PDA

View Full Version : Finds from my first daytime hunt with the new E-Trac

DirtFisher
12-22-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't expect to get this lucky again but wow this thing has great separation in High Trash mode! I was cherry picking gold out of an area littered with clad. Dug just one penny and abut 10 nickels. I got sidetracked from the gold search once due to a 'flutey' sound that turned out to be a large clad coin drop. The middle ring was really down there - maybe 9 inches!

Ill Digger
12-22-2011, 01:25 AM
:confused: Those are numbers that alot of people ignore. :yes: But this can be the reward! :drool: :clapping:
I found a small 10k ring this year and it came in 12-06 too. Is that middle ring 10k?
I agree. The E-Trac will lock onto the gold just fine. You just gotta dig those trash numbers! :yes: :hairpulling: lol
Awesome finds!
Congrats! :grin:

jkress
12-22-2011, 02:20 AM
:shocked04: Simply an amazing hunt with your new machine. <:

You see plenty of silver posts with new E-Tracs, but this one is amazing. When you say cherry picking gold is something I have yet to hear with any machine. :clapping:

Any tips for a 'no solid gold ring yet' kind of guy? :embarrassed:

Congrats on a golden hunt DirtFisher.

randy
12-22-2011, 05:31 AM
And who says the E-Trac can't find gold. Sweet digs :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
12-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Congrats on some great finds!!

DirtFisher
12-22-2011, 11:26 AM
The top and middle rings are 10K and the bottom is 18K. By 'cherry picking' I meant that I was working around a lot of clad and trying to concentrat only on gold-range signals. I only dug one penny and one large coin spill that I thought was silver so I dug it. I dug lots of foil and pull tabs.

earthmansurfer
12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Congrats! Wow that is deep. Amazing how we are so comfy so soon, eh? What coil were you using? I have the :loveit:6SEF on the way.

Aren't you on the V3i board as well? If so would be nice to cross check the deep ones.

Albert

tracyjm
12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Congrats! Wow that is deep. Amazing how we are so comfy so soon, eh? What coil were you using? I have the :loveit:6SEF on the way.

Aren't you on the V3i board as well? If so would be nice to cross check the deep ones.

Albert

Hey Albert! I just crossed over to the &quot:grin:ark side with an E-Trac. I went mostly with the Whites side since the mid 1970's. I just purchased a :loveit:6 SEF for the E-Trac that I haven't recieved yet. I have a newer V3i but had some problems with it because it needed factory reset. The E-Trac is very impressive right out of the box. I'm hyped to see these amazing gold ring finds. I thought the V3i would do a better job on gold. This puts some doubts in the Jedi mind! thumbsup01

tracyjm
12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
The top and middle rings are 10K and the bottom is 18K. By 'cherry picking' I meant that I was working around a lot of clad and trying to concentrat only on gold-range signals. I only dug one penny and one large cin spill that I thought was silver so I dug it. I dugn lots of foil and oull tabs.

You made the E-Trac look like a gold magnet. I hope you can keep them coming!!

earthmansurfer
12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Hey Albert! I just crossed over to the &quot:grin:ark side with an E-Trac. I went mostly with the Whites side since the mid 1970's. I just purchased a :loveit:6 SEF for the E-Trac that I haven't recieved yet. I have a newer V3i but had some problems with it because it needed factory reset. The E-Trac is very impressive right out of the box. I'm hyped to see these amazing gold ring finds. I thought the V3i would do a better job on gold. This puts some doubts in the Jedi mind! thumbsup01

I am not at all brand loyal, though I do like Fisher/Teknetics machines. The V3i was my first White's machine. So, we both have an :loveit:6 on the way, both had V3i's,... hey, this is kind of scary. What is your girlfriend and daughters name? eheheh

Yes, the E-Trac is great right out of the box. I am finding deep coins EVERY hunt - barely made that today with one at 8! I don't mind not finding silver if I can pull a deepie.

I do think the V3i is better on gold (small) than the E-Trac. I just found too many small (non gold) targets. It is very sensitive there. But I am shocked at the E-Trac on coins and depth.

All the best and we'll have to compare notes if we get a chance to use those coils before the freeze,
Albert

DirtFisher
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Albert, I'm on the White's site as Reeseb. Yes, I do have a V3i. Interesting thing is that my E-Trac can't see a 5.3 gram 18K gold chain. No matter how close it is to the coil - it doesn't even null. My V3i goes bonkers on it. And the most interesting thing is that I found the chain in the water with my Excalibur II. >:#

DirtFisher
12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm using the stock coil.

earthmansurfer
12-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Reeseb! I am not crazy... I mean I have a good memory.

Hey, I'm not shocked at your jewelry find. For finer jewelry the higher frequency machines and the V3i are great. I don't hunt jewelry though. I got the E-Trac to see how it does on coins.

I'm really curious about the V3i on coins in my type of ground (V3i says it's low mineralization (1%) but has a lot of iron mineralization - VDI -92 to -94) The E-Trac started pulling 7 and 8 coins from this soil. I have to eventually compare signals but wonder if I'm on to something...

EMS

DirtFisher
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
It's interesting that the E-Trac is unable to the 18K 5.4g gold chain I found with my Excal. Truthfully, my Excal can't see it either. Both machines don't even null on it when it's right up to the coil. It's like it isn't even there. The only reason why I found is it had a junk metal eagle attached to it. That's what the Excal hit on. My V3i hits hard on the necklace. I've read that this is a problem with FBS. This actually doesn't bother me because necklaces are a pretty rare find for a jewelry hunter.

earthmansurfer
12-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Reese, I don't think it's a problem with FBS at all. I think it's the lower frequency sets they chose to select out of the 100 frequencies! LOL. Really, from reading it's pretty clear that the E-Trac is great on the high conductors - I noticed that real quick as well. On the forums people say it does great on jewelry but not the fine jewelry.

I have a feeling the next E-Trac might have a jewelry mode, where it also incorporates a higher frequency set.

DirtFisher
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM
If by 'fine jewelry' you mean small gold, I with you - but so far my E-Trac has done very well on small gold rings (like the 1g kind). I don't think I'll be missing much with the E-Trac as far as gold is concerned.

Jason in Enid
01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
By the nature of the signal return given by round objects, rings (even small gold rings) are easily detected. Gold chains can be very difficult for most detectors to read. They respond as a whole object, but as the individual links which means very small responses.

Congrats on the great finds. I too am guilty of quickly giving up on the low numbers after digging a handfull of canslaw and tabs.