PDA

View Full Version : Hunt 2.5 - Some Deeper targets, silver coin, silver rings and more

earthmansurfer
12-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I thought to post things here first, then the other forum ;-)

What can I say, wow, what a fun day - 5.5 hours. In two days with the E-Trac I have found my deepest finds, by far. I had like 4 targets at 7 today. My deepest target was a locket like thing at 9 or so. Had my best day for coins ever. Not including clad I had 26 coins from 1875 (Silver DMark) with most of them being from 1950 to 1990. Sorry, clad here to me is the Euro cent. Most of these coins were 4 - 5 or so deep and hit very well. Regarding digging really deep coins - I get the feeling when I dig soil that drains better and is more conductive to halos or the like, that I'll get even better depth as this place is muddy at times. The detector chose channel 9 btw.

I also found my first American coin ever! A 1995 Penny in Nürnberg Germany, LOL.

I ran a mixture of Auto and Manual. When things got really trashy I ran Auto. When Auto was around 25 or above I often ran manual at 30 with good results. The falses weren't a problem for me. A nice advantage to having used a T2 for years! I dug one piece of iron and was pretty sure it was iron but just wanted to check and then the silver ring thinking it might be iron as it was bouncy but mostly in the upper part of the screen. I was pretty shocked that it was a ring though. Definitely the best target I have dug with regards to breaking sound and TID. Forgot to check for iron in the whole after though.

I am really surprised by the weight of the E-Trac. I thought it would be more than my V3i but I weighed them both with batteries and the E-Trac was .8 pounds lighter. I hunted 5.5 hours and my back feels pretty good. I hunt with the coil just in front of my feet and it feels quite light there.

I found the VDI target accuracy to be absolutely excellent. Certain targets were a bit jumpy at times, but most of the targets had iron around. I am really hooked on the sounds now. I quite liked how silver rang out and for the last hour of my hunt I was just listening for that high tone and passing other coins up.

Thx for reading, now watch the video and check out the pics :cheering:,
EMS

edit - Video upload failed. That happens with Youtube when you cancel an upload (like I did) and then re-upload. I'll try it again later...

earthmansurfer
12-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Here is the working video:

Hunt 2.5 - Silver coin, Ring and some depth.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAv8wGGQb0M#)

randy
12-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Sweet hunt. That sweet sound of silver tone is addicting. Are you using deep on/fast off or a different combination? That's what I use mostly, and noticed TID could have a tendency to blend or add on deep targets in close trash. Wondering if you were seeing that? You still hear the silver tone when that happens, tho.

Fire Fighter 43
12-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Congrats on a successful hunt, you will be a pro with that Etrac in no time keep up the good work.

CyberSage
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Nice Silver Albert. You really sound like your having a lot of fun with the E-Trac. I tried to hunt yesterday, but my ground was frozen solid. It was sure nice seeing you cut those deep plugs in the video. :yes: Please share a picture of how you are mounting the camera to the E-Trac when you get to that point. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Jack

earthmansurfer
12-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey Guys,

First - I had a blast Jack. It was really fun. I actually love the sounds. When I would watch E-Trac videos I hated those sounds, didn't understand them, etc. By watching videos I actually started to understand them and then I caught on quick when it was in my hands. That said, sounds in normal can easily be missed compared to any other detector I have used - at least so far with my ears. It will get better. I'll post a pic of the video mount shortly... (It's the magic arm I showed you, it fits fine, albeit needs more clamp space.)

Randy - I was running deep on, fast on, trash high, ground difficult. I was reading Andy's book last night and he talked about fast on skewing the deeper ID's I believe. So, I didn't experience blending due to settings but perhaps it occurs with other settings (and to be honest I don't know if I'd notice it at this stage. What does it sound/look like? ) I'll watch out in general on the blending - that is very interesting and I haven't experienced it as such. On my other machine I hear iron and coins break through. (Watch my V3i and coins in iron to see what I mean.) But they are separate. I think the E-Trac's true combining of frequencies is somehow compensating to pick up targets in iron. It was superb there. There is a fair amount of iron where I hunt but the ground is mild outside of the iron mineralization that my V3i says is heavy. So, I am going to try switching to ground normal on a deep target and see how that works. I already played with fast off on a 7 target and it didn't make a difference that I could see. I'm open to suggestions guys!

Might get to video tomorrow if the snow isn't bad,
Albert

Ytcoinshooter
12-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Ever have the ambition to take some side by side readings with both the V & E? I sure would have liked to have seen it on that deep silver ring. To dig or not to dig? That is the question. I'd really like be tweaking the detectors, fun :beerbuddy:. Thanks, keep it coming.

earthmansurfer
12-21-2011, 03:09 AM
I really want to do a side by side for sure. I have some gold tees just for that purpose. I would film it of course. Now that I have found some deep stuff I am content to do some side by side testing. I figure I'll do one hour with the E-Trac with tees and then go over them with the V3i. Then I'll do the opposite.

The problem is is that I have a bike and have to carry both, which is doable thought. The bigger problem is it's DAMN cold right now! Not much time left in the season unfortunately.

Ytcoinshooter
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I was wondering if you biked your way around. I have loaded my detecting gear onto a motorcycle before, but your really getting some exercise. It's a hard to see the E-Trac screen in the video, probably because it's grey scale and small. The audio comes in well. I'm doing something I thought I'd never revisit because my past experience wasn't fun, but I now realize I wasn't patient and trying to be too competitive. I bought a Sovereign GT at a price too good to pass on and I got the 5 DD e2 excellerator in the deal. I'll learn the tones at the beach & open fields first. I've been depth testing it with the V in my back yard a little bit. My plan is to have different technology in two top units. The Sov will be a monster on the salt beach wet sand. Waiting on a back order for the 15x12 SEF coil. Got mislead KlyCo was told they were in stock when I ordered on 12/14, I won't have it for my day off tomorrow. I have never bought a detector from them just a couple of items i thought I'd receive fast, not so now. I support the independent dealers.
You really are doing us a service with your videos and it's entertaining - FAR better than a magazine in the bathroom :->
Thanks!

earthmansurfer
12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I should have said, that to watch the video, click on it to get it to open in YouTube. Then click on the 480 setting and make it full screen. You'll see the screen better then. I don't know why it defaults small and without a large viewing option? Yes, the audio of the E-Trac is mostly what I'm listening to. The detector responds quite slow. Like for example I hear a high tone and the screen is showing an ID for a mid VDI target. I have to slow things down and just learn the detector and how it operates so I don't miss anything.

But the E-Trac screen is a shortcoming. I love the detector but the screen is bad in outdoor viewing and the backlight in the daytime does nothing. The V3i excels there. I'd also like to see the next E-Trac have better buttons like the V3i, easy to press with gloves on. I'm not complaining though, it is doing extremely well on deep coins thus far.

I ordered an :loveit:6 SEF coil tonight. Probably won't get to use it much this year but I hear great things about so figure while I had a pay pal credit from selling stuff on Ebay, I'd pick it up.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the videos. It is both fun and cumbersome. The nice thing is that you not only have memories but you have study material for winter! Really, I save some bad targets too and then I'll look back at the screen and such.

EMS

DirtFisher
12-22-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm glad o see you're liking the E-Trac. I've had mine for only one week myself. I like it so much another on is coming this Friday. :grin: