PDA

View Full Version : CELLAR HOLES* OLD SCABBARD & SILVER

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Roger & myself headed down to a few new sites.the 1st two sites were pounded to death.the last one we had some luck at.It was rough swinging as you can tell my all the barberry bushes.I think this site is worse than the site I found my 3rd GW button at.
got a few buttons,a 44 merc and this cool scabbard.any ideas on its age? :dontknow:
was real cold out there at 5am :frozen:
Rog got a few buttons & a sweet 1851 braided hair LC

Toadman
12-18-2011, 06:59 PM
No help here at all.. But man, you have some killer sites :->

mike l
12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Looks like some tough ground to hunt. Alot of the woods sites here on Long Island look like that. You pulled some nice relics out of it, that scabbard piece is awesome. :peace:

del
12-19-2011, 06:23 PM
your 3rd picture looks like an area where George and i had to hunt for the Indian Museum :hairpulling: it wasn't fun at all. lol lol

the Scabbard piece looks like it might be late 1800's form the attachment nipple on the side . but wheres the sword :dontknow: :poke: :poke: yeah it is getting pretty chilly in the morning huh , hope your dressing for it buddy :yes: congrats on the merc Dave .

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-19-2011, 11:43 PM
your 3rd picture looks like an area where George and i had to hunt for the Indian Museum :hairpulling: it wasn't fun at all. lol lol

the Scabbard piece looks like it might be late 1800's form the attachment nipple on the side . but wheres the sword :dontknow: :poke: :poke: yeah it is getting pretty chilly in the morning huh , hope your dressing for it buddy :yes: congrats on the merc Dave .

thanks Dan.yeah it was actually worse than what the picture shows.i think my jeans had more barberry prickers stuck in that what were on the bushes themselves.not fun kneeling down to dig a target and one of them branches is in the fold of the back of your knee going down.ouch!
anyways..here's what another forum member said about the scabbard..

I really like the scabbard throat you dug however it may actually be a scabbard throat for a Saber Bayonet.

The saber bayonet actually functioned as a short sword and was maintained in a scabbard attached to the belt. The saber could be mounted to the musket barrel when needed and was certainly intended for military use. The standard bayonet was also stored in a scabbard but did not have a handle; it mounted to the bayonet lug at the end of the barrel.

Dave, I have dug several examples around eastern Virginia and all have differed. I'm just giving you my opinion and say that it is 1850 to 1860 era. Anyhow, it's military for sure, for sure, for sure and most likely civil war period.

Another great find!

Ill Digger
12-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Another unique find Dave!! :cool: thumbsup01
I've never seen a cut scabbard :dontknow: The way it's cut is kind of ornate :yes:
Cool find!
Congrats ! :grin:

CODY
12-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Some very nice finds. IMHO the scabbard is deffenitlly a bayonet scabbard. I had one that looked just like it. The lower part was leather. The leather part was approx. 12 to 16 in. long. The one I had was from WWI. Congrats on some great finds.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Some very nice finds. IMHO the scabbard is deffenitlly a bayonet scabbard. I had one that looked just like it. The lower part was leather. The leather part was approx. 12 to 16 in. long. The one I had was from WWI. Congrats on some great finds.

cool! you still have it? if so..can you post a pic on this thread?