PDA

View Full Version : New E-Trac on the Way

earthmansurfer
12-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Ok, it's a month old but the price was too good and it has the full warranty (card wasn't turned in yet - Is that true?). In Germany they cost €1550 Euro and I found a 1 month old unit for €1000 Euro in England from a dealer. :omg: It was on Ebay in England for 4 days, guess things cost less in England than here (New E-Tracs are around 1300 Euros there).

So, it will be here early next week. Wasn't even planning on getting one till next year as Winter is coming, but the price and condition was too good to pass up.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more about the unit and seeing how it compares on coins with my V3i. I already have been using the emulator - what a great learning aid. I have Andy's book but have only started it a few weeks ago. Now I'll have to finish...

I have read a lot on the unit, but any tips off the top of your head, feel free to post! I hunt in mild ground with lots of iron usually (Yes, TTF territory).

Looking Forward,
Albert

CyberSage
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Congratulations on the new E-Trac Albert! Looking forward to the Spring myself. :frozen: Winter is here for me. The ground is frozen here in Northern Colorado. I think you be amazed at how well the E-Trac performs in trashy and iron infested environments. I did not get in many hunts with the E-Trac, but the hunts that I had, really impressed me with the ability of this machine. After tweaking the hundreds of adjustments on the V3/V3i over the last 3 years I was pleasantly surprised by the very simple interface on the E-Trac. It took me less than 15 minutes to program it with desired settings after It was out of the box. I have to warn you. You will find that you have been spoiled by the very nice display on your V3i however. I have some glare shields coming for the E-Trac display that should help. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts Albert.

Jack

kenfen
12-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Hi Albert,

The glare has not really bothered me, as I tend to put the screen on the setting where the numbers are larger sized. And, really the audio guides me more and more. Get ready to dig deep. Here in Baltimore, the parks are really huge and have been hit hard, but with the Etrac, I've come away with many things others have missed.

It's a great machine. Congrats on the good deal.

Regards, Ken

RaZR
12-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Congratulations on your new baby!
You will be pulling old silver german coins out of the ground as soon as spring comes back.
I got a deal on mine on E-bay too! And i love it!!!!!!

GL/HH

earthmansurfer
12-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Kenfen - I mostly got the glare shields order for filming reasons. I think you guys will get a kick out of some of my German finds.

RaZR - I am curious about the depth. My V3i goes very very deep as well. I'd say if the settings are right on, it probably is a little more or a little less than the E-Trac. But, my worry sometimes is that with ground changes, or when I hunt a new spot that my settings are off. Well, that is where I'm really curious about the E-Trac, as it monitors the ground. I have 1 spot that I have pounded to death, first with my Omega and that got me around 15 silver and around 40 old non silver coins (200 - 400 years old). I went through it with my V3i and got 2 more hammered coins, 1 other regular coin and that is all! I'll see what the E-Trac can do there. No real trash, just iron. I think that will be a good place to learn it as I won't be overwhelmed with sounds.

Semi interesting story regarding my purchase. There was another E-trac, 17 months old (I emailed and asked the man, wasn't posted in the info.) that was up to 750 Pounds on ebay.co.uk. The one I bought had only a buy it now price for 850 Pounds. The former one had one day left to go and I thought someone that doesn't get that one, sooner or later, is going to buy the 850 one. Even without that auction, I was wondering why no one bought it, but it was only out for a few days. And a great deal, especially if they compare the value of a 17 month old, non warranty transferrible one to one with a fully warranty! But, even after the man changed the settings to sell to Germany (was a UK only sale until I asked), it still wasn't working. Eventually he got it working and I bought the detector but was sweating for the 1/2 day it took. Just checked the other auction. It sold for 805 Pounds. So, I spent 45 Pounds more (around 60 Euro) for a fully warrantied E-Trac! Well, I hope it arrives ok and all, but the man sells many detectors and such, so I think it will be ok.

Enjoy the Winter! I still have a little time it looks like. The E-Trac should be here by Thursday, so hopefully I can take it out Friday.

Albert

RaZR
12-10-2011, 06:35 PM
All i can tell you is that i have hit the old fair grounds in my town and some old parks in nearby towns that i know have been hit for years and i'm pulling silver out of them. Since i got mine in August i have found 32 silver coins with it. And alot of other coins i didn't find where my other detectors had been. I think you will like it very much. And don't forget to check out the settings that Angel has posted on the forum. They work well for me! :perfect10:

earthmansurfer
12-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks RaZR and I definitely believe you with the E-Trac and Silver. I think on high conductors it probably will surpass my V3i just a little. The finds don't lie. I see the big advantage again, in those places where the ground maybe changes a bit and I don't notice it or don't have my detector properly set up or ground balanced. e.g. - If I ground balance my detector 3 minutes too late cause of the ground changing, woops. Though that doesn't happen in most places. There is something to be said for automation and a bit more simplicity.

I'm really excited to run the E-Trac and in particular learn it's sounds. I am just starting to wrap my head around the sounds in the videos. Very hard change there, at least initially.

Where are Angels settings? I see his thread on on two tone ferrous and multi tone below. I'll start off running two tone where there isn't trash. I'll run multitone at parks and such.

Thx again,
Albert

CyberSage
12-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Here is Angels Settings...

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=803.0

He uses an Andy Sabisch modified mask pattern. I attached the pattern file to this post. You will need to unzip it before using it with the E-Trac Exchange.

I loaded both the pattern, and Angels mode settings. I did adjust volume for my headphones, as the volume knob is busted on my Grey Ghost Originals.

earthmansurfer
12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks Jack. I have Grey Ghost originals! I've had them since my first detector - Nautilus IIB! LOL

Take care,
Albert

ps - The knobs still work on mine but I have to say it's a pain that they move sometimes when I take them off my head to dig a target or put them on again.