PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day Gold - A Desperate Hunt In The Cold

CyberSage
02-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, I just don't know where to begin. I had spent most of the day with my loving Wife. It was after all Valentine's Day. Late in the afternoon the wind was blowing hard and the wind chill was down to single digits. For some... God only knows why reason I felt the need to go and detect. We have had some new snow and below 0 nights so the ground was froze solid. So I resigned to hunting a school wood chip play ground about a block from my house. Today I took the DFX with the Bigfoot coil and left the V3 hanging on the wall. I had been out an hour and was loosing feeling in my right hand. I had dug about a $1.50 in clad and some junk. I was trying to get to $2.00 before calling it quits. I swung in under a overhead climbing bar on a piece of playground equipment and received a light broken +8 to +19 hit, it was just all over the place, but I dug. I chipped out the wood chips to reveal a Gold color ID Bracelet. A quick inspection confirmed that it was 14K. WOW! First Tot lot in over a year and it produces 8 Grams of Gold. I headed for home and a warm cup of tea. As I entered the door of my house I held out my find and gave it to my Wife. With a Big smile I said, Happy Valentines Day Honey.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/14KID.jpg

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Krom
02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
What a sweetheart you are, Jack!
&quot:beerbuddy:e right back, honey. I forgot to get your V-day present. rofl

Epi-hunter
02-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Beautiful find, worth braving the single digit cold :shocked04: I really don't know how you snow detectorists do it. Very nice bracelet, congrats! thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
02-16-2010, 10:42 PM
WTG Jack! I admire you hard core cold weather detectorists!!

Ill Digger
02-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Smmmoooooth Jack 8)
Boy that couldn't have worked out better! thumbsup01
Thats a win win, nice braclet.
Congrats :grin:

Beefcake
02-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Wow Jack... That's a beauty!!! Congrats buddy!

MT
02-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Faaantastic Find! thumbsup01
HH,
MT

del
02-17-2010, 07:16 AM
you lucky man , nice bracelet Jack . those DFX's hate the cold and i bet you didn't have that much longer with that machine before it starts to act very erratic in those very cold temps. great job .

CyberSage
02-17-2010, 08:15 AM
you lucky man , nice bracelet Jack . those DFX's hate the cold and i bet you didn't have that much longer with that machine before it starts to act very erratic in those very cold temps. great job .

Funny you would mention that. The threshold tone started changing and getting stuck until a quick trigger squeeze. I thought it was probably the cold getting to the DFX. I check it again after an hour or so in the warm house and it was fine.

I don't find much gold in my hunts. I guess I focus a lot on old coins. Man, I am really getting cabin fever now. Can't wait for warmer weather. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Jack

Lowjiber
02-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Very nice find Jack!!! You're much tougher that I am...below 40 and I'm sitting by the fireplace. ;)

angellionel
02-17-2010, 09:15 AM
That find would have warmed anyone's hands right away. Very nice!

coinnut
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Great catch Jack! I've never seen big gold before lol Mine are usually plated. What a stroke of luck too ....on Valentine's Day thumbsup01 If you could only go back on her birthday and score that diamond ring....after that, you would be able to detect 24 hours a day. lol Nice way to start of the year.

tanacat
02-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Very nice find! :yes: Does your wife MD also? My hubby tried to find our property stake out back and came back in to ask for help :rolleyes: He has no interest in the treasure hunting part, but enjoys seeing what strange things I come up with.

coinnut
02-19-2010, 05:07 PM
He has no interest in the treasure hunting part, but enjoys seeing what strange things I come up with.

Would it help if we threw in a cup holder on his machine? lol Come to think of it, that might be a nice selling point. :confused:

tanacat
02-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Would it help if we threw in a cup holder on his machine? lol Come to think of it, that might be a nice selling point. :confused:

lol oh man what will we come up with next? Of course it'd have to have a kick stand too!

coinnut
02-19-2010, 06:05 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever been arrested for DUI? (Detecting Under the Influence) lol Let's scrap that cup holder idea. :confused:

bmattioli
02-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Very nice story and what a find, oooooh that Winter Gold..

toehead
02-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Great find Jack, keep the stories and pics coming! It's all I got right now. If I wanted to hunt right now I would need to shovel snow first.

John M
02-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Nice find Jack and a nice gift for sure,all it cost you was a chance at getting frost bit.

handyman
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Nice gold. Thats the way to make your day.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
very nice find! and no name engraved yet on it? are you goind to have your wife's name put on it?

coinnut
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
very nice find! and no name engraved yet on it? are you goind to have your wife's name put on it?

I think he should put DFX on it lol No, better not. :confused:

DirtFisher
06-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I just saw this post. Nice find! I always thought of you as a 'coin only' guy who wouldn't mess with the lower VDI's. I sure was wrong! :perfect10: