John- it sure looks like it! thumbsup01

I like to try to research as much as I can.It was just dumb luck when I seen that lantern,but it is very much a possible I.D.

sniffy
02-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Who would have thought .... mass production in the 1790's lol lol But a lot of them are the same. Same mold, same cast I guess :rolleyes:
I still think complete shoe buckles are better than coppers.

coinnut
02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I still think complete shoe buckles are better than coppers.

Sometimes they are, especially when you get a copper slug! :mad: Them shoe buckles almost always come out nice. Why didn't our forefathers have the insight to make coppers from buckle material lol Man o man what a collection we would all have. Ah heck, just make them coppers out of silver while you are at it rofl

sniffy
02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Sometimes they are, especially when you get a copper slug! :mad: Them shoe buckles almost always come out nice. Why didn't our forefathers have the insight to make coppers from buckle material lol Man o man what a collection we would all have. Ah heck, just make them coppers out of silver while you are at it rofl
Dirt fishing for brass

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
no dirt fishing this weekend :crying02: or snow fishing i mean :bangahead01:

del
02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
no dirt fishing this weekend :crying02: or snow fishing i mean :bangahead01:

maybe not for you but with the temps hanging around 40 ish the next few days we might make it out up here :tongue: :tongue:

coinnut
02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
maybe not for you but with the temps hanging around 40 ish the next few days we might make it out up here :tongue: :tongue:

Yep, weez a goin' detecting for sure :grin:

sniffy
02-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Only detecting I'm gonna be doin this weekend is hiking a new area RICH in 1770's history!.....ONE cellar hole, 2 cellar hole, 3 cellar hole MORE!

del
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Only detecting I'm gonna be doin this weekend is hiking a new area RICH in 1770's history!.....ONE cellar hole, 2 cellar hole, 3 cellar hole MORE!

well here some good advice for ya Sniffy , if ya bring Dave remember to bring a drool bucket for him or be prepared to be wet . lol rofl ;)

Epi-hunter
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM

I don't get this. :confused: How can this be geographically possible? :confused: :bangahead01: I live in the SOUTH and I'm buried in snow and freezing temperatures! :crying02:

I am officially sick of winter! lol

sniffy
02-17-2010, 08:25 PM
well here some good advice for ya Sniffy , if ya bring Dave remember to bring a drool bucket for him or be prepared to be wet . lol rofl ;)
hahah...yeah...he does get a bit excited when he's around...holes...in the ground.

coinnut
02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Just don't start finding too many coppers with his old DFX lol He may want it back :rolleyes: But if I were you, I would check the bottom of your coil. He may have taped a big rusty nail to it.... Bad Dave :bop: Bad Dave :bop: :bop: lol

sniffy
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Just don't start finding too many coppers with his old DFX lol He may want it back :rolleyes: But if I were you, I would check the bottom of your coil. He may have taped a big rusty nail to it.... Bad Dave :bop: Bad Dave :bop: :bop: lol
If he trys that, well...Ill uhh...put his dinosaur in a nursing home.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-18-2010, 07:39 AM
lol George shhush..there already is a clad quarter underneath the coil cover! ya blew my cover man! :bangahead01: :bangahead01: :bangahead01: :beatdown:

SeabeeRon
02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Great looking hunt guys!! Don't think this West Coast Beach Boy would hold up well back there! :embarrassed: :twirlingeyes: 8)

coinnut
02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Great looking hunt guys!! Don't think this West Coast Beach Boy would hold up well back there! :embarrassed: :twirlingeyes: 8)

lol Give us a week with you, and you'd be crazy enough to be there with us. :crazy:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
snows a meltin :drool: may be hope soon! thumbsup01

del
02-19-2010, 08:54 AM
snows a meltin :drool: may be hope soon! thumbsup01

make up your mind man , just twelve posts up ago there was no detecting this weekend and now there may be hope . :bop: :bop: ye of little faith my friend.

tanacat
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
So I take it there's an old homesite nearby- since it's a cellar hole, right? How did you originally find this great site? I'm going to keep my eye out for them now... so much to learn!!!

Kinda off the subject of cellar hole hunting, but I'm looking forward to detecting some plowed fields, where there were homesites (broken china) I noticed when arrowhead hunting. I kept my eye out for marbles, pipes and such in those areas- but never thought about taking a metal detector out there! C'mon sunshine... and plowing and tilling... lol

del
02-19-2010, 11:03 AM
So I take it there's an old homesite nearby- since it's a cellar hole, right? How did you originally find this great site? I'm going to keep my eye out for them now... so much to learn!!!

Kinda off the subject of cellar hole hunting, but I'm looking forward to detecting some plowed fields, where there were homesites (broken china) I noticed when arrowhead hunting. I kept my eye out for marbles, pipes and such in those areas- but never thought about taking a metal detector out there! C'mon sunshine... and plowing and tilling... lol

hey Tanacat , ya in Connecticut there are thousands of old abandon homesites (nothing left but their foundations or as we call them cellar holes) out in the woods some are on old maps some arn't . the past few we just stumble onto them looking for other ones . fields can be very productive for cool finds , good signs to look for are as you said and a clump of trees in the middle of a field too. we hit fields as well but they are overgrown with mature trees now ( haven't been plowed in more than a hundered years or more ). :yes: :grin:

tanacat
02-19-2010, 11:55 AM
hey Tanacat , ya in Connecticut there are thousands of old abandon homesites (nothing left but their foundations or as we call them cellar holes) out in the woods some are on old maps some arn't . the past few we just stumble onto them looking for other ones . fields can be very productive for cool finds , good signs to look for are as you said and a clump of trees in the middle of a field too. we hit fields as well but they are overgrown with mature trees now ( haven't been plowed in more than a hundered years or more ). :yes: :grin:

Oh okay, I don't mean to sound dumb :-\ yeah cellar holes are usually UNDER the homes... it seems I remember my great grandma's 'cellar' being a little walks away built in the side of a hill. (I would gather eggs from the chicken coop near there) And ma and pa's cellar in 'Little House on the Prairie' too lol

coinnut
02-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Here, cellar holes are the remains of the original home. They usually burned down and sometimes weren't rebuilt on. Around here, built into the side of a hill is a barn. 3 sides made of stone. Another rock formation may be a root cellar which is just for keeping foods cold and extending their usuable time. Them fields should produce some old coins. They can be very noisy and contain all kinds of junk lol Broken china can mean an old home site or just the area they used to bury their trash. Definitely try it and let us know what you come up with. I have had some real nice success with hunting old farm fields, although some have also been eerily quiet. :confused:

tanacat
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks George and Dan for the insight. I admit I have soooo much to learn about this hobby, I mean sport... lol

I'm hoping Angie will join me in the field- it's a hugenormous corn field! thumbsup01 100+ acres of plowed field- on the top of the highest knob is the old homesite at about the very center. What a view standing there in the middle of it- an arrowhead hunters dream! I wonder if there's an arrowhead section here? It does involve some 'dirt digging' to extent :grin:

Epi-hunter
02-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm hoping Angie will join me in the field- it's a hugenormous corn field! thumbsup01 100+ acres of plowed field- on the top of the highest knob is the old homesite at about the very center. What a view standing there in the middle of it- an arrowhead hunters dream! I wonder if there's an arrowhead section here? It does involve some 'dirt digging' to extent :grin:

I am definitely looking forward to joining you! It sounds like a really great opportunity and a very peaceful place... thank you for the invitation! :)

del
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks George and Dan for the insight. I admit I have soooo much to learn about this hobby, I mean sport... lol

sport i wish !!! Angel , Coinnut and I would be entered as the 3 man tandem cellar detecting biathalon in this winter Olympics at Vancouver. lol lol :twirlingeyes: