PDA

View Full Version : Found an old pair of Binoculars- any idea how old?

tanacat
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been looking at a whole lot of binoculars online and can't find these anywhere... anybody else ever found any like these? I found them about 10 deep, next to an old cabin built in 1780. They were face down flat & I almost gave up because I thought they were sawed off metal fence posts!

I'm looking forward to going back there to hunt (with a better detector). I found 9 quarters all from late 60's- bummer! :crying02: No silver for me yet!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/binoculars.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/bin2.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/bin3.jpg

coinnut
02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Not that I have a clue on how old they are lol but..... they scream 1860-1870's to me. But that's just a wild guess. Any name, initials, or stampings of any kind:huh: That would give us a starting point. Look closely for any marks, since there is a fair amount of corrosion. I would have left them in the ground thinking they were just junk metal. Good save thumbsup01

yazoo
02-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I would say around WW1 or WW2 era. I googled and found several similar.But most has brass trim. Yazoo

coinnut
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I would say around WW1 or WW2 era. I googled and found several similar.But most has brass trim. Yazoo

I like my answer better lol But yours is more realistic :yes:. Great research Yazoo thumbsup01 I've never heard of anyone finding binoculars before :confused:

del
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
they remind me of the cheapy cast metal kind that us kids back in the 60's or early 70's use to play with .but thats just the impression i get from them .

Tancat did the ground area around the cabin site seem disturbed or like it was moved around some and how deep were the quarters :huh:

tanacat
02-15-2010, 05:48 PM
they remind me of the cheapy cast metal kind that us kids back in the 60's or early 70's use to play with .but thats just the impression i get from them .

Tancat did the ground area around the cabin site seem disturbed or like it was moved around some and how deep were the quarters :huh:
[QUOTE]

Well, I found the binoculars pretty close to a small garden plot... a couple feet from edge, where it was last tilled. The fact that they were so deep made me think they were really old, but yrs ago they could've been plowed/tilled under deeper. Btw, the cabin has been restored & is occupied.

Oh, the binoculars are VERY heavy if that makes a difference. Cheapy cast metal- would it be heavy? :confused: The quarters were sprinkled all over the back yard each one about 2 or 3 inches deep.

[quote=yazoo;9821]

thanks for looking Yazoo, will you share that link? I couldn't find any remotely similiar -looked at hundreds of old binoculars!

Not that I have a clue on how old they are lol but..... they scream 1860-1870's to me. But that's just a wild guess. Any name, initials, or stampings of any kind:huh: That would give us a starting point. Look closely for any marks, since there is a fair amount of corrosion. I would have left them in the ground thinking they were just junk metal. Good save thumbsup01
I like that wild guess best Coinnut- the older the better! Nope except where a liittle plate might have said brand and magnification fell off,there's a spot that looks where it might've been.

I think it'd make a good short story- with a Twilight Zone feel to it, like you look through them and get a flashback to the past from the owners perspective... newer and better ideas come, the more I look through them lol .

coinnut
02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I think it'd make a good short story- with a Twilight Zone feel to it, like you look through them and get a flashback to the past from the owners perspective... newer and better ideas come, the more I look through them lol .

Hey, can you see where all the large coppers are hiding lol Umm.... don't share that info with Del will ya? :huh: Just e mail me the locations of them coppers and see what else you can see in them. :grin:

yazoo
02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry didnt write it down, but I googled it.Also several on Ebay. Yazoo

tanacat
02-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Sorry didnt write it down, but I googled it.Also several on Ebay. Yazoo

I checked EBay I think these are pretty close... WWII military

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290401097698&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trks id%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D290401097698%26_saca t%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Hey, can you see where all the large coppers are hiding lol Umm.... don't share that info with Del will ya? :huh: Just e mail me the locations of them coppers and see what else you can see in them. :grin:

rofl good one

kurtnks
02-15-2010, 10:49 PM
May not want to see everthing through them :embarrassed: may have been a peepin tom rofl Cool find non the less thumbsup01

tanacat
02-15-2010, 10:52 PM
May not want to see everthing through them :embarrassed: may have been a peepin tom rofl Cool find non the less thumbsup01

hahaha so true... lol