PDA

View Full Version : Okay Illdigger, My first cornfield, got 4 coins and the newest is 1855!!

Full Metal Digger
12-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey Diggers!

What a day! I hunted my first cornfield and had one of my best days ever. There is an old farmhouse that dates back to at least 1850. I wasn't sure where to start so I just walked out into the middle of the field and started swinging. I got my first coin signal after about 15 minutes. My e-trac was showing a 12-40 at 2 inches deep. The ground was frozen so it took a bit of work with the shovel to get a plug up. I saw a tiny silver disc and thought it was one of those 3-cent silver coins. Once my eyes focused, I could see it was a seated liberty half dime, 1839!!! My oldest coin ever.

About 15 or 20 minutes later, I got a super loud 12-47 to 12-50. I looked at the ground and could see half of a large cent sticking straight up out of the ground! The fertilizers the farmers use is very hard on the coppers and this coin is too far toasted to get a date.

About an hour later, I got a signal at about 2 inches that sounded just like a clad quarter. I dug it up and was real happy to see another large cent! This one was in better shape and turned out to be 1855. My newest coin of the day. Not 2 minutes later, I got a hit that sounded just like a wheat penny. I flipped the plug and could see a silver rim! It was another seated half dime, this time an 1838-O and my new oldest coin ever. I was thinking this might be a key date and when I got home I looked it up and they only minted 70,000 of them! It lists for $110 in the lowest condition. Okay, the coin was holed but who cares! I got a real piece of history here.

What I liked about hunting the cornfield: No bottlecaps, pulltabs, or foil. In fact almost no signals. I got a bit muddy and my shoes were gettting taller with each step but so what. I was digging pre-civil war coins!

What I disliked about hunting cornfield: nothing.

Today's hunt took my large cent count to 4 for the year and my silver count to 118.

I will be posting a video later tonight. Here's some pics. Thanks for looking. Best wishes to all and happy hunting! Dave.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/best%20finds/IMG_0266_1-1.jpg
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0263-1.jpg
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/daddydigger1/IMG_0278.jpg

aloldstuff
12-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey DD, betcha your gonna hit that field some more. Those are some great finds and what a huge day, the oldest coin 1855. I watch alot of your videos so I am waiting for this one. Congrats on a great day of recovering history.

Ill Digger
12-11-2011, 08:56 PM
lol Nice title! :peace: :clapping: |:confused:)

Man Dave!! I thought we talked about this.... :dontknow:.....you were suppose to put that E-Trac in the closet till after the first :dontknow: :hairpulling: lol
And whats up with you and the half dimes? :envious: Mr. Half Dime :poke: lol
Just messin' with ya lol That's a unbelievable hunt!! |:confused:) :envious:
I knew after seeing I missed your call today, I told Theola and Mike (Silver Star), Dave must've found something good!
Thats almost a understatement :yes: lol
Just finding one half dimes would've made for a memorable hunt! Let alone 2 :shocked04: plus two LC's ! :shocked04: Wow!
Just finding one of those coins in Illinois is an accomplishment in it's self. :yes: thumbsup01
But to pull all four in one hunt? :shocked01: ......Well what can I say? Thats gonna be a hard one to top! :yes:
Congrats brother! :grin: :beerbuddy:
I'm truly happy for ya! :yes: :clapping:.....................................but :envious: lol

PL8MAN
12-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Sweet finds :perfect10:

milco
12-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I'd say you found yourself a honey hole! Four oldies from a field is very good! WTG!!

Spike
12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
You start hunting fields and you will be hooked most times all you have to deal with is iron thumbsup01 Very nice hunt two half dimes in one hunt :shocked03: :envious:

Cheap Thrills
12-11-2011, 10:12 PM
AWESOME Daddy D !! Nothing corny about those finds . :perfect10:

Bell-Two
12-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Fantastic Dave what a super day! What made you decide to do that cornfield? Did you determine if there was a house site there?

Tony Two-Cent
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Spectacular finds, Dave! It looks like you are recuperating well from your surgery! Those seated half dimes probably made you feel a lot better! thumbsup01

Those are some really old coins. Your research paid off well, my friend. Were you hunting in Two-Tone Ferrous? It seems to be the method of choice for hunting in farm fields were there is very little conductive trash.

Congrats on the terrific finds! That was a magnificent hunt! |:confused:)

silversearcher
12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
|:confused:) |:confused:) JUST :wow: :omg: :perfect10:
CONGRATS <: :happydance01:
AWESOME HUNT
Imagine if you started at the beginning. :thinkingabout:

CODY
12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
:perfect10: Great finds, Congrats.

pulltabsteve
12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Awesome digs DD!!! :perfect10:

DennisH
12-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Now taht is a SUPER DUPER hunt. Wtg and you will hunt it again I bet.

RobW
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Awsome :clapping:

There are more there :yes:

Fire Fighter 43
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Congrats on the great hunt, two seated in one hunt is fantastic. I to love hunting the. Fields, good luck on your return trips.

two_bit_digger
12-16-2011, 05:56 PM
two half dimes..:shocked03:...holy cr@p. and you hate ME for finding some nice silver?? :twirlingeyes: rofl

congrats!!!!!! :perfect10:

milco
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I just watched your video and the excitement is just awesome....great video! Make sure you keep going back again and again to that field. There will no doubt be more there every year as the field gets worked over, congrats again!

Full Metal Digger
12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Spectacular finds, Dave! It looks like you are recuperating well from your surgery! Those seated half dimes probably made you feel a lot better! thumbsup01

Those are some really old coins. Your research paid off well, my friend. Were you hunting in Two-Tone Ferrous? It seems to be the method of choice for hunting in farm fields were there is very little conductive trash.

Congrats on the terrific finds! That was a magnificent hunt! |:confused:)

Thanks Tony. I did not hunt in TTF. There was almost no iron debris. Just the occasional nail or bolt. The original house it still standing and I was a couple hundred feet away in the field. In 3 hours of hunting, I probably only had 10 signals (good and bad).

serega
12-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi friend :clapping:. This is Serge I))) How's Rudy? Not sick? |:cheering:
Сool coins :perfect10:

Full Metal Digger
12-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi friend :clapping:. This is Serge I))) How's Rudy? Not sick? |:cheering:
Сool coins :perfect10:

Hi Serge! Good to hear from you. I hope all is well and you are finding lots of treasure! Dave.