PDA

View Full Version : Misc relic finds from last year!!

xzlr8n
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Cleaning up a cup I tossed some interesting finds into and thought you guys might appreciate looking at them during this lonnnnnnng and dismal winter break :bangahead01:. There are some musketballs, some brass costume jewelery, a screw and key, bronze plates for old pic's I think, and an interesting medal that says GRAND ARMY OF the?? REPUBLIC.

This Grand Army medal has a Sailor??, Union Soldier, an Angel or Indian ??, mother and child, sabers, cannons, bugles, rifles and anchors in the corners, an Eagle and American :usaflag:. Not sure of it's origin, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking and I cannot wait for SPRING!!!

Ill Digger
02-18-2010, 12:10 AM
I hoping soon we'll all be finding some of the good stuff you did.
That medal is really cool !
Thanks for the fix !
HH :grin:

xzlr8n
02-18-2010, 01:08 AM
After looking at the pics I took of the of medal, I googled some of the info unmasked in the close-ups and found out it is a Civil War Veteran medal made from bronze of Confederate cannons :shocked04:. And I had this in my scrap relic cup :embarrassed:.

Here is a link showing one in pristine condition: http://www.antiquearts.com/5052/PictPage/1920665052.html

Here is an eBay item with great detail: http://cgi.ebay.com/CIVIL-WAR-VETERANS-BADGE-GAR-GRAND-ARMY-OF-THE-REPUBLIC_W0QQitemZ290401616358QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439d4901e6

del
02-18-2010, 03:32 AM
sweet historical item ya found , all the G.A.R. related items are very cool to find and usually very decorated or ornate looking and thats a great lesson to all the newbs too. never throw anything out unless your absolutely sure its junk. congrats

John M
02-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Nice looking group of relis.I like the complete photo matte and the brooche looking piece in the bottom photo.

coinnut
02-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey, that medal is sweet!! If you ever wanted to restore it, you have pictures of what it should look like. Ribbon is cheap and you could bring back most of it. Either way, it makes a nice center piece for a display. Time to look through some more junk stuff, maybe you got a rare gold coin kicking around lol Don't you wish :rolleyes:

tanacat
02-18-2010, 10:36 AM
That medal is awesome! thumbsup01 Thanks for sharing your batch of goodies... this winter seems to be going by so slooowly.

Ill Digger
02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Look through that cup and see if you got the pin part ! :-\
That would be the best! :yes:
But the pin probably stayed on and the medal went sailing. :-\
Nice home work, Congrats again :grin:

RickO
02-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Great find.... that medal is sure special... HH RickO