PDA

View Full Version : First outing of 2010.............year of the 50's

leslie(nova scotia)
02-15-2010, 07:42 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....Saturday surfing and no water to be seen! This detecting forum, that detecting site with bouys still getting our a digging. Even Yulah's metal detecting vid on youtube.com could not shake the feeling of despair and jealousy of those in warmer climates. I had enough I tell you...enough and with the sun a beaming I grabbed one of my Freedom 3 Plus machines and sprinted out the door to a salt ridden Otto.

Knew that my only option was to dig a shore line below the high water line so to the Dingle this bouy did a go only to be greeted by a multitude of screaming rug rats, a horde of albino crows and ducks flying overhead along with mobile manure makers of every color, size and breed galloping all over the park.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/leslie19/P7080001.jpg
Undaunted I dodged freezbies,aerial duck droppings and land mines of fresh and not so fresh doggie dew to get to the shore. Made it unscathed swinging the Garrett before me hoping that no bell tone was heard before I reached shore. two swings later on the shore my first heavenly bell tone purring from the Garrett which resulted in a dog tag nevertheless. I immediately dug deeper hoping to find remains to no avail! Rats!

This area was one that Navy Davy, Slickpick Rick and I had done on several previous occasions with some degree of success so I was not looking forward to any great finds nor any great amount of toasty coinage but was pleased with the 13 coins (37cents) rescued from the ooze.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/leslie19/P7100008.jpg
Tide was coming up and my detecting area was shrinking in direct proportion but I didn't care. Got to swing in February and left as happy as an albacore tuna in a school of mackerel!

So where does the 50 come into play well let me tell you me son. At the biker's dance Marie and I attended I had brought 50/50 tickets but had left before the dance was over and had turned the tickets over to Ken, Marie's brother who at 2am in the morning was ringing our buzzer. Shocking as we were in bed but Ken being Ken had to come up which he did handing Marie an envelope..........containing $294....we had won! Gave Ken $40 to take his date out for a snack and threw him out the door.

Second and third 50's I received on Valentine's day as when I awoke there was an envelope and a little red bag decorated with hearts. Read the card....rather mushy, Lord love a duck and inside was this pair of 50's.....cent pieces that is!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/leslie19/P7100004.jpg
A few more dollars for the &quot:beerbuddy:ack to the UK Fund and few I might add as Marie got half, Otto got a piece of mine and to get out of the doghouse for having forgotten the International Day of Love I emptied my pocket for a bottle of Shi perfume.......stinks sum pretty youz!

coinnut
02-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Sounds like quite the adventure, although I wouldn,t be as gracious if someone woke me up at that time of night :bop: Glad you had a chance to get out, we have been lucky here and get to go detecting just about every weekend. I don't know how I'd be, if I were in your shoes! I take it all youe cents are still copper? No zinc ones? Or were you lucky enough to just find the solid ones?