PDA

View Full Version : Little tiny shoe buckle.

sniffy
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Heavymetalnut (dave) brought me to a couple sites that he knows of. ALOT of targets, but the deep snow probally affected alot of them. The first site I dug a flat button (the one on the left, common wreath style) and a 1926 wheatie (not pictured). And this suspender clip. The second site seemed to be alot earlier of a homestead, ALOT of targets here as well...BUT DEEP SNOW!....By now i'm getting a bit frustrated with my DFX, Im having a bit of difficulty getting used to it. Pinpointing with it is alot different than what im used to. About an HR into the second site I dig the smallest little shoe buckle Ive ever seen. Possibly a childs buckle I imagine. That buckle made my day. Today I went to a local site just down the road, I spent a couple hrs and dug twice. My first target was this gilted button, I mangled it. The ground here is like concrete. I spent every bit of 30 minutes digging 6 inches. And in the process I nicked the button and broke off the shank (which was completely upright). I was scared for a while, I thought I damaged a 1812 button, but after cleaning it ends up being another common gilt. Today I also dug a 1890 IH (center of the shoebuckle) Another victim. I badly nicked the reverse of this coin. Again, the digging at THIS site is next to impossible. All in all I had a good couple of hunts. Also not pictured is the VERY MANY ox shoes I constantly dig, nails, and scrap peices of trash.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
cool digs! i love that tiny shoe buckle! it's cute! :yes:
hopefully we can get out this weekend again. thumbsup01

coinnut
02-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Ouch...stop the bleeding on that Indian head lol It stinks when you gouge a coin, trust me I know. I never really got over scratching that 1894 Barber quarter. Got her right on the cheek :yes: Some areas are really starting to freeze over now. It's the melting and re-freezing that kills you. Some good relics even though the digging was murder :rolleyes: You have to get used to the DFX, because it has some of the most dead on pinpointing on the planet. I'd say you had a pretty good day considering the weather.

tanacat
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
I never really got over scratching that 1894 Barber quarter. Got her right on the cheek :yes:

What a bummer Coinnut! :ticked: crying01 :bangahead01: Ouch- what were you digging with?

So maybe I should keep using my favorite plastic shovel/trowel? I just bought a heavy duty metal, very sharp tipped knife-like shovel (I'm rambling :) ) at my local White's dealer/coin shop... I love using plastic because I don't accidentally pick up the metal shovels when scooping and swiping my soil.

coinnut
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
What a bummer Coinnut! :ticked: crying01 :bangahead01: Ouch- what were you digging with?

So maybe I should keep using my favorite plastic shovel/trowel? I just bought a heavy duty metal, very sharp tipped knife-like shovel (I'm rambling :) ) at my local White's dealer/coin shop... I love using plastic because I don't accidentally pick up the metal shovels when scooping and swiping my soil.

You had to open old wounds didn't ya rofl I was digging with my usual monster Lesche shovel, but it was my inexperience with the pinpointing on the E Trac that did me in. Plus the fact that it was a very trashy area and there were 3 quarters in the same hole (spread out a bit). It was about 2-3 down and I pinpointed (now I'm rambling lol) the first quarter and hit the Barber. It was a nice clean sucker punch to the jaw. :crying02:

John M
02-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Nice finds Sniffy.The pin pointing you will get better at and when you do the DFX is pretty much right on.Have you tried to use VCO for pin pointing?I use it all the time on my XLT and the sound just helps me to zero in quicker,it is a preference thing.Keep the frustration to a minimum if you can because there is a bunch to learn.Reread the manual a couple times and just try to learn one thing at a time.......you have to crawl before you can run.

sniffy
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Ouch...stop the bleeding on that Indian head lol It stinks when you gouge a coin, trust me I know. I never really got over scratching that 1894 Barber quarter. Got her right on the cheek :yes: Some areas are really starting to freeze over now. It's the melting and re-freezing that kills you. Some good relics even though the digging was murder :rolleyes: You have to get used to the DFX, because it has some of the most dead on pinpointing on the planet. I'd say you had a pretty good day considering the weather.
Sorry to hear about your Barber, I've gouged a decent 1818 Large Cent right on the cheek. Really bummed me out. I can tell the DFX is awesome, Im just not used to using such a high tech detector. I was used to using the simple Prizm 3, and stepping so far up has been a challenge. I'll get used to it and start plucking coppers in no time. I can't wait to find out how it reacts to a deep copper.

tanacat
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I was used to using the simple Prizm 3, and stepping so far up has been a challenge. I'll get used to it and start plucking coppers in no time. I can't wait to find out how it reacts to a deep copper.

I'm rather attached to my Prism IV... maybe I'll just get a better coil and/or move up to Prism 6T... So you glad you got DFX all in all? I love the weight of Prismz....

del
02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
AAAHHHH :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher: gouged coins and relics , sacrilege !!! sorry Jesse seeing that gives me horrible chills . no.1 ya gotta use the V.C.O. on that dfx ( the louder your target sounds the more your right over it) and no.2 this is the really important one &quot:grin:IG BIGGER HOLES lol ;) :poke: and you shouldn't scratch , gouge another item again . hey ya have any questions don't hesitate to ask man.

as far as the finds very sweet little buckle and button , clip .

sniffy
02-15-2010, 10:00 PM
AAAHHHH :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher: gouged coins and relics , sacrilege !!! sorry Jesse seeing that gives me horrible chills . no.1 ya gotta use the V.C.O. on that dfx ( the louder your target sounds the more your right over it) and no.2 this is the really important one &quot:grin:IG BIGGER HOLES lol ;) :poke: and you shouldn't scratch , gouge another item again . hey ya have any questions don't hesitate to ask man.

as far as the finds very sweet little buckle and button , clip .
I know I know, I normally never hit my targets.....but this ground was so rock hard I litterally had to chop with a hammer to get down a few inches, then with my digger I tried to pop chunks out, thats how I ended up scratching both items. I'm just glad it was only a common IH and a half decent button. I lucked out.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
dan or george you ever find one that small? off little boys boot? :confused:

del
02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
dan or george you ever find one that small? off little boys boot? :confused:

ya i have a couple here's one thats silver tinned with shell motifs on it .

KirkPA
02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
It actually looks like a knee buckle. They are usually smaller in size. Sweet dig!

Kirk

del
02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Kirk very well could be right , knee or breeches buckles are of the smaller sort and even thought the pin that holds the chape and tongue usually run in the middle of the frame (the long ways ) they can and sometimes do go across the width ( short way across the middle )and unless you have the inside parts you can never be possitive of which ya found , good job pointing that out Kirk. thumbsup01

sniffy
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Kirk very well could be right , knee or breeches buckles are of the smaller sort and even thought the pin that holds the chape and tongue usually run in the middle of the frame (the long ways ) they can and sometimes do go across the width ( short way across the middle )and unless you have the inside parts you can never be possitive of which ya found , good job pointing that out Kirk. thumbsup01
I said the same thing when I found it KNEE BUCKLE! because of it's size. Dave insisted that it was a childs shoe buckle, so I went with what he said. I always thought the pin ran horizontal with the frame on a knee buckle. I guess it is hard to say without the other components.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I said the same thing when I found it KNEE BUCKLE! because of it's size. Dave insisted that it was a childs shoe buckle, so I went with what he said. I always thought the pin ran horizontal with the frame on a knee buckle. I guess it is hard to say without the other components.

i still say it's a little boys shoe buckle :ticked: :mad: :bangahead01: that's my story and i'm stickin to it! :ticked:
j/k rofl i guess one will never know :confused:

coinnut
02-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm leaning toward little kids shoe buckle, only because most of my knee buckles were narrower than that one. Plus kids gotta have shoes too lol But truely, we may never know. :confused: