PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was like Spring! Great to be out detecting at the shoreline.

Ytcoinshooter
12-23-2011, 12:31 PM
First time out with the Sovereign GT about 3 1/2 hours at a saltwater beach. The iron debris is severe there and the iron mask feature was very good and necessary. There is black sand but red sand is so abundant and it gives the beach a red glow in the late December sun. Coins were found to about 10 inches. The only bummer was I was to have a 15x12 SEF by now but was mislead due to an inventory snafu by Kllyco. I was told when I ordered on 12/14 that there were two left and it'd ship by 12/16...found out 12/21 they never had it in stock. Anyway I got a feel for what to expect from to 10 Tornado. That SEF is going to be a killer. Funny, this is one of the worst iron infested beaches I hunt, I didn't dig any iron (thanks iron mask). Ran disc, threshold on, iron mask on ,disc / notch at zero, sens at 11:00 after ground balancing in all metal with trac / auto sens. Copper and silver sang out real clear and high. Aluminum / gold range was clear, bottle caps and foil were a different tone with the crown caps sounding really ratty and partly nulling when close to the coil. With the bigger coil I'll be digging more for sure. A couple of older guys were there using E-Tracs and we got to swap storied of what has turned up since storm Irene. One of them had previously found an 1875 seated half and the other a Barber 1/2. Since that storm I've found silver each trip there. Old Coins have been freed from the dunes and are showing up randomly on the beach. This was a great weather day in late December just like spring, 55 and sunshine. I ended the day, last find was the 1964 quarter.
HH-Bruce
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/idigther/8d7b4036.jpg

OxShoeDrew
12-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Nice way to end the hunt. You must be near me as yesterday was just gorgeous. Hope you get your coil soon and there'll be more days like yesterday before the snow flies again.

tanacat
12-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Nice... glad you got out for a bit! On the beach :envious: Congrats on the quarter! :)

Today I ordered SEF Butterfly 12x10 for my V3i and they were out of them as well. Santa must be buying a bunch this year lol Hopefully we'll both get ours soon. I'm psyched to try it out as well thumbsup01

Yeah, I bet a lot of stuff was turned by Irene... :yes: