PDA

View Full Version : My wife has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer

MinelabIowa
12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
My whole world has been turned upside down. My wife of 21 years has been diagnosed with Ovarian cancer just a little over 2 weeks ago. She did not have any warning signs other than alittle pain in her pelvis and discomfort in her belly. One other thing that is she though was,, that her belly felt (full) like constipation/acid refex, on and off, alot.
She made a appointment to see the doctor here in Dubuque, and once examined,, he thought she just had constipation and acid reflex. My wife then told the doctor that she had a hard fealing belly. He examined her belly and felt the hard mass. He recomended that we go directly to the emergency room.
We left directly for the University of Iowa hospital and clinics a hour and a half away. Once a C-scan was done. The doctor said it was Cancer. My wife and I both broke down. Hearing that the cancer was in her Ovories and Uterus , also her Intestines and bladder, and posibily her Stomach. Stage 3 Ovarian cancer was diagnosed. The University of Iowa has 4 out of the 5 Gynecological Oncoligists in the state. Teams of doctors where coming in and out of my wifes hospital room. The doctors decided that my wife was to undergo surgery. We arrived at the hospital on a Friday and the surgery was the following Wendesday. The waiting was the hardest. Not knowing what the outcome was going to be.
The surgery on Wendesday was the longest 7 hours of my life. The doctor came out after surgery and said that they got 95-98% of the cancer. The cancer was in her reproductive organs and in her small intestine. Her stomach and her major organs where clear of cancer. They did a Hysterectomy and 2 bowel resections, along with 2 Lymph nodes where removed . He said that the rest of the cancer should be wiped clean with Chemotherepy. My wife is 45 years old and is a fighter. We are now home, and my wife is resting and healing. We have many hurdles to jump over yet. I am thankfull for the team of doctors that saved my wifes life. All I want for everyone is there thoughts and prayers. I will keep everyone posted! Thankyou Joe

Tony Two-Cent
12-18-2011, 07:22 PM
I can't imagine what you and your wife are going through, Joe, but hopefully the worst part is over and your wife is on the way to complete recovery. Thank you for letting us know about the situation. You are definitely in our thoughts and we wish you and your wife nothing but the best.

Take care and keep us updated when you have the chance.

SeabeeRon
12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Prayers for you Joe.

POKIE73
12-18-2011, 09:15 PM
its times like these that you count on your friends and family the most my prayers are with as iam sure many others on this forum feel the same dennis

pulltabsteve
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
My prayers are being sent.

sandals
12-18-2011, 10:06 PM
prayers and positive thoughts for your wife and you at this time.....

My4Kiwis
12-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Please know that the power of thoughts and prayer can work wonders and it sounds like that along with your wifes fighting attitude have already helped you guys get this far.

I know only a little of what you are feeling. My wife was also diagnosed with early stage ovarian cancer about 18 months ago. It turned out to be other issues that have since been resolved through surgery.

Please know that you and your wife are in our prayers. Hang Tough!!

4Kiwis

CODY
12-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I am praying for you and your wife Joe. God is always Good. He listens.

jkress
12-19-2011, 12:19 AM
PM sent to you.

angellionel
12-19-2011, 12:29 AM
It's difficult to imagine the range of emotions you both must have experienced and are still feeling. I feel for you both. Thankfully the surgery helped, and hopefully the worst is over. Best of health to you both. Hang in there!

Cheap Thrills
12-19-2011, 12:50 AM
I am praying for your wife and you .

Shipwreck
12-19-2011, 02:01 AM
I Will be praying for your and your wife

del
12-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Joe i can't fathom the emotional rollercoaster you and your wife must of went through and the tests you still have ahead , i hope and pray your wife will recover quickly and that they have erraticated all the cancer . Joe whats your wife's name please.

Dan

randy
12-19-2011, 06:30 AM
My thoughts are with you and your wife. Sounds like the worst of the ordeal is over. Here's praying for a full and speedy recovery.

Lowjiber
12-19-2011, 06:56 AM
God bless your wife with a full recovery. I'll say a special prayer for her today.

aloldstuff
12-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Please know that many folks are praying for you and your wife.

CyberSage
12-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Joe,
May the light of God shine down on you, and your Wife. This cancer will be no match for the love and strength that flows around her at this time. Know that you are not alone.

woodennickel
12-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Joe,

Prayers are on the way. Wishing the best for both you and her.

m.....

jasonc
12-19-2011, 10:23 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. Keep your head up and beliveve in the power of prayer......

Epi-hunter
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Joe,

I can't even imagine what you and your wife must be feeling.

It sounds like the surgery was successful. I hope and pray that everything will work out for the best.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Angie

james h smith
12-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Believe in the Lord

MinelabIowa
12-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Thankyou( all) for the kinds words. My wife Laurie and I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I will keep everyone updated.

Fire Fighter 43
12-20-2011, 02:23 PM
My prayers go out to you and your family Remember that you and your wife are not alone in this battle. God Bless

Ytcoinshooter
12-20-2011, 04:30 PM
It's hard to express how reading of your wife's condition and what you all are facing affects others you haven't met in person. I'm not a praying person but I'll start now for the hope this cancer is completely eliminated. We've had our share of it in my mothers family, my best, most sincere thoughts and prayers to your family.
Bruce

whammy
12-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Joe, my prayers and understanding go out to you and your wife. My wife is a 4 time cancer survivor. When she was diagnosed, she was told she had a 20 % survival rate. Like your wife, mine is also a fighter, and she was determined that she was in that 20 %. She lost all but 7 inches of her colon ( next step is the bag ). She had a hysterectomy, and some of her lymph nodes removed. She has undergone, at the time, every chemo treatment they had plus radiation. She has been cancer free for almost 9 years now. I really believe that part of the cure is in the head. When accompanying my wife to the chemo treatments, you could almost tell the ones who were not going to make it, and who the fighters were. Give your wife all the encouragement and hugs she can stand, and tell her to keep up the good fight. Bless the both of you. Dave

Beefcake
12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Joe, my prayers go out to you! May whatever good karma that I may be afforded go your way. I am happy about the prognosis and like you said, she is a fighter! Best wishes to you and your wife... stay strong!

tanacat
12-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi Joe, my prayers and understanding go out to you and your wife. My wife is a 4 time cancer survivor.

That is very inspirational :yes: My prayers go out to you also, I know it must be so scary. I have several family/friends who are cancer survivors and doing very well. Medical technology is amazing.

fsa46
12-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Joe, Our thoughts and prayers :angelic: are with Laurie, you and your family.

Bell-Two
12-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Please be assured we will pray for you and your wife, we too have been touched by Cancer, my wife is a survivor of 15 years, she had colon cancer which was diagnosed as a stage 2. We decided to take each day at a time, that worrying about tomorrow does not work, do what you can do today. I know that you will be there for her everyday, and that she knows that she is not alone in this battle. And most importantly trust in the Lord, that is what kept us sane and balanced. I do not know if you are a believer or not but be aware that those of us who are will pray for your family. Keep faith, do not give up a fighting spirit is important.

2Corinthians 5:7 for we walk by faith, not by sight--

Tony

milco
12-24-2011, 04:58 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to your wife and you and your whole family as you go through this trying time! May God Bless you all!

Relicminer
12-31-2011, 07:21 PM
May God Bless!!

DaCapt
12-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Your both in my prayers.

jkress
02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the update Joe. I am very happy to hear of the progress.

odave
02-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Laurie and Joe Prayers sent for You both , God Bless

pale rider
02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Prayers sent.

JTGOLD
02-10-2012, 12:02 PM
my prayers go out to the both of you.

OxShoeDrew
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I hope all is going well and the worst is over.

ArtWI
02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Let us know how it's going.