PDA

View Full Version : I kinda saved my brother's life today...

Beefcake
12-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, this will be a memorable Christmas Eve... My family and my brother met at my Mom's house this afternoon for Christmas exchange/dinner. I noticed when my brother got there he just didn't seem right. We sat down to watch the Steeler's game and he was saying that he was super hungry. I was freezing and had a cover on and he began to sweat profusely... Literally started to soak his shirt as he sat there looking tired. He's type II diabetic...so am I, but he's much less under control... He works midnights and woke up in time to come to mom's by 12:30.. He said that he gave himself his shot and his meds and continued to state he was starving. I noticed he began to nod off to sleep, but continued to sweat...his shirt was nearly completely soaked at this point. I went and sat next to him and noticed he was slow to respond.... I knew he was in trouble. I asked my mom if she still had her glucometer because I didn't want to do anything without testing him.. I knew he was either high or low, but certainly wasn't going to give him anything if I didn't know. She finally found her glucometer and it took me 4 tries to get a reading because his skin was saturated with sweat. I finally got a reading and it was 37!!! Oh boy.. I immediately got him some fruit juice, which he drank.. waited about another 5 minutes and took it again... This time it was a 31... I got him some orange juice and put sugar in with it... My mom began to panic because he was going in and out of conciousness, and I had to keep smacking his arm to keep him awake. My Step-dad called 911 and they arrived pretty quick... They tested him when they got there and he was up to a 45. They had us make him a PB and J sandwich with extra jelly. They gave him glucose jelly orally and gave him an IV. He didn't even know what day it was when they got there and kept nodding off... At least, being a diabetic myself, I was aware of what was going on... That was way too scary and way to close... It turns out he must have taken his insulin on an empty stomach and expected to eat quicker at my mom's... He didn't remember anything. He didn't have to go to the hospital after they got his glucose stabilized... I kept thinking...What if he had been at home alone? He couldn't talk or move?...What a day!

del
12-24-2011, 10:25 PM
thats pretty scarey Brian , i'm glad for your Brother you recognized the symptoms .

Epi-hunter
12-24-2011, 10:27 PM
I asked my mom if she still had her glucometer because I didn't want to do anything without testing him.. I knew he was either high or low, but certainly wasn't going to give him anything if I didn't know.

I wish everyone knew what you just stated.

It is vital.

I'm glad it worked out Brian, and that you guys knew what to do. :yes:

russellt
12-24-2011, 10:35 PM
gee whiz what a day . hope everything works out . kudos for you ........ |:cheering:

Beefcake
12-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I just talked to him and he is doing fine tonight. Low sugar is nasty and can hit very hard and sudden. This is the first time that something like this has ever happened to him. My mom thought he was having a heart attack, but I knew his sugar was all screwed up. I hated seeing him trying to nodd off and I kept watching his chest to make sure he was breathing... He's my only sibling and I couldn't bear losing him.

Tony Two-Cent
12-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow, very scary indeed. Lucky you were there and knew what to do, Brian! I'm glad that your brother is OK now!

Fire Fighter 43
12-25-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm glad to see everything worked out alright. I deal with diabetics all the time and they can go down quickly, good thing he wasn't alone and that you knew just what to do.

randy
12-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Wow that must have been a scary experience. I'm glad you got it under control, and best wishes for a full recovery and healthy new year.

OxShoeDrew
12-25-2011, 07:35 AM
I wish you and your family a more relaxing Christmas Day and happy new year.

tanacat
12-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Oh my goodness that must have been so scary :-\ Glad you were there Brian!!!

odave
12-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Awesome Brian !!
He's lucky he has You for a Brother and that You knew what to do !!

Merry Christmas

Ill Digger
12-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Wow! 8/ Scary is right!
I'm glad you were there!
I hope the rest of the holidays go a little smoother for ya! thumbsup01 lol
It looks like your brother had a angle among him yesterday! :yes: :angelic:
Merry Christmas Brian! :beerbuddy:

sandals
01-02-2012, 09:25 AM
wow, just read this....I hope that by now everything is great with your brother....living with diabetes in my family I know how things can just happen suddenly....it's a good thing you checked his levels first before doing anything....

Zip Zip
01-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I am glad things came out fine.My g/f and one of her dogs are Diabetic.I administer 6 injections of insulin a day to them.
You Done Good ! thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01