PDA

View Full Version : 2 hour hunt gets 2 silver coins and a wheat

Dimeman
12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Took my F5 to a park 2 1/2 miles from my house. Wanted to check an area that was just cleared of some dead trees ( from our drought this year). Many park areas have lost trees due to lack of rainfall this year. One of the largest park areas in the central area of Houston has lost over 6,000 trees. The city is trying to cut the dead one down and grind up the stumps. They use the woodchips to refill up the park totlots.
Anyway----this park had some nice big pines and some oak trees that died and some depressions were left after some trees were removed. Very good for detecting around.

I did pretty good---dug up a soda can and rescanned the hole and got a nice dime signal......

[attach=1]

A few clad coins later around where another tree used to be, I dug on another dime signal at 5 inches deep.

[attach=2]

Here is the total of what I found this morning. The wheat is a 54.

[attach=3]

The Merc is a 1926 S-- the 5th lowest mintage Mercury Dime and worth about $25.00 in its condition. :happydance01: :happydance01:

aloldstuff
12-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Now that is some smart hunting. I'm sure that there are plenty of more trees to hunt aroung. Congrats on the silvers, especially the 1926-s

randy
12-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Sweet silver |:cheering: Make sure you hunt in the depression where the tree was, and in any of the stump grindings. I got a walker at 1 inch earlier in the year, right in the stump grindings were they took out an old tree.