PDA

View Full Version : Hip Replacement And Metal Detecting

Bell-Two
12-22-2011, 01:02 AM
I just talked to my doctor and he reccomended a total hip replacement. Have anyone out there had this done and how did it affect your detecting, such as ability to kneel etc. I would appreciate any help.

Beefcake
12-22-2011, 01:18 AM
A fella that I work with had both replaced... Mind you, this is a fella that is pushing 400lbs and he hasn't regretted it one bit... He gets around 100% better than he did before.

fsa46
12-22-2011, 07:10 AM
I just talked to my doctor and he reccomended a total hip replacement. Have anyone out there had this done and how did it affect your detecting, such as ability to kneel etc. I would appreciate any help.

I wish you the best. Both of mine are giving me fits and am going to try and work through it, but I must admit, it isn't easy.

CODY
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I dont know about a hip, but my right knee is killing me. I've had scopes on both. The right didnt take. I feel that a knee replacement is in my future. Soooooo this is what I have decided to do. I'm gonna recruit a digger. One of the grand kids I hope. If not, one of the neighborhood kids. I'll do what ever I have to do to MD. I AM OBSESSED! Argggggggggggggg!

Ytcoinshooter
12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
You will get your life back and more. I had both replaced at different times, the first Dec 1, 2003 the left hip, June 14, 2006 my right hip. Total arthoplasty - complete replacements with Stryker prosthetic hips. Unless I told you you would never know by watching me, I have an extra wait getting on an airplane as the TSA gives me the full treatment.

Ytcoinshooter
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
People look at me strange when I use my handicap tag but if it's slick out, rain, snow or ice I will not take a chance of going down and dislodging a hip. I had severe pain for years due to having developed bad arthritis at age 40. I'm now 55 and 5 1/2 years out from the second surgery. I wasn't accurately diagnosed for 6 years because my Dr. found I had sciatica and I was just to live on pain meds. By 2003 I was in tears from the pain and always could tell the weather was changing. I'm talking about 24/7 pain, nothing helped and it was my constant companion. Sitting or lying down did not reduce the pain. I was still trying to detect marathon sessions in and out of the water despite being in agony full time. I still wonder how I did so well in finds when I was medicated to the stratosphere. You name it I was prescribed it. I chewed pain pills like tic-tacs with black coffee just to get to the shower and start my day.
Bell-Two, you can pm me or ask me here anything. You (and I) are lucky that today's hip replacements are advanced over what was available 20 years ago. Much of my hip problem was due to scoliosis resulting in one leg shorter than the other. I had an up and down gait when I walked and had worn holes in my left femur and pelvic bone. My first surgery also got my leg adjusted so both are the same length. Anything you want to know just ask. My life is great now. My back is arthritic but I can live with that compared to where I was in 2003.
One thing to think about is rehab during winter stinks because walking is the best and I had to go to an indoor
mall work it. But I thought I wouldn't miss detecting the following spring if I got it done in December. The right hip I decided to have done in fair weather. Took June 9 - Sept 6 off of work. 3 weeks before I was due back on the job I spent 2 weeks on Cape Cod water hunting in the ocean and found diamond rings and all the good stuff. It was great!
There are 90 day and lifetime precautions after this surgery.
HH-Bruce

fsa46
12-24-2011, 05:17 AM
People look at me strange when I use my handicap tag but if it's slick out, rain, snow or ice I will not take a chance of going down and dislodging a hip. I had severe pain for years due to having developed bad arthritis at age 40. I'm now 55 and 5 1/2 years out from the second surgery. I wasn't accurately diagnosed for 6 years because my Dr. found I had sciatica and I was just to live on pain meds. By 2003 I was in tears from the pain and always could tell the weather was changing. I'm talking about 24/7 pain, nothing helped and it was my constant companion. Sitting or lying down did not reduce the pain. I was still trying to detect marathon sessions in and out of the water despite being in agony full time. I still wonder how I did so well in finds when I was medicated to the stratosphere. You name it I was prescribed it. I chewed pain pills like tic-tacs with black coffee just to get to the shower and start my day.
Bell-Two, you can pm me or ask me here anything. You (and I) are lucky that today's hip replacements are advanced over what was available 20 years ago. Much of my hip problem was due to scoliosis resulting in one leg shorter than the other. I had an up and down gait when I walked and had worn holes in my left femur and pelvic bone. My first surgery also got my leg adjusted so both are the same length. Anything you want to know just ask. My life is great now. My back is arthritic but I can live with that compared to where I was in 2003.
One thing to think about is rehab during winter stinks because walking is the best and I had to go to an indoor
mall work it. But I thought I wouldn't miss detecting the following spring if I got it done in December. The right hip I decided to have done in fair weather. Took June 9 - Sept 6 off of work. 3 weeks before I was due back on the job I spent 2 weeks on Cape Cod water hunting in the ocean and found diamond rings and all the good stuff. It was great!
There are 90 day and lifetime precautions after this surgery.
HH-Bruce

Bruce, after all you went through :blackeye: :stretcher: , I'm sure glad everything worked out for you. |:cheering:

Wishing you the best Bell-Two :yes:, let us know how thing work out.

Bell-Two
12-24-2011, 09:26 AM
I wish to take time to thank all of you that have posted a reply, your words have been comforting and encouraging and I am most appreciative. God Bless You All!

I will give updates and please feel free to continue commentating as I feel spiritually lifted by your concerns!

Tony

Ytcoinshooter
12-24-2011, 09:30 AM
abilities over what I could tolerate before. Being free of meds and living my life it's a wonder people hesitate on joint replacements. Now I'll be honest and tell you that post op had it's pain but it fades over time. The heavy pain meds enabled me to train my muscles and learn to walk. Life now is so different. I can ride a bicycle, hike, swim, lift weights (no squats or leg presses), bowl, ride motorcycles (always have), climb stairs and much more. I avoid ice, snow, crossing my legs \:hammer: and just be cautious of my surroundings so I know where I'm steping. I came out as the poster boy for the benefits replacement hips. It a quality of life issue, that's why I chimed in with my personal views on some of what I dealt with.
Have a great holiday everyone!

POKIE73
12-24-2011, 09:43 AM
i can understand how you feel but there is still ways you can get along quite well i myself have bad knees i cannot knell i carry a bucket along with a small icefishing seat on top ofit then when it comes time to dig i can sit on the bucket and it works good for hope this can give you some alternative to knelling dennis

Bell-Two
01-05-2012, 05:43 PM
My surgery is scheduled for Feb 15th, I wish I could have got in sooner but we all know how that is! :stretcher:

DaCapt
01-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I've had knee and hip replacement. Knee about 15 years ago and hip 3 years. I would do it again if needed. The pain is gone and life is good :)
Good luck with the surgery and hang in there!
Remember to do your excercises and don't over do it. My hip recovery time was about 6 weeks.

Bulldog
01-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Howdy Bell-two. I had a total right hip replacement almost 5 years ago now when I reached 50 years old. I was to the point I could not walk anymore when I finally had the surgery done. Boy, am I glad I did it! I am completely pain free now. I had my surgery at 7:30 on a Wednesday morning and by 3:30 that afternoon was up and walking. Even though there was some soreness from the surgery, I could immediately tell it was a huge success! By Friday morning I was walking 15 laps (1 mile) around the nurses stations, and by Friday afternoon I was headed home! Went back to work by week 11 (at the time I was a loader operator in a rock pit). It took almost 1 year to fully heal up to where I could do everything I could do before my hip went bad (running, martial arts, jumping down off of the loader, etc.) and haven't looked back since then. The biggest piece of advice I could give you is do EXACTLY what the Dr. says to do during your recovery period. Some of my friends that had the procedure done didn't follow instructions and ended up not having a very good outcome. My situation was due to degenerative arthritis in the joint. Unfortunately, now the left hip needs replaced. Will probably have it done here fairly soon. Good luck with your surgery! I hope all goes well and you have a great outcome! |:cheering:

Bulldog

Bell-Two
01-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks so much Bulldog, I will try to do exactly what they reccomend. Mine too is from degenerative Arthritis. I can still walk but generally limp and have pain, I am 68 so I need to get it fixed so I can continue to do what I like to do. Metal detect, ride bikes and walk.

whammy
01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi Bell. I was out January 5th 2012 getting water when I slipped on the ice and snapped my left leg bone. The next day I was operated on and they did a partial hip replacement. They gave me a new ball and about 4 inches of steel to attach to the leg bone. I just graduated to a cane today. Doc said it might be in June or July before I can kneel down and start digging again, so don't push it , and don't worry. The only thing I worry about is popping the new ball out of the hip socket, so I'm going real slow and listening to the doctors. Good luck.