PDA

View Full Version : warm weather allows me some more silvers

randy
12-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I figured last Friday was the end of my season, and I wasn't able to hunt this past weekend due to family and work obligations, but the week started out warm, and who am I to turn down the chance to hunt a bit more, especially when a recent site has been more than generous? :crazy:

The site had a couple of promising sections left, and a whole lot of nothing left, so Mon AM I proceeded to start gridding the most promising section, and was fortunate to score 5 silvers and a pair of buffs :happydance01:, including a walker that looks like it just fell off the mint truck :smitten: :smitten:. Most of the coins were hard, but this walker was a slam dunk. Better to be lucky than good. The walker did ring a bit weird, like a silver Q, but of course you dig. Not sure why it rang low, and I don't really care.

There was a bit more of the grid to go, so Tue I expanded in the promising direction, and scored 4 more silvers, as well a a couple more buffs happydance02 But as the day wore on, it seemed clear to me the site was petering, so it was time to farewell, where we plan a farewell hunt with lunch and beers at a local restaurant, with a day of detecting before and after (and I assure you, its more more fun detecting after the beers lol, everything sounds like silver lol).

So, Wed, it gets a little weird;, I figured the site had about a day and quarters worth of promising area left to detect (I certainly wasn't gonna spend my whole life detecting the whole lot of nothing sections in the cold), so Wed I decide to work out the quarter section, which I thought was extremely promising, and then hit other sites in the area, leaving one days worth of site for farewell (I always plan it this way, I know, weird). Not only was I skunked in the quarter section >{ , I was skunked at the two other sites I had planned for that day as well >{ >{ And so it goes. My silver streak ends at 52 hunts. :crying02: :crying02: Farewell indeed.

Thu was farewell day, and it was supposed to rain in the afternoon, but at least it was warm. Farewell day is tough, cause its when you think the site is pretty much played, but you want to squeeze another silver or two out of it anyway. After about 90 minutes I finally nailed a merc, :happydance01:, and then proceeded into the whole lot of nothing zone for another hour before heading off to lunch. After lunch I'm fighting the off and on rain (covering the E-Trac with a towel and working totally on tone), and the boredom of a whole lot of nothing, but eventually score another merc. Then I score 3 silver quarters in a row, and a few more mercs to round out the afternoon. <: Unreal -- scoring an 8 spot in a zone that I thought had little potential. This is where slavish adherence to tradition payed off -- I always hunt the site to the end of the day on farewell day, even if I think there is little potential. It also tells me my research and site reading skills are weaker than I thought they were.

So Fri, rather than hit a new site, its back to see if the whole lot of nothing section has more to give, and it doesn't seem like it does -- 3 hours of hunting net only 2 coins, a pair of green wheaties >:# But this site never plays to expectations, and it rewards the patient, so I stick it out, and finally hit a slam dunk merc. <: After 3 hours of nothing, it was sweet. Shortly thereafter, hit a deep conductive, either wheatie or thin dime, and am fortunate its the latter :happydance01: Then out of the blue soon hit a barber Q. happydance02 Go figure. 3 hours of nothing, then 3 silvers in a half hour. Two more hours of nothing, then 2 more quick mercs. <: Its getting late, and I'm getting cold, but decide one more rank up and down a very long grid before calling it a day, and hit a CO 22 on the E-Trac, which I figure is a fatty or flying eagle, and out pops up something I have no idea what it is, figure its a foreign clad, and throw it in the clad pouch -- turns out later its a war nickel -- these always ring CO 15 or 16 for me; but this one is really shiny, I figure it has more silver in it than it should, thus causing the higher ring -- lesson learned. CO 22 for a warnik, give me a break. And that's the way it airtests as well. Then not 10 feet from the end of my grid, and the end of my day, get a merc signal in standing water, and pull it out of the mud for a 7 spot on the day.

Total of 24 silvers over the 5 days of hunting. Its been a very sweet site, but now it seems pretty much played. Thanks for reading (assuming anyone did lol) and looking, and have a nice holiday everyone. I hope there is a little bit of season left for everyone -- bring on global warming.

milco
12-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Randy that's a whole lot of silver, way to keep working that spot! A great way to end the season if you don't get back out again!

jkress
12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
WLH... <: <: <:
Way to take advantage of the warm weather. Going for 500 this year? :->
Congratulations on another multi-silver gathering. :)

CODY
12-17-2011, 03:59 PM
:wow: :wow: :wow: WTG thumbsup01 I can't think of anything to say! Congrats! :perfect10: Merry Christmas and HH

randy
12-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Going for 500 this year? :->

Yes I'd like to, but with family and holidays and the unpredictable weather, and no go to spot at present, we'll see. I was able to get out today, tho, and inch a bit closer.

If I make it, over time I'm gonna take the family on a restaurant tour of all the sites to celebrate, and for putting up with muddy shoes, muddy floors, muddy sinks. Of course, we'll do that even if I don't make it, to celebrate a fun and memorable season. Just like I celebrate my good sites, its just fun for us to do that sort of thing.

Fire Fighter 43
12-18-2011, 08:32 AM
WTG!!! that is nice pile of silver.

aloldstuff
12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Randy, once again you have shown me that there is still alot, and I mean alot of silver left out there. Huge congrats on your latest pile and do you think you are going to reach #500.

Ill Digger
12-19-2011, 12:51 AM
.....(I always plan it this way, I know, weird).....

...Thanks for reading (assuming anyone did lol) and looking,...
:huh: What? .... lol Man.... your weird! rofl
But if thats what it takes....sign me up! :yes: thumbsup01 :clapping: lol
Holy cow Randy!! And thats from a whole lotta nothin' area? :shocked01: Wow! :envious:
Well here's to farewell days! :beerbuddy: <:
Outstanding Randy! |:confused:)
Congrats!! :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
12-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Randy, once again you've knocked it out of the park! Barbers, Walkers, Buffalos, and my favorite... a Standing Liberty Quarter! :smitten:

Thanks for the inspiration you give to all of us! thumbsup01

z118
12-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Just plain mind blowing. When I think about how happy I was this weekend to find a single merc... I think finds like this would overload my brain! Congrats.

Cheap Thrills
12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
:omg: :wow: :perfect10: |:confused:) :clapping: !!!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-08-2012, 01:33 AM
can't complain with a hunt like that! nice! |:cheering:

JTGOLD
01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
very nice bunch of silver and finds,wtg.