PDA

View Full Version : Found my oldest coin yet! 1820 LC!

Hook
12-26-2011, 09:40 PM
I am still in shock from what i found earlier this afternoon. While hunting eith a buddy along those sidewalk strips right around where i found that barber half last week, i got a deep quarter signal about 6 inches down on the ace 250. Cut the plug and its still in the hole, so i loosened up some dirt in the bottom and as my buddy was walking towards me , i see the large dark disc full of dirt in the hole. I get it out and cant figure what it is..then i think LC? naaaa..well could be lol
Rub some dirt off and i think i see the words one ce in between the crud on it. I rinsed it off in a puddle and YES!!! My first and only large cent i'll ever see probably lol.
1820...with the ace 250! what in the world am i gonna find if i ever upgrade detectors? l :grin:. never in my wildest dreams did i ever think i would find a coin this old.
Thanks for looking everyone and HH!!

del
12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: [size=1:crazy:t]Woooo Hoooooo Congrats on your first large copper :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

she 's in very nice shape too Hook :smitten: :smitten: well done :beerbuddy:

tanacat
12-26-2011, 09:51 PM
That is so cool you found an LC in a sidewalk strip!!! :cheering: :clapping: |:confused:)
Just read somewhere online they are considered #2 good spot to hunt (out of 10).

:beerbuddy: Big time congrats on your 1st LC Hook! :peace: :happydance01: <:

I've only found 2 and my oldest is an 1820 also :yes: It's been soaking in olive oil for about a year. But I dry it off and admire it about once a month lol

Hook
12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
That is so cool you found an LC in a sidewalk strip!!! :cheering: :clapping: |:confused:)
Just read somewhere online they are considered #2 good spot to hunt (out of 10).

:beerbuddy: Big time congrats on your 1st LC Hook! :peace: :happydance01: <:

I've only found 2 and my oldest is an 1820 also :yes: It's been soaking in olive oil for about a year. But I dry it off and admire it about once a month lol

thanks Tana!! i have become a firm believer in sidewalk strips this summer, after finding a walker half, a barber half, 2 silver quarters, and now the LC also. I am now a sidewalk hunter ! lol

There are a lot of sidewalks in this oldest part of town where i found the barber and LC, so i will be haunting them for the entire winter ! :grin:

z118
12-26-2011, 10:01 PM
One more than one occasion I have found myself scrambling for the nearest puddle to rinse off some exciting find. That's a fun feeling! Congrats on a sweet large cent.

tanacat
12-26-2011, 10:05 PM
thanks Tana!! i have become a firm believer in sidewalk strips this summer, after finding a walker half, a barber half, 2 silver quarters, and now the LC also. I am now a sidewalk hunter ! lol

There are a lot of sidewalks in this oldest part of town where i found the barber and LC, so i will be haunting them for the entire winter ! :grin:

Thanks for the motivation to do the same! I admit I get a bit nervous with cars driving near my head (on busy streets- downtown Lexington is so inviting). But I wait and actually dig when the traffic is slower w/the red lights :yes:

milco
12-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Congrats on a super find! Hard to believe that was in a sidewalk strip and eluded years of sidewalk/street contruction and repair. WTG!

Hook
12-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Congrats on a super find! Hard to believe that was in a sidewalk strip and eluded years of sidewalk/street contruction and repair. WTG!

i agree with you 100 %. For the barber half, well that strip was a wide one and the coin was pretty much in the middle..pretty far from either edge. But the LC was literally 2 inches from the sidewalk edge. Now i doubt the sidewalk was put down anywhere near the 1820's so it's amazing that it stayed put while the sidewalk was put in. A couple of inches over and i wouldnt be writing this lol.

jkress
12-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Score!! <:

She's a beauty. Especially for the first. :smitten: My first, and only, was in terrible shape.
The Ace sniffed out a great one for sure.

Congrats Hook. :clapping:

randy
12-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Wow, that's a nice one. :smitten: Sounds like that section of town might have virgin sidewalk strips.

I've kinda taken to that myself a bit -- it is definitely a different style of hunting -- that small coil on the ace 250 may not be so bad -- the big stock coil on the E-Trac can be a bit much for strips given the massive amount of trash.

CODY
12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
:wow: Excellent find. Congrats.

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2011, 10:28 AM
That's a wonderful coin! :smitten:

Congrats on the great find! :clapping:

serega
12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
1820 :perfect10: :clapping:
Cool ! :drool:

Ill Digger
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Whoa! :shocked01: Nice one! <:
Right along the edge of the sidewalks is one of my favorite places to hunt too! :yes: thumbsup01
Sweet find Hook!
Congrats! :grin:

aloldstuff
12-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Hook, huge congrats on that recovery. You must be pumped. She's in pretty good shape to.

Hook
12-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Hook, huge congrats on that recovery. You must be pumped. She's in pretty good shape to.

you bet i'm pumped lol. i'm still all excited about that one. never woulda thought i could find something like that with the ace. no telling what i'll find when i break down and get the etrac :cheesysmile:

thanks for all the nice comments everyone!!! |:cheering:

JTGOLD
12-29-2011, 11:18 AM
1820 :wow: great find,wtg.

Ytcoinshooter
12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
That is going to clean up very well.
Congrats!

Forino
01-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Nice going. Congrats!