PDA

View Full Version : Christmas digging

z118
12-26-2011, 09:32 PM
The mild weather is still holding out in upstate NY. I was able to get out on the 23rd, 24th, and 26th. We've been getting a lot of rain though, so most areas are pretty swampy. That and temps around 30 make for some rough digging at times but I'm still glad just to be able to get out.

On Friday I hunted a modern park for some clad and a silver bead and end piece to a bracelet. On the way home I hit an oddball tot lot which was surprisingly productive, giving up 82 coins total though most were pennies.

On Saturday I headed to a field at a modern school where during my first hunt there a few weeks ago I pulled an 1896 Indian Head cent and a button from the early 1900's. Those finds had me curious to see what else could be found. The answer turned out to be not much, though I did land a handful of wheats in another area of the school grounds which makes me think some silver may be lurking.

On Monday morning I hit a local park, where a construction job earlier this year gave up many silvers. I've been trying to find silver in the rest of the park without much luck. Today was no different. As I headed back to my car I passed over the construction area, which is now complete and green with new grass. I was thinking now that the dirt has had time to settle a bit it make be a little easier on the E-trac. Sure enough, I got a nice signal which proved to be a badly scraped '38 Merc. I poked around the area a bit more but didn't get anything else.

In the afternoon I figured I'd shoot for some clad, so I headed to a local school that I hunted silly when I first started detecting. There's still coins there though, plus all the stuff I missed (junk, nickels, hopefully gold). Not too long into the hunt I hit a horrific, wonky signal. Weird signals like that are exciting, as I'm always curious to see what they are. This was turned out to be a crappy, corroded junk ring right next to a nice sterling silver ring. That made my day! A few targets later I hit a deeper sounding coin tone and was shocked to pull a '54 Rosie about 6 inches down. I have dug a total of 2,478 coins from this school and not a dang one of them was silver until now. Most likely a modern drop but I'll take silver any way I can get it.

Long story short, total for the Christmas weekend was 329 coins worth $24.98 which includes two silver dimes and a handful of wheats. Throw in the silver ring and jewelry pieces, the usual tokens, keys, trinkets, and junk and it was not a bad weekend at all, especially for late December.

Happy Hunting!

Hook
12-26-2011, 09:48 PM
thats a good hunt and congrats on the silvers Zman! glad to see you still diggin this late in the year.

tanacat
12-26-2011, 10:00 PM
:shocked03: That's a lot of clad! Neat how you keep tally of the #'s at different sites. Congrats on all the silver- that looks like a chunky heavy silver ring :clapping:

Nice you've had some time to get out and dig this month. I've been busy with my 2 young boys lately...

jkress
12-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Way to go Z. :clapping: You always seem to get some nice keepers every time you go out. :yes:
Congrats on the clad numbers and especially the Merc, Rosie, 925 and Wheat cents. :happydance01:
Love the description of the places you are hunting. :drool:

This December weather is awesome. :cheering:

randy
12-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Wow, that is an awful lot of coins :shocked03:, congrats

aloldstuff
12-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I'll agree with ya, not a bad weekend of digging. Congrats on the ring, merc and wheats

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Wow, that is a LOT of Christmas digging! :shocked04:

329 coins is amazing!

Very impressive pile of coins including some nice keepers! thumbsup01

serega
12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
You dig near the bank building :shocked03:thinkingabout: congratulations :clapping: - MUCH COINS