PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Cellar Hole

mike l
12-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Steve found an old home site on historic aerials and we did an early morning hike through the woods to find it. Saw a bunch of trees that were different from the rest of the woods and came upon the cellar hole. :drool: The foundation is cinderblock so its not too old but it did have a cool field stone 2 level fireplace. I was thinking 1950's? Lots of old bottles and a Pyrex insulator, patent date 1936. No old silver found :-\, but we had a blast checking it out :peace:. Happy Hunting :beerbuddy:

OxShoeDrew
12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Your title to the thread is spot on. Very interesting. We have a 200 year old church (just slightly bigger than a large house) in town that has a cinderblock cellar. I asked the preacher how a 200 year old building could have that type of basement. He said that in the 1980s they actually raised the building and put in a new foundation.
If your fireplace was old I might suggest that the same thing happened at your site...but your chimney doesn't look super old.
Maybe it was built in the 1930s and burned down?

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-10-2011, 10:23 PM
was it a trashy site? looks like it is from all the junk near the chimney.cool galss thing!

mike l
12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
was it a trashy site? looks like it is from all the junk near the chimney.cool galss thing!

Very trashy site, iron everywhere.

del
12-11-2011, 11:23 AM
great looking area Mike although it looks a little hard to navigate ;) i bet theres more than a few coins laying around there . i hope you guys get another chance or two there .

Dan

Toadman
12-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Looks like a real fun place... |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

aloldstuff
12-12-2011, 12:56 PM
It's all about as you stated We had a blast checking it out Interesting looking site so I quess ya gotta go back.