PDA

View Full Version : snowy cold day cellar hole hunting with sniffy

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 08:00 PM
sniffy came down and i took him to a couple of my sites down here.
he got a nice little plain shoe buckle frame.it's the tiniest shoe buckle i ever seen :shocked04: must have been off a little boys boot.
no coins today today but dug some decent sounding targets.
of course a oxknob and the MOTHER of all oxknobs later in the day. :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: read half a dollar on sniffy's machine.he said dave dig this and if it's a coin we cut it in half lol so i dug and it turned out to be a huge oxen horn tip guard :shocked04: he said its yours dave! what a guy :grin:
look at the size of the grub :shocked04: that popped out while digging the toe tap piece!
i dug a kinda neat heart locket type thingy...how fitting being valentines day tomorrow :huh:
a brass ring with a set screw to open the ring?could this be a ring that went through a bulls nose perhaps?
and one of my last targets was a big blob of lead..so i thought. almost tossed it before i soaked my finds.
glad i didn't!!!!! :shocked04: turns out its a lead eagle head.back end is hollow and seems to still have wood inside.a small hole on the top to drive a nail through into wood. any ideas guys? military ?? :usaflag: pole topper?
diggin was ok for the most part and just nice to get out.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 08:03 PM
last pics

coinnut
02-13-2010, 08:09 PM
That's some different stuff for sure. :yes: Some neat relics. No coins this time but I'm sure they are there somewhere's. It did feel good to go out and detect thumbsup01 Ground was frozen up against the rocks and on any dirt roads. A good day's hunt Dave. How'd that grub taste?? lol Fried or sushi style rofl There are Indians and Flying Eagles there, I can smell them :crazy:

del
02-13-2010, 08:22 PM
that big brass thing is the top end part of an ox or draft horse harness called a hames , did ya check the hole real good for the gemstone that went into that locket :huh: . alot of targets Dave looks like a good place to detect again . thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 08:28 PM
that big brass thing is the top end part of an ox or draft horse harness called a hames , did ya check the hole real good for the gemstone that went into that locket :huh: . alot of targets Dave looks like a good place to detect again . thumbsup01

cool dan thanks for the info on the hames. any info on that lead eagle head? any ideas? yeah this was one of the upper level sites. never spent much time there in the past.you guys never been to this site.its way down to the left when we went straight to the site where ya dug your lone 1817 that day with me and George in below zero artic weather and i was sick :crazy:
i did poke around a little for the stone.had to be a cheap stone i would imagine? no prongs probably just glued in that spot.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 08:32 PM
That's some different stuff for sure. :yes: Some neat relics. No coins this time but I'm sure they are there somewhere's. It did feel good to go out and detect thumbsup01 Ground was frozen up against the rocks and on any dirt roads. A good day's hunt Dave. How'd that grub taste?? lol Fried or sushi style rofl There are Indians and Flying Eagles there, I can smell them :crazy:

lol george i didn't have the heart to eat the poor thing. i put him back in his hibernation hole and covered him back up thumbsup01

coinnut
02-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey Dave, that Wells and Provost thing is a lid for a early tin can used for canning. I'm working on finding out if I can post the link to the web site, since it is selling something on that site and I'm not sure if I can link it yet. There are two different pieces for the can, you have one of them.... now go out and get the second half! :poke: But if you really can't wait, I'll PM ya lol

Hey, I found a way to do it legally lol Here it is!

del
02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Dave , i'm not sure on the lead eagle . eagles were a very popular design in the federal era (late 1780's to about the 1820's ) maybe a furniture decoration because its made of lead and was probably painted . i'd say military if it was brass or copper but thats just the impression i get from it. reguardless hold onto it maybe down the road you'll get a positive id on it . real good relic day man ,congrats.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Dave , i'm not sure on the lead eagle . eagles were a very popular design in the federal era (late 1780's to about the 1820's ) maybe a furniture decoration because its made of lead and was probably painted . i'd say military if it was brass or copper but thats just the impression i get from it. reguardless hold onto it maybe down the road you'll get a positive id on it . real good relic day man ,congrats.

thanks dan! i beleive i still see traces of red paint in the tongue area of the mouth.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey Dave, that Wells and Provost thing is a lid for a early tin can used for canning. I'm working on finding out if I can post the link to the web site, since it is selling something on that site and I'm not sure if I can link it yet. There are two different pieces for the can, you have one of them.... now go out and get the second half! :poke: But if you really can't wait, I'll PM ya lol

Hey, I found a way to do it legally lol Here it is!

pretty neat George thanks! were these before mason jars? wish the can portion was around. woulda been cool complete!
thanks for doing the research man! thumbsup01
here's another link i found
http://www.fokh.org/19th%20Century%20Food%20Preservation.htm

John M
02-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Looks like a decent relic day.Can you imagine eating with that rusted up two tine fork?I'd be happy with the take for the day.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Dan,
Rip on TQ said he dug a eagle head just like mine.
here's what he said about it.below

Very cool finds Dave,I have the same eagle head.I almost threw mine away when I found it as well ! I was told that it's an ornament from the splash guard on a carrige or sleigh.
I used to have more info on carrige ornaments....but now I cant find anything. Late 1700's to mid 1800's sounds about right though.I always double cheak my junk before dumping it ever since I found my Eagle head.

coinnut
02-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I was told that it's an ornament from the splash guard on a carrige or sleigh.

Well, I would have never guess that lol Cool find! :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, I would have never guess that lol Cool find! :yes:

I wrote an e-mail to a site who deals with antique sleighs and this was her response. Imagine the nerve of her to doubt my knowledge in the science of metallurgy ? :huh: :beatdown: rofl just kiddin..
here is her response below......

Hello, Dave,

Your friends are right -- it is a piece off the front of an old sleigh.
It could date anywhere from the 1800s through modern times. I seriously
doubt that it is lead -- these decorations have to have some structural
strength. The ones I have seen are brass or bronze. Can't say much more
about it than this, however.

Regards,
DeeAnna Weed

tanacat
02-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Wow -those are some neat finds! So I guess you're saying you know for sure it's lead?

John M
02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Dave,

I found these brass Eagle heads that look quite similar to your design and they are for sleigh decoration.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Dave,

I found these brass Eagle heads that look quite similar to your design and they are for sleigh decoration.

thanks John! that's what they are! wish mine looked that good.
are those reproductions? or originals?

sniffy
02-15-2010, 05:49 PM
man, good thing you didnt' throw away that lump o' lead

John M
02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
I do believe they are after market parts.They weren't that much for the pair.