PDA

View Full Version : The OLE Cellar Hole Still Produces!

sniffy
12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Today I had a 5 hours to burn so I decided to do a little detecting. I headed out to a place I dubbed the CAPPED BUST SITE Due to the fact that I found 2 capped bust dimes here. Several coppers and nice buttons have came from this site, HEAVYMETALNUT pulled a nice New Jersey here and a King George I have pulled a dozen or so different coppers here including a Liberty Cap, several Draped Busts, King Georges, and Matron heads. 5 early Scovills Marine buttons were also found here. Today I was reluctant to even attempt this site, I always feel that I may be wasting time and there's always a better site somewhere However, today I proved this site to be old and faithful. IN a local book, I discovered that this cluster of 3 cellar holes were established in the 1770's and died soon after in the late 1830's so any target will be very desireable...even old garbage is interesting. Today started off slow with only 2 buttons after 2 hours...one nice designed and a tombac.....feeling in the dumps, I decided to try out my EXCAVATING technique in an area that I found an 8 copper coin spill......and to my suprise after digging a 3 ft hole by maybe 5 ft or so...ALOT OF WORK....I spread the dirt out and scan the piles...to my suprise BANG BANG...QUARTER QUARTER...1830 MATRON HEAD!!! That makes 9 Copper spill in this little area! Nothin left in this area, so I decided to dig out the front of the cellar. A few more buttons, and look at the size of this MEGA CROTAL BELL! This bell managed to find a temporary resting place over 2 ft deep! Now it's one of my favorite relics! It was an awesome day, no ticks, nice weather and nice relics and copper! Thanks for lookin folks!

RaZR
12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Excellent matron head find. And that is one [size=24pt]BIGbell you found there. I got only one and that would make three of mine. rofl

Dig em all
12-10-2011, 03:39 PM
SWEET DIGS! |:cheering:

mike l
12-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Nice honey hole you got there, keep working it!

CODY
12-10-2011, 05:07 PM
:wow: Excellent finds. Love the bell. Congrats. HH

aloldstuff
12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Great finds, that crotal bell is HUGE. Congrats on a very productive hunt