PDA

View Full Version : mercfest + beautiful SLQ

randy
12-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Tuesday's hunt was cut short by rain and it rained all day Wed. >:\ I was almost ready to call it a season, but the last target on Tue before the rain hit was a silver, so on Thu I had to go back to that site, which produced 2 multi silver days in the 2 days I hit it. Who wouldn't go back? Unfortunately, there was standing water everywhere >{ >{

Decided to hit a backup site in the area which had potential, but one that I'd never hit before, but there was standing water everywhere there as well. >{ >{ Since I'd never been there, I decided to at least do some soundings in the not so wet areas to see if the site had potential, and it did; I was hitting deep wheaties :happydance01: which is always a good sign, but the mud was brutal. It was also brutally cold and windy, but since I had a nice silver streak going, I decided to tough it out and try to get one shiny out of the site to keep the streak alive, and eventually pulled a merc out of the mud happydance02 Decided to call it a site for the day, too much mud for me, and the best part of the site was totally in standing water. Also, the site has had alot of regrading >:# >:# >:# -- I think its a 5 silver site (maybe a 20 spot without all the regrading >:# >:# >:#), we'll see some other time.

Since I had my streak alive and a couple of hours to kill, I decided to hit a very old site that is terribly stingy. I've hit it 4 times before, and have only one merc and a handful of wheaties to show for it, but I've gotten better as a detectorist since then, and this was the perfect experiment. The site still rang stingy, but I was able to squeeze two mercs out of it this time happydance02, so that definitely shows some improvement. Both were very tough in trash, you can see the one was affected -- there are iron stains on it, and I pulled a large ferrous target out of the hole first. These are the pulls where I feel the E-Trac is magic :smitten: :smitten: (And I'm using the stock coil, can't wait to see if Santa brings me a smaller coil for these situations, but the stock coil is amazing, IMHO)

So, that was Thu, 2 sites and 3 mercs, and, IMHO, the more interesting story.

Fri was back to the more promising site from Mon, Tue, and the standing water was gone <:, and I managed to knock down an 8 spot; 7 mercs and a nice SLQ <: <: <:. The ground was a dream, wet but not too wet, digging was like a chainsaw thru warm butter. I felt like I was cutting birthday cake. This brings my current silver streak to 50 hunting days.

The problem with this site is that there is alot of ferrous, and you really have to have your listening ears on. No less than 5 silvers had ferrous in the same hole, and I also dug my share of ferrous falses. Also dug 16 wheaties, which is slightly better than my career 2.5:1 ratio.

Well, I'm very lucky I was able to still hunt while some of the country is freezing now. We're getting it this weekend. HH everyone, and thanks for looking.

Tony Two-Cent
12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
More amazing finds for you, Randy! That SLQ truly is beautiful! :smitten:

You are definitely getting exceptional results with your E-Trac, it's obvious that you have fine-tuned your skills and it is really paying off. :yes:

starman2
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
WoW!! What did you say the address of this place was?? LOL!

Epi-hunter
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Wow Randy, you never cease to amaze! :happydance01: What a hunt... and that is a beautiful SLQ! If it's your last hunt this season, way to go out with style! |:cheering:

jkress
12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Ah man... my season ended a few days ago and I was at peace with it. Now after viewing your post, I want to get out and dig again. :crying02:
Seeing all this beautiful silver has me itching. It's going to be a long winter. crying01

You have another great handful of the shiny ones here. :smitten: What an incredible season Randy. |:confused:)

CODY
12-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Most excellent finds. And that SLQ is beautiful. Congrats. HH

Ill Digger
12-10-2011, 01:44 AM
Merfest?.....I should say so!! :shocked04: Wow Randy! :shocked04:stretcher:
Your on a roll!! And that SLQ is a beauty!! Lottsa detail left on her! thumbsup01 :drool:
Keep goin' till it's frozen solid thumbsup01 lol You might even hit 500 before 2012 rolls around!! :poke: :dontknow: lol
Outstanding Randy! |:confused:)
Congrats!! :grin:

fsa46
12-10-2011, 06:01 AM
That's what I call FUN, Randy....great hunt. :cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
12-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Wow what a great hunt. That SLQ is a beauty.

Cheap Thrills
12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
:shocked03:All those beautiful Mercs and that gorgeous SLQ !!! Way to go Randy !!! :perfect10:

del
12-11-2011, 01:29 PM
:wow: very sharpe looking Standing Liberty :smitten: :smitten: Randy , great totals . |:confused:) |:confused:)

aloldstuff
12-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Randy, some nice hunting, that SLQ is great looking. Another huge amount of silver taken from the ground. HUGE congrats and I hope that the weather holds out for you.

Bell-Two
12-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Wow what a bunch of good hunts there, with great results, the SLQ is awesome!